Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Christmas Cake

Options
  • 05-12-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I decided to make a Christmas cake this year but don't want to do the traditional fruit cake as we are not great lovers of it in this house.
    I want to make something that will last longer than a sponge.
    I was thinking of doing a chocolate biscuit cake and icing with white chocolate ganache. Has anyone done this and does the icing last long?
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Chocolate Biscuit Cake is a really popular alternative Christmas Cake this year. You can cover it in sugarpaste (and almond paste too if one so desired, I hate the stuff) and decorate it the same way you would a normal Christmas Cake. The ganache mighn't last as long as the sugarpaste, but would still get a good few days out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zollie

Thanks for the suggestions, the panettone sounds good but need something without dried fruit in it.
    I think I'll make the biscuit cake and use ganache but wait til the last minute to ice it. I hate the almond icing so will be staying well clear of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

There's no need to wait until the last minute to ice it, chocolate biscuit cake will last fine for at least a week once iced, if not longer.

Advertisement