Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Of Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

NO
    we have enough Dole leaches, no need to add more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

RTE should do a show where they trace the descendants of the Kings of Ireland and we'll put them back in power. Then Link will appear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

A royal family? Why in the name of God would anyone in their right mind want to take orders from some twat who's daddy used to be in charge. This isent America.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

A royal family? Why in the name of God would anyone in their right mind want to take orders from some twat who's daddy used to be in charge. This isent America.:rolleyes:
    Brian. Brian. Mary. Enda. Olwyn. Mildred. etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

America ? I presume your reffering to the bushes , but they were democratically elected , well kind of . The kennedys are referred to as the royal family of america , damn plastic paddys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

We have enough toothless, dumb, inbred, braindead f*cks in this country, why would you need royalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Edward the Bruce wasn't the High King, he failed in his bid to claim thr throne, he was more of a self-proclaimed King, the 3 families probably with the biggest claim to it would be
    The O'Briens
    The O'Neills
    The O'Connors

I'm O'Brien, my Nan is O'Neill so do I win? I also live next door to an O'Connor. I was knew I was born to be royalty, I'm not liking this serf lifestyle at all.

We were a dynasty at one stage :mad::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

lcrcboy wrote: »
    If Brian Boru had not been killed and left king of Ireland without later interference from the British and other Irish kings do you think his family would still be in power in Ireland would we have a monarchy state or would they be like the British royal family and just a symbol of the sate.
    Would you support having a Irish royal family or be against it??

Ill put in a poll aswell for the hell of it :D

Technically Ireland still has a "royal family" per sa. The O'Conor-Dons of Clonalis House in Co. Roscommon are direct descendants of the last High King of Ireland - Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair. You could say that they technically are heirs to the thrown of Ireland. A man named Desmond O'Conor-Don is actually the heir to the title 'King' or 'High-King of Ireland'.

http://www.clonalis.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Conor_Don

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

RMD wrote: »
    Even if Boru hadn't been killed the British would have eventually colonized Ireland. Think about it, they ruled a huge amount of the known world and were at 1 point the strongest empire worldwide. Colonies extending from America to India. I think it's safe to say at one point or another they certainly would have taken over Ireland, regardless who was in charge.

There is no way we could have ever properly resisted the British army, we could have certainly caused them some trouble like the war of independence, but we could definitely never have completely resisted them.

Tragically you're right. The British were coming here no matter what. But then we wouldn't have the sad songs and the underdog spirit ;). There's a number of possibilities in relation to what alternative scenarios could have played out. I'm always dubious about stories of glorious heroes , I'm too wary of it being propaganda and spin. But alas we can only speculate. I'd imagine life could be tough on the island but the huge native forest and pagan freedom would have been amazing. Nothing that's that good ever lasts unfortunately. They had to follow us over and spoil the fun :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Tragically you're right. The British were coming here no matter what. But then we wouldn't have the sad songs and the underdog spirit ;). There's a number of possibilities in relation to what alternative scenarios could have played out. I'm always dubious about stories of glorious heroes , I'm too wary of it being propaganda and spin. But alas we can only speculate. I'd imagine life could be tough on the island but the huge native forest and pagan freedom would have been amazing. Nothing that's that good ever lasts unfortunately. They had to follow us over and spoil the fun :p.

Didn't Irish groups invade Scotland (the Dal Riada I think) in the 10th century or so?
    I wonder what Ireland would have been like if the Romans invaded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Hail, King Bertie McMurracowen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

boutros boutros galli

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

the last native Ard Rí (High King) is often stated to have been Ruaidhrí Ua Conchobair (in English, Rory or Roderick O'Connor), a member of the Ua Conchobair dynasty who were kings of Connacht and Ireland at the time. He died in the twelfth century. Although British control over the country did not become firmly established until the seventeenth century, Norman forces controlled the Pale, an area around Dublin, from the late twelfth century, and it became difficult for any Irish king to gain control over the entire island. Although they might be regarded as usurpers, the kings and queens of Britain began to style themselves as monarchs of Ireland also.
    Me personally I think we should crown Michael Flatly king of Ireland. He is such a lovely dancer.
    Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_the_Last_King_of_Ireland#ixzz17LaYvLex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Lord Inchiquin, prince of Thomond, tenth baronet of Lemeneagh, direct descendent of Brian Boru and Clareman Conor O’Brien is being proposed as the ideal independent candidate for the Irish presidential election
    Source:
    http://www.clarepeople.com/wordp5/201011214688/brian-boru-descendent-would-consider-bid-for-presidency/
    The O'Brien dynasty (Irish: Uí Briain or Ua Briain; Modern: Ó Briain) are a royal and noble house founded in the 10th century by Brian Bóruma of the Dál gCais or Dalcassians. After becoming King of Munster, through conquest he established himself as High King of Ireland.
    Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Brien_dynasty

Advertisement