Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fancy schmancy sausage

Options
  • 05-12-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any thoughts for a half pound of smoked sausages that have landed in my fridge? I picked up a packet of four (made by a butchers in Galway; yes, I fell for the sales patter when I hit the Xmas fair at the RDS on Friday) but I have no idea what to do with them.

Any recipe ideas for hearty stews, casseroles, etc, which I can make today and freeze into portions for during the week?

I've tins of borlotti, kidney and pinto beans, plus chickpeas, here in my pantry. I also have onion, garlic and tinned tomatoes...

Any pointers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

With the beans and good pork, I'd try something like a Cassoulet at this time of year.
    Google search sausage cassoulet, something suitable will turn up.

It is a French staple, especially around Toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah, DEFO cassoulet!

Nyoms :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

+1 on the cassoulet!

If you don't fancy that, go for simple bangers & mash. Lots of creamy mashed potato, your fancy sausages (grilled, fried or done in the oven) and some thick gravy, preferably with onions.

Found a recipe, reworked it a little.
    An easy and satisfying version of a traditional French casserole.
    A dash of white wine would also be a good idea

Prep: 10 min - Bake: 35 min

2 tablespoons Butter
    2 medium (1/2 cup) carrots, chopped
    1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
    1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
    2 cans beans, rinsed, drained
    4 sausages cut into 3rds
    1 can tomato
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oven to 350°F.
    Oil a caserole dish casserole.
    Melt butter in 10-inch skillet until sizzling; add carrots, onion and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened (3 to 5 minutes).
    Brown the sausages

Combine onion mixture, beans, sausage, tomatos and thyme in prepared casserole.
    Cover; bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and carrots are crisply tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

To add a special touch to this dish, sprinkle a bread crumb topping over the casserole.
    To prepare the topping, combine 1 tablespoon Butter,
    1/2 cup dried bread crumbs,
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic in a pan.
    Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until bread crumbs are golden brown (3 to 5 minutes).
    Sprinkle crumb topping over bean mixture.
    Bake as directed above.

Makes 4 servings

I'd do the Chikpeas separatley, with corriander and red onion.
    Delia Smith has a good recipe for chickpea cakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This is a recipe that Nigel Slater cooked a couple of weeks ago on his current series of "simple suppers".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sausage_and_bean_soup_15225

It looked wonderful - my TV isn't equipped for smell yet!

I reckon it would work for any interesting sausages.

• Advertisement

Decided to take my own advice :P

Cooked a cassoulet based on the suggested ingredients

cass4cooked.jpg

2 tablespoons Butter
    2 medium (1/2 cup) carrots, chopped
    1 medium (1/2 cup) leek, chopped
    1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
    1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
    800 gm soaked homegrown or 2 cans haricot beans, rinsed, drained
    I added some tinned kidney beans to bulk out the white beans.
    4 sausages cut into 3rds
    - pick what you like, I a mix of apple leek and peppered from a local butcher.
    100 gm black pudding (optional)
    100 gm bacon or rashers, diced (optional)

1 can chopped tomato
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oven to 180°C.
    Oil a casserole dish casserole.
    Melt butter in a pan until sizzling; add carrots, onion and garlic.
    Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened (3 to 5 minutes).
    Brown the sausages, bacon and black pudding.
    Combine onion mixture, meats, sausage, tomato's and thyme in prepared casserole.
    Cover; bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and carrots are crisply tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

Again, I am trying to take a French dish and give it an Irish twist, and it came out quite well.
    I grew and dried Haricot and Borlotti beans this year.
    But if you cannot find Haricot beans, there is an option - not great but it's still there - that is to buy baked beans and rinse off the tomato sauce, but there will always be a slight hint of that flavour which is not the idea for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hey, OP here - thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm afraid I got impatient and ended up simply browning the sausages, tipping them onto a plate for a little while, turning down the heat and frying a chopped onion in the same pan. Then I returned the sausages to the pan, along with a tin of *cannellini beans and a tin of chopped tomatoes and a dash of tobasco.

Fairly nom nom... but now I wish I'd held off and checked out these recipes first!

Thanks again...

* oops, must have been borlotti beans.

Advertisement