Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest March

Options
  • 05-12-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here take part in it or just watched it passing by yesterday? I did the latter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mate of mine was at it, said they were disappointed with the turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Was there and as has been the case for the past few marches in Galway, very disappointed at the turn out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They should try to come up with a few new slogans. The ones they have clearly aren't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

I'm not in Galway, but a neighbouring county and never heard a word about it, before or until now.

It's a shame some kind of national protest or something isn't organised and enough support drummed up, through boards, facebook and any other medium available, to get everyone to go to their main county town or something.

The weather's a prob for most people getting to the major cities, but surely there'd be a large enough number of people willing and able to go to a nearby town and demand a default to attract attention? I know it'd be scattered and wouldn't attract national media coverage in every town, but it'd get the point across through local media...

Just wait 'til the budget, lots of people will be wishing in reterospect that they'd spoken out before it methinks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'm not in Galway, but a neighbouring county and never heard a word about it, before or until now.

It's a shame some kind of national protest or something isn't organised and enough support drummed up, through boards, facebook and any other medium available, to get everyone to go to their main county town or something.

The weather's a prob for most people getting to the major cities, but surely there'd be a large enough number of people willing and able to go to a nearby town and demand a default to attract attention? I know it'd be scattered and wouldn't attract national media coverage in every town, but it'd get the point across through local media...

Just wait 'til the budget, lots of people will be wishing in reterospect that they'd spoken out before it methinks...

There were a few nationwide protests and marches. I was away for the Galway one unfortunately, but did get FB messages about it and the Dublin one(s)

Too bad about turnout.

Speaking out isn't going to magic away the hole in public finances (year to date exchequer deficit at end-November 2010 was €13,300,000,000.00)

There are plenty of threads about organising national protests in politics or Irish economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

Speaking out isn't going to magic away the hole in public finances (year to date exchequer deficit at end-November 2010 was €13,300,000,000.00)

Sorry, I wasn't really getting at what I meant... that people might be sorry after the budget that they didn't indicate a stronger willingness to revolt and not take as much sh1t from the gov't as they're willing to dish out to us... If this was France we'd be out in massive numbers and pushing for default...might such action not possibly mediate the budget/what kind of system we have to live within in the coming years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In fairness I only saw them recruiting on shop street, and in the same spot as the anti isreal nutjob usually is.

Since they didnt seem to be recruiting anywhere else, I thought there was a chance the groups were related so I wasn't happy marching under that banner.

Galway is hard to get a message out to, though. Locals who drive avoid town ( I know I did) and there isnt a local paper that everyone actually reads (skipping to the job ads in the advertiser every week doesnt count)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Anything that Catherine Connolly is in I am out of there :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement