Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Lazy Journalists

Options
  • 05-12-2010 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Have you noticed in recent years how lazy our journalists are? They always seem to chase the low hanging fruit such as TD's expenses etc. adopting a herd-like approach - rarely do you see any indepth research into what's really going on behind the scenes. Once you've read one article in the Sunday Indo, you've almost read them all - and then they increase the price by 8% at a time when they're berating everyone in sight for any signs of perks etc. - only in Ireland!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I stopped reading after "chase the low hanging fruit"...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

eth0_ wrote: »
    I stopped reading after "chase the low hanging fruit"...

I stopped reading after "posts: 1"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I stopped reading. TV FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Doesn't the one company own most of the media here anyway?

P.s, ignore the snobs above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The (first time poster) OP may have a point, but it's not really a Rip-off thread, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I agree, not really a 'rip off thread' but I really hate journalists who add 'gate' to the end of any scandal. Think of an original title for God sake...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

I stopped reading. TV FTW.

So does that mean you're not able to read this right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

OP is alison o'riordan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Lazy Journalist is Lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Mactard wrote: »
    Lazy Journalist is LazyGate

FYP:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

We might just need a 'low hanging fruit' filter on boards.

To address the OP I think the mainstream media in Ireland in general are completely sub-standard. The utterly ignore issues of major national importance (immigration) or their coverage of other issues is almost uniformly positive and unbalanced (EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I agree, not really a 'rip off thread' but I really hate journalists who add 'gate' to the end of any scandal. Think of an original title for God sake...

Its all down to the Americans and that Watergategate in the 60's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Its all down to the Americans and that Watergategate in the 60's.

Yeah I know that. But why does every scandal have to be named after Watergate? It's just journalists being lazy. It's not like Watergate was the first scandal ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elbowgrease

I think we're missing the OP's point here. Of course journalists have to highlight all of the bonus/expense scandals, however, the real stories are what's going on at a much deeper level and that requires some painstaking research by journalists. The problem I think the OP is highlighting is that journalists take the soft option and write countless stories about the latest expense scandal without adding any new insight. The country is plagued by cosy cartels - a few journalists have scrathed the surface (e.g Shane Ross) but none to date have succeeded in finding the real evidence. We discovered lately from Minister Gormley that the EU told the Government to guarantee our banks 2 years ago - why didn't one of our many journalists uncover this? I believe this thread is about rip-off Ireland in that the laziness and incompetence of our journalists are ensuring that the underlying causes of high prices right across the Irish economy remain hidden. The OP also highlights the 8% increase in newspapers recently - whats that all about when journalists' salaries (and presumably expenses) are supposedly falling and UK papers are selling at a fraction of the cost of Irish papers - are they part of a cosy cartel also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Most of the media, including the media whores/celebrity reports with their expose's are all chasing tabloid headlines with the primary objective of self promotion, not the truth. Usually at the expense of the full facts. The public lap it up though. Most of the media pumped the Celtic tiger as hard as anyone else they now criticise. They certainly weren't the watchdog of the Public, when they should have been.

Advertisement