Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College review

Options
  • 05-12-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am currently repeating the LC and again reviewing what college I should end up next year.

I just missed out on dcu last year and I currently do see as my 1st choice but just wondering what Limerick is like? I never considered it properly last year because I live a long distance from it but I am seriously considering it now.

Can anyone please comment on the university itself regarding quality of the business and accounting courses, the campus itself, nightlife, sport and particularly accommodation.

I would be very grateful, cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its unreal, simples!

I cant comment on business courses. But the campus is massive, a mix of brand new and old facilites, it does have the arena with 50m pool etc which is a big selling point. Nightlife wise, Limerick City has 3 main clubs, with a few other smaller ones and discobars like Mollys etc, also alternative places like Bakers etc. The lodge nightclub is just up the road from UL, an experience...! 2 bars on campus also.

Majority of people you meet are sound, I've made some great friends this year

Theres a thread there about accommodation, but if possible try get a place off campus, far far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

I agree with neon circles.I am a first year Business student and lioke the course so far.One word on accomadation for 1st year=PLASSEY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

1st year Business here. Im doing the BBS course, im assuming thats the one your interested in. The course is difficult enough imo, requires effort right from the beginning but once you make that effort you will be fine. The course has an excellent reputation with employers, UL business graduates have a 90%+employment rate even with the recession. If you have never studied Accounting before, that is something you are going to find difficult, but again dont worry, I didnt and I went to PSLG sessions which you'll be told about when you get here and they helped alot.
    the other subjects are management principles, Microeconomics, Business info management and communications for BBS, all are manageable with some effort although there are some complicated graphs and equations in it.
    Nightlife: I can simply say ive had the best 3 months of my life! Icame here with no friends fgrom school but by week 3 I had made a totally new circle of friends. Im not one for going out all that often to be honest but there will ALWAYS be something to do at night. Most of the clubs in town do special rates on certain nights. One thing I will say is join as many clubs and socties as you can, they have made the last 3 months for me and most of my best friends are through clubs and socs.
    Campus: I really like it, I find apart from going out at night ive got no reason to leave campus because everything is here. Theres shops, bars restauraunts a gym and much more. The main building is a nightmare to get around though, I still havent figured it out. All the other buildings are really easy to find. For example S114+schuman building,1st floor, room 14.
    I find everyone really friendly and approchable and any problems you might have are easily solved.
    Sport: As I mentioned there is a gym on campus as well as numerous clubs which involve sport so theres loads of sport.
    Most 1st years stay in Plassey Village but I personally wouldnt stay there. Im in Dromroe which is alot more expensive but much better and you have your own bathroom too.
    Long post I know but I think I've covered everything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Accommodation in Limerick is the cheapest in the country amongst the University towns. €265 a month would get you a very very nice en-suite room in a very very nice house. Even on campus is competitive compared to off campus around Dublin and that includes everything right down to 24 hour on call security.

http://blog.daft.ie/2010/08/daft-rental-report-rents-unchanged/

I did business. The main advantage is that you will likely get a co-op in a company that you could get a job with in future. This is of benefit when it comes to distinguishing work ethic from exam performance. I didn't achieve the necessary grades to meet minimum entry requirements for most accounting firms, but it got overlooked by the company I was on co-op with as they knew I was capable of doing the work. You won't get this sort of opportunity elsewhere. On the downside, contact hours aren't great and classes are big, but that's specific to the first 3 semesters and just Accounting and Finance thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

Thanks a million 4 the replys very helpful, cheers!!

Just one word of warning; txt spk dsn't go dwn wel rnd hre! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Advertisement