Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been through GAMSAT& in Med.?in UCD??

Options
  • 05-12-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello,
    Is GAMSAT too tough? how much time is really neccessary to give a good study?
    Can we get study material in Blanch.Library??
    Am planning to apply, need to know how you have experienced through processing it so am not alone...
    tahnkx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

I think they have basic science textbooks in Blanch. I doubt you'll find specific preperation materials/sample questions there though.

Some GAMSAT info from wikipedia
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Gamsat_guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mindmepls

I would really thank you for the responses,
    And sorry if it sounded like that....
    Im already Graduated on BioChemistry,MIcrobiology & chemistry---am through with the subjects and do hope to work harder for this test, I understand the ebbs and tides of it...
    Im really looking for people who have been through this and share your experience so I get enough information and also get encouraged to lift up my spirits--thats all.....
    I would admit that am not 100% perfect but Im commited and will spend good amount of time to try my best....
    Trying to collect max info through this board as My friends suggested me that this is the best way to get to people and learn more info...
    so Please, if anyone been through the test and secured admission, could you share the process of achieving it??
    And also about fees structure either through grant/eu category--how well its successful in achieving so??
    thankx again

if there are some wise responses, Im getting back with replies---my discussion is only about gathering possible details on various experiences of people who have already done medicine or pursuing ...and also thankx for suggestions --will get that sorted too.....--thankx

Thank you very much BubbleKing"....yeah that sounds right!! I have the calibre in subjects and I will work more harder for correcting my grammar a bit i know...but if you been through sitting gamsat-could you please explain me the procedure and successful ways of it:)--am worried but really serious about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

mindmepls wrote: »
    Thank you very much BubbleKing"....yeah that sounds right!! I have the calibre in subjects and I will work more harder for correcting my grammar a bit i know...but if you been through sitting gamsat-could you please explain me the procedure and successful ways of it:)--am worried but really serious about it...

ok well no offense but english doesn't seem like your first language? To be honest you will find GAMSAT next to impossible if that's the case.

section 1 is 100 multiple choice questions on different reading comprehensions that include everything from modern day articles to old english which is pretty tough to decipher even if you are fluent.

section 2 is 2 essays in 1 hour. 1 objective and 1 personal. Again this section requires your english to be top class. you will get crucified for poor grammar or even expressing yourself in a sub par fashion.

section 3 is 75 multiple choice science questions broken into 40% chem, 40% bio and 20% physics. This section is regarded as the toughest and so carries a double weighting i.e. its worth 50% of GAMSAT

hope this helps. but if you are really interested in doing medicine I presume there are easier path ways. I would look up the UKCAT as your english comprehension doesn't need to be as high in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

yillan and everyone else, please keep replies helpful and non-offensive

Thats qualitative...
    well My 1st language from school times to Graduation is english, on an average Im just around 70% scores--so I myself wouldnt appreciate this but will be willing to take up a course and also going through general aptitudes everyday to improve better...if any study material you would suggest me for only english to get compatible with the final test??will be greatful...

also need to know is UKCAT for Ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

mindmepls wrote: »
    Hello,
    Is GAMSAT too tough? how much time is really neccessary to give a good study?
    Can we get study material in Blanch.Library??
    Am planning to apply, need to know how you have experienced through processing it so am not alone...
    tahnkx

Ok, did my first gamsat exam in uk in septmeber, got a 60, which is ok but not enough.
    Firstly, gamsat is designed to find a specific type of student, the course for medicine is different from other medicine courses and alot more problem based. the gamsat exam reflects that. Some people can spend years doing the exam multiple times and never get it, others only the once and nail it. Its an exam you cant really study for, but you need some things before you do it.

A basic knowledge of science, bio, chem and physics to undergraduate, so say up to first year college standard. Dont waste your time doing tons and tons learning (eg I spent ages learning production of atp...anyone who knows this knows its a lot of stuff...but pointless) The information to answer most of the science questions is given to you, you just need to know what it is askng and where to find it. This time, for the science part, i am gonna spend 75% of the time i spent learning actually practising gamsat questions, only 25% of time learning material.

Another piece of advice is you should be reading......alot.....alot alot. I ran out of time in the first exam because i didnt get through the material fast enough, and wasnt able to analyse it quick enough. Do the hard work now, and huge benefits in March.

If your serious, go for it. And by serious, i dont mean you made the decision without research. Do work experience, speak to doctors, speak to gamsat students, speak to colleges.....its is a tough course!! I am sitting it the second time in March, but have spent the last few months work shadowing a GP, hospital experience and hopefully will be doing hospice work soon.
    Hope this helps, dont know too many details of the actual course, but i know people in it have been in the library in the evening time from week 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Ok, did my first gamsat exam in uk in septmeber, got a 60, which is ok but not enough.

Should be enough for Limerick at least!

• Advertisement

Limerick is manageable...are you talking about UKSAT??
    how is this test like?? if it sounds better than gamsat

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

UKCAT is an aptitude test, and as far as I know there is no prior science knowledge required to sit it. As the name implies, it's targeted at applicants to the UK courses.

If you're planning on applying to the UK, some voluntary work experience in a healthcare setting would greatly improve your chances.

del85 wrote: »
    Should be enough for Limerick at least!

Yeah but I really don't wanna stay in Ireland, not the place it used to be. Also money will be very tight, and its much cheaper in UK.

del85 wrote: »
    UKCAT is an aptitude test, and as far as I know there is no prior science knowledge required to sit it. As the name implies, it's targeted at applicants to the UK courses.

If you're planning on applying to the UK, some voluntary work experience in a healthcare setting would greatly improve your chances.

True about the work experience, although it is mandatory for UK. Tou could have unbelievable marks, but without enough work experience, no chance!

Also,
    Can someone give me more details on HPAT in Ireland??
    Is this also leading Medical entrance??
    because some say---we need to sit HPAT inorder to achieve a seat in Medicine??
    any suggestions for GAMSAt/HPAT??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

in fairness, a lot of these answers are available on the CAO website or by doing a simple Google
    Once you know if you want to go down Leaving Cert + HPAT route or, if you have a 2:1 Level 8 degree and want to sit GAMSAT, then people here who have gone those various routes can advise you better

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Hi Mindmepls,
    Without trying to sound snarky, most of us have posted all the tips we have into the two stickys at the top of this forum. If you are serious about GAMSAT, read them. With regards to the language thing, get a hold of the sample papers and see if section one is too difficult for you. You can buy them off acer or search for some free ones that people have compiled (I think gamsat guru have samples for download). The standard of English is very high in GAMSAT but anything's possible. There are forums (fora?) where you can post GAMSAT essays for people to mark. They might be of use.
    Lastly, asking for very basic details on HPAT is likely to make people question how serious you are about sitting it. Check out their website (http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/). This is all very basic research on the application process, please don't ask other posters to do it for you.
    If you have any specific questions about GAMSAT I'll help if I can but nearly everything is on the stickys.
    Bio.
    Edit: Bah, Etymon got there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Biologic wrote: »
    Without trying to sound snarky

what is 'snarky' Bio?! ;)
    I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Hah, I was worried I had just made it up but Dane Cook has my back.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snarky

Going through this....will keep posted with update-thankx a mill---

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

<snip>?

Advertisement