Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money saving tips

Options
  • 05-12-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hope this is the right place for this thread

Like everyone at the moment I am looking to shave a few quid here and there and have looked at the following options in order to save money
    1. switch gas and electric to airtricity with bg at moment
    2. energy saving lightbulbs throughout the house
    3. Switch phone and broadband to wimax with imagine with perlico at moment
    4. Cancel AA membership 196 euro per year covered with quinn direct for breakdown
    5. buy all cleaning products for house etc in lidl
    6. bring sky membership down to basic package

Anyone else got moneysaving tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Gas to flogas, electricity to Bord Gais.
    Phone & BB to UPC.
    Negotiate package price for TV.
    Turn heating down.
    Shop in Aldi.
    Have clearout & sell what you don't need.
    Walk instead of drive on short journeys.
    Petrol in tesco & accumulate points for next Xmas shop (€50 to spend instate beats 2c per litre saving).
    Be creative with cooking & use leftovers. Whole chicken is marginally more than 2 chicken breasts & gets you 2 meals & a soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,060 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Eat all the food you buy. On average 30% is thown away by Irish households costing €1000 per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Use your Laser card whenever possible, removes tempation to overspend with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Signup to one of the Betamax operators based on where you call most.

http://backsla.sh/betamax

On the chart above Irish mobiles are currently cheapest with cheapvoip.com 4.4cent / minute.

Get a cheap voip phone (not one of the USB one your plugin ala skype)
    Linksys PAP2 adapter or a siemens voip gigaset and use that for all your calls. Also paid a euro for a landline number.

1 Euro does me for 6 months of landline calls to most of the world and I pay around 14c/minute.

Also when I got abroad I buy a SIM card for usually around 5 - 10 euros, register it on justvoip and use a local dialin number to use my existing justvoip account.

I.E. when I was in Ireland last I dialed the dublin justvoip dialin number then rang someone in Germany for the price of a local call :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Use your Laser card whenever possible, removes tempation to overspend with cash.

but you pay a 20c fee every time you use it, as with the atm, pretty much all the free fee banking is gone
    gotta laugh when i see people using laser for a purchase of less than a fiver, and don't even want cashback
    get a credit card, set up a direct debit to pay off 100% every month, and learn some self control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

but you pay a 20c fee every time you use it, as with the atm, pretty much all the free fee banking is gone
    gotta laugh when i see people using laser for a purchase of less than a fiver, and don't even want cashback
    get a credit card, set up a direct debit to pay off 100% every month, and learn some self control

Had a laser card and now a visa debit and have never ever been charged anything extra for using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Are you joking? You have a very condescending tone which is strange for a post on boards.

i have never paid a fee for using Laser and most banks are still free banking. With BOI you only need to do three online transaction a quarter to qualify which is easy.

Anybody paying fees for personal banking these days is a fool. Are you paying for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

thanks some very interesting points except the tesco petrol bit , if would never put tesco petrol in my car it has be proven that tesco petrol is crap and will destroy your engine

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

If you have a sky Tv subscription ring them and tell them you are cancelling because it is too expensive.
    You will get it at half price for the next six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

thanks some very interesting points except the tesco petrol bit , if would never put tesco petrol in my car it has be proven that tesco petrol is crap and will destroy your engine

Absolute nonsense. Where did you read that?

The "best" petrol is the petrol from a high-throughput filling station. Otherwise standard 95RON petrol is all the same.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Absolute nonsense. Where did you read that?

The "best" petrol is the petrol from a high-throughput filling station. Otherwise standard 95RON petrol is all the same.

SSE

All the fuel comes from the same place anyway.

Its possible the station itself may have an issue with the filtering system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Keep all doors closed to keep in the heating.
    Get rid of Sky/UPC/whatever. Get freesat box (Can use previous Sky dish.
    Buy as many AA and AAA batteries as ya think ya'll need for the next year :) (Most makes doing 100% free at the moment)
    Or use rechargables
    LED lights on your bike (If you use one) as opposed to halogen.
    Turn everything off at the socket at night (Many appliances still use about 25% power at standby)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Most of you probably already know this but if you have health insurance you can switch to the corporate plans. They're cheaper and provide mostly better benefits. The benefits are not exactly the same though so compare them carefully before switching

Advertisement