Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding camera van on dual carraigeway

Options
  • 05-12-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Watch your speed entering the motarway near the Kilmartins turn off I have seen one of the new speed vans lurking just 100 metres before it changes to 120 kph. You would get caught nicely as you would be just picking up speed coming on to the motarway.
    Ive seen it there on three occasions now.

Comments

athlonelad wrote: »
    Watch your speed entering the motarway near the Kilmartins turn off I have seen one of the new speed vans lurking just 100 metres before it changes to 120 kph. You would get caught nicely as you would be just picking up speed coming on to the motarway.
    Ive seen it there on three occasions now.

I saw it there earlier, I don't expect them to get any "customers" today, to exceed 100kmh today would be suicidal!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Yeah but Ive seen them in that very spot 3 times. Its a load of BS about them being for "safety". That is a sneaky place right at the end of the 100kph zone. When this frost and snow clears there will be penalty points galore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

They are set up to catch people going from the 100 km/h section into the 120 km/h section?

whyulittle wrote: »
    They are set up to catch people going from the 100 km/h section into the 120 km/h section?

The camera is just after the last bend where people speed up before the end of the 100 limit, call me cynical, but if this isn't an attempt to maximise revenue, I don't know what is! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

The camera is just after the last bend where people speed up before the end of the 100 limit, call me cynical, but if this isn't an attempt to maximise revenue, I don't know what is! :mad:

Exactly... This is hardly an accident blackspot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I see there's one listed for the "blink and you'll miss it" stretch of road that is Tubber. Never thought that was an accident black spot either, although I haven't seen a camera van there yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I see there's one listed for the "blink and you'll miss it" stretch of road that is Tubber. Never thought that was an accident black spot either, although I haven't seen a camera van there yet

School beside this stretch. Think of the children :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There HQ is in Blyry industrial estate. Ive seen 4 of them drive one after another in and out of there pass where i work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I work in Blyry Mon-Fri, haven't seen any of the vans yet. Either they're out early and back late or I've just managed to miss them every time.

Yeah going from the 100kph to 120kph stretch and sitting in the middle is just being a sneaky bastard. Plop them in the middle of bypass if you want to catch the real speeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Where exactly are they sitting, as I still haven't seen them.

According to the map on the Garda site, the enforcement zone where they can operate ends at the flyover at Junction 8 - so if you were joining eastbound at Kilmartins, you should be fine.

I'd personally consider once you are under that flyover, that's where the bypass ends. Again looking at the map, the blue line starts a couple of hundred yards down the road, but GoSafe shouldn't be operating there.

• Advertisement

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    I work in Blyry Mon-Fri, haven't seen any of the vans yet. Either they're out early and back late or I've just managed to miss them every time.

No, this was last week - and the week before i seen them, our place is only a few hundred yards from where you lot are based - they drove up past us and up toward where flancare are

It's hardly in that "Max Park" place? Though Flancare is a bit further up, will have to keep the eyes open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dmac1989

Yeah but Ive seen them in that very spot 3 times. Its a load of BS about them being for "safety". That is a sneaky place right at the end of the 100kph zone. When this frost and snow clears there will be penalty points galore!!

Of course its here for safety. There is a speed limit of 100kph for a reason. How is it sneaky, if everyone stuck to the correct speed limits there would be no problems. You clearly speed at that section of the road or you wound`nt be complaing. What makes you think you can speed here, you must be some sort of superhuman who dosnt have to conform to laws like evryone else. Its that exact additude why these speed cameras have to be used on the roads. For clowns who think there beter drivers than everyone else.

Safety my hole, it's a straight enough road with a slight bend, and it's just at the point where it changes from 100kph to 120kph and from 120kph to 100kph, it's a revenue generator and nothing more.

If they really wanted to catch people speeding to prevent an accident, they wouldn't do it just at the speed changeover, they'd do it further down the road, in the middle, where the speed is a max 100kph for a solid distance and not a speed zone swap. If you're still doing 120kph or more in the middle of the bypass, then yes, you deserve the points and penalty. If you're going from the 120kph zone to 100kph zone and you're just over the limit, that's complete bollox. It's just an easy way to make money.

Out of interest, anyone know of an accident that has happened at the point athlonelad has mentioned? Wasn't the hole point of these speed vans to place them at accident blackspots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Yeah I had an accident there once. Pissed my pants , terribly embaressing! Thankfully there was no camera vans to catch my "accident" on tape!

But seriously some of the locations for these speed cameras are ridiculous. Especially that one on the dualler!
    But I think they has been 2 accidents on the dual carraigeway/motorway in recent months. One between the ballymahon road and coosan exits, and the other on the way to dublin after kilmartins. Not sure if there were any fatalities, but they may have been put on that stretch as they may have felt a trend starting to emerge.
    Still they suck cock, and they should spend the money improving Regional and national roads, and education instead of these stupid camera vans and traffic corps police (to an extent of course!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Plop them in the middle of bypass if you want to catch the real speeders.

As opposed to the fake speeders ?

I'm talking about people obviously doing 140kph over the bypass. From start to finish, it's a bit unfair to target those speeding up or down at the entry / exit to various zones. But if you're flooring it right through while the rest of us are sticking to the limit over a continuous length, yes you deserve the points.

dmac1989 wrote: »
    Of course its here for safety. There is a speed limit of 100kph for a reason. How is it sneaky, if everyone stuck to the correct speed limits there would be no problems. You clearly speed at that section of the road or you wound`nt be complaing. What makes you think you can speed here, you must be some sort of superhuman who dosnt have to conform to laws like evryone else. Its that exact additude why these speed cameras have to be used on the roads. For clowns who think there beter drivers than everyone else.

No i dont tend to speed at section of the road because I would be usually taking that exit. I put up the post to warn other road users. The fact that the van was actually so close to the 120 sign is what annoyed me. If someone can not see that this is a money making opperation,then they are a clown.

Lets be honest here dmac, it is not a dangerous section of road and I would prefer to see these so called "safety vans" on dangerous stretches of road where accidents happen due to speeding. Not shooting fish in a barrell 50 metres from where the speed limit is almost 74 miles an hour!:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

If someone can not see that this is a money making opperation,then they are a clown.

Are these speed camera are privately owned ? I'll send of an e-mail to the garda press office asking them who revives the money from fine, and also if there happy with the location of this camera even thou the RSA advertisements said that these camera were to be located at accident black spots, which this is not. ;)

Are these speed camera are privately owned ? . ;)

Yes.

They however are paid per hour not per fine

But claims that the privately operated speed cameras will be 'shooting fish in a barrel' were rejected yesterday as the private company involved will be paid by the hour, not per offender detected.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Yes.

They however are paid per hour not per fine

They are restricted to the roads marked out by the gardai and on the garda website. Of course they will be under some kind of pressure to detect speeders otherwise whats the point in having them.
    My only problem is that they have a four or five mile stretch of the N6 which they can operate in but choose to do so 50 metres from where the road becomes the M6 and where the speed limit is significantly greater. of course i can see the advantages of having the speed vans but I think its a disgrace that they promote them saying they are only putting them in blackspots when this clearly is not the case in this instance, this is one of the finest stretches of road in the country and to be only metres from where the speed limit is then 74 miles an hour

Advertisement