Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 or i5 gaming build?

Options
  • 05-12-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    A friend of mine has asked me to build him a gaming PC for around 1000. I'm debating whether to get him to push the boat out for an i7 build or stick with an i5 build. I can drop the SSD off the i7 build but I'd like to keep it if possible as I use one myself and find they make a big difference. I've posted the builds below, using ebuyer for sake of convenience, I'm sure I could probably source parts cheaper elsewhere. He has a 22 inch monitor and an OS already. Any thoughts/suggestions? The build will probably need to last for the next 4 years. He also was pretty insistent on having the blu-ray drive and the wireless network card.

RR9HM.jpgfQTfh.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What else will he be using it for other than gaming? Unless its 24/7 protein folding or CPU-heavy workstation-class apps usage there's no point in getting an i7 - its HyperThreading avails it naught in games and not enough to justify the price and added power usage during basic PC usage (OS/web/office/media).

Even if there's call for an i7 there's another choice available - an LGA1156 i7. The same raw power as an LGA1366 i7 minus just a small slice of memory bandwidth and high-end versatility in return for a dramatic reduction in platform costs (much cheaper mobo chipset and no need for tri-channel DDR3 can as much as halve the cost of those two items!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

LGA1156 i7 is well worth it imo, solitaire is spot on about the cost savings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I'll put an i7 860 build together and see how that goes. Anything else there I could tweak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Is the 60GB ssd enough? I'm using a 128GB and I always find myself moving and deleting files to make space.

Also I just noticed memory is getting nice and cheap again thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

Ok, went and bought the i7 860, thanks for the advice guys! Cork45, I do the same with my 128gb drive, but it's mainly for a boot drive and only the most frequently played games will go on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

with the money saved from dropping to the 860, why not add another 60gb ssd and raid them bad boy's.

Advertisement