Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Brand do you shoot with?

• 05-12-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious to see what most people shoot with, especially guys on the more semi-pro to pro end of the scale :D

I shoot with a nikon d3000, trying to upgrade to a d90 but might go over to the darkside (canon) :P

What Do You Shoot With 117 votes

Canon
    0%
    Nikon
    50%
    NORTH1BorderfoxPaulwspooky donkeyJimkensutzSleepyShinyTirielCalinamdebetsNecronomiconBallymantrishw78democratesFreddie59aFlabbyPandahmboardsFajitas!Pete67 59 votes
    Olympus
    31%
    ZillahHugh_CBacchusenda1Ciaran500WillyWonkaeasNforcephogBFassassinblackbird98mehfestoGhostInTheRuinsPopeBuckfastXVIokmqaz42CabanSailmacnabDanbo!Thecageyonepixbyjohn 37 votes
    Pentax
    6%
    nilhgSleepyCalinabullpostFajitas!squod[Deleted User]cnocbui 8 votes
    Sony
    5%
    Kintarō HattoriPrenderbsineadwAnCatDubhFoxTCCSLHeebie 7 votes
    Other
    5%
    Paddy@CIRLTallonMycroft HsalamancasNarahdave66 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Olympus
    I swiched from Canon back in 1989, haven't looked back since.

Currently using D200 & D300 with a selection of lenses (incl a couple of Sigma ones)............Still have my first Nikon, an F801, and also an F90, with lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sony
    Pentax as it was the cheapest at the time but I've become endeared to the brand so had I the chance to change, I don't think I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Olympus
    Started off with Sony switched to Nikon.Now its Nikon for life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Olympus
    I got my d3000 'cause it was the cheapest i could find, but now that i've got more experience and i'm trying to get new lenses, the lack of an af-motor in the body's the worst thing ever :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Olympus
    I would happily shoot with any make or model so long as the right control is there. It's got to feel right. I've had all sorts over the years but since I took this up as a hobby proper, I went from Fuji to Sony and currently using a Nikon D200. Could just as easily have been a Canon if I'd found the right bargain when looking at the used market.

I'm not fussy about makes of lenses either, again, so long as they've got the right specs within my small budget. Had a bit of trouble with a couple of Sigma lenses so I'm a bit wary of them. At present I have 2 Nikkors, a tamron and an old manual Vivitar.

• Advertisement

Olympus
    I started off with a Fuji s7000 point and shoot, but after a few months i wanted the interchangeable lenses, the better sensors, and the nikon just felt RIGHT in my hands, the fuji was too robust and clumsy

Olympus
    I had dozens of p&s cameras, always had one of some make or model but really only for happy-snapping. And almost always in Auto mode.

I bought a Fuji s1000fd for th basic manual controls and began to learn how to put the controls to use by reading from various web sites and magazines. Once I felt I'd nailed the basics and that bridge cam became too limited, I went in search of my first Dslr. Got a great bargain on an A200 with a couple of lenses and a remote shutter release [one of the main reasons I wanted a dslr was for the narrower apertures and longer shutter times for night shooting, the fuji only managed max of 8 seconds and narrowest aperture of f/8, and that was only when zoomed in a bit]

the Sony took a knock so I sold my Sony and minolta lenses [along with the old fuji bridge and my old xbox] and found another good deal on the Nikon. probably stick with Nikon for the foreseeable future, as it'd just be too much of a pain to switch. I'd have to sell off my lenses and start again, basically, on another system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nikon
    Started off with a vivitar p&s up to a Panasonic bridge and up to a Canon 350d, stayed with Canon since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Pentax
    My film cameras are Olympus and my DSLR is Canon. My p&s is an iPhone.

Olympus
    Funnily enough, If I was to buy a compact it'd probably be a Canon, like the look of that G12. but, for that money, which is what it always boils down to for me, I'd be half way to that D7000 I want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Nikon
    I shoot mostly Canon both digital & film but I also have Practika, holga & a lubital oh & my iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Sony
    The first camera I show on was a Kodak 127, which is something in- between 35mm and medium format. (The film is physically the same size, but doesn't have sprockets down both sides.. so where the sprockets are on 35m is actually used as imaging area.. so it's the same width of frame as 35mm.. but it's a square frame rather than a rectangular one.)
    Then I moved from that to a Kodak Disc camera with a frame like 1.1cm square with wonderfully abysmal amounts of information in the frame.
    Then I got my first 35mm as a teenager.. it was $5, had fixed-focus, fixed focal-length, and fixed shutter speed.. although it had a variable aperture.. I think it was like from 3-5.. but I did actually get some reasonable pictures if there was a lot of light, even though it was a crap molded plastic lens.
    Many years later. (in my late 20's.) I was working at a photolab, and was getting interested in photography, a friend of mine offered to lend me a Mamiya/Sekor 35mm that he didn't use anymore, so I shot with that for a while.
    I brought that camera to Disney World.. where it took exactly ONE photo, before dying for all time :(
    The same friend then traded a video game I had for the Canon Pellix QL that I still shoot on, along with a 50mm f1.4 lens, and a 135mm f2.8 macro lens. I still have that.. and since then have added a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, a Ricohflex 120 6x6 TLR.
    My first digital was a Fuji Finepix S7000 (the same model as Stetyrrell's) which I had for years. Eventually I got a Pentax K10D, and later upgraded to a K20D, and I gave the S7000 to someone who was interested in photography.
    I really like the Pentax line.. they give you a lot of features for the money. I'd love it if they came out with a full-frame model. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Olympus
    My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 5700 (still have it), went to a D70s three years ago, upgraded to a D80 a week after (still have it) and then upgraded to my current D300 a year after that.
    I'm happy out with the D300 but am probably going to change the D80 for a D90 soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Pentax
    Only ever has cheapo p&s film cameras, bought a fuji s5000 digital and then a Olympus DSLR, on my third one now and don't really see any reason to change.

Olympus
    Nforce wrote: »
    My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 5700 (still have it), went to a D70s three years ago, upgraded to a D80 a week after (still have it) and then upgraded to my current D300 a year after that.
    I'm happy out with the D300 but am probably going to change the D80 for a D90 soon.

Why'd you upgrade to the d80 so quickly? :confused:

Olympus
    I'd a low ball offer on a new D80 on ebay...didn't think it'd be accepted and saw the D70s on Adverts.ie. GAS is a terrible disease! :o

Olympus
    I'd a low ball offer on a new D80 on ebay...didn't think it'd be accepted and saw the D70s on Adverts.ie. GAS is a terrible disease! :o

sure you can never have enough gear ;)

Olympus
    stetyrrell wrote: »
    sure you can never have enough gear ;)

I wish my wife felt the same :(:eek::D;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why'd you upgrade to the d80 so quickly
    also, unless you're a professional, why have more than one DSLR body?
    says he who has seven or eight cameras. but most of them are film cameras, and there's more excuse for having several film cameras than there is for several digital.

Olympus
    also, unless you're a professional, why have more than one DSLR body?
    says he who has seven or eight cameras. but most of them are film cameras, and there's more excuse for having several film cameras than there is for several digital.

well see, define professional. like if you were an amateur sports photographer, you're still gonna want more than one body, one for each big telephoto lense, or one for a telephoto and one for a shorter lense for group shots etc.

the same goes for other types, if you're using ifferent lenses for different shots and you don't have the time to swap lenses and need to switch instantly for a shot, have two seperate bodies.

that's just my understanding anyways.

• Advertisement

Olympus
    In reality I probably don't need the D80 at all (nor the D300 considering how much I've used it of late)...but it's always handy to have a back up body.

PS.. I'm a hoarder too!;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Nikon
    From the last poll like this, about 3 years ago, it was a case of 60% Canon, 35% Nikon, and 5% split between the rest.

Me, I shoot Canon.

I've a few bodies and a good few lenses, so it would be very very expensive for me to change, not that I've any desire to.

Olympus
    I think you should trade with me, your D300 for my D200 with a few quid for the difference :P I'll use it more than you ;)

Olympus
    I think you should trade with me, your D3000 for my D200 with a few quid for the difference :P I'll use it more than you ;)

made a lovely edit to that :P

Olympus
    Ha, a D3100 and you might have some hope :D

I don't think i could ever use one after using the D200 for so long though, it'd feel way too small. I needs me a chunky body :D

Olympus
    yeah the d3000's pretty small, but i prefer it's more compact size for my needs :D
    i don't think the d200'd suit me, i need something good with relatively high iso settings 'cause of the gigs i do, most places have terrible lighting and you can only set your shutter speed and aperature so wide before it starts getting ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I have access/use of a Canon 5d, but am currently experiencing a love affair with the Panasonic LX5.

Olympus
    I think you should trade with me, your D300 for my D200 with a few quid for the difference :P I'll use it more than you ;)

:p

Olympus
    I reckon you's should all just retire and leave your gear to the young folks, like ehm well, me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Olympus
    I use Nikon bodies purely by chance - went into a shop and picked up a Canon, felt a bit small in the hand, picked up a Nikon, felt a bit more balance for me (I have big hands) and for no other reason.

I'm sort of stuck into Nikon now and it'd cost me a fortune to change. I still have a few film bodies hanging around and shoot a bit of MF which I really enjoy.

Olympus
    Hugh_C wrote: »
    I use Nikon bodies purely by chance - went into a shop and picked up a Canon, felt a bit small in the hand, picked up a Nikon, felt a bit more balance for me (I have big hands) and for no other reason.

another reason why i want to upgrade from my d3000, i have enormous hands and the tend to get in the way more than anything

Olympus
    another reason why i want to upgrade from my d3000, i have enormous hands and the tend to get in the way more than anything

That's one of the reasons I've fitted grips to my Nikon bodies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Nikon
    started with P&S (110 films), have vague memories of a yashica-120, first pro camera was the EOS-3 (Yes ! ... a Film camera) .... moved to 30D, 1D, 40D, 5D, 1D mk2, 7D, 1Dmk4 ...and a couple more in between.

oh and hasselblad when shooting film now - sadly I don't get the time to shoot film anymore....considering selling it off....or selling other stuff and getting a digital back for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

35mm: olympus OM
    'normal' MF: hasselblad and rolleiflex (though the blad has a problem with not being able to wind on for a minute or two after each shot)
    digital: nikon
    'other' MF: holga and a soon to be acquired wooden panoramic pinhole camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Olympus
    That's one of the reasons I've fitted grips to my Nikon bodies ;)

Yeah I'd thought about that, but not quite willing to go for the extra "heft" a grip brings to the table.

• Advertisement

Pentax
    I use an Olympus E-420 and a Canon 20D.

I reckon at some point in future I'll end up switching over to just Canon, though at the time being I'm happy enough to just have what I have.

I like the Nikon shutter sound, for some reason. Not sure why, but it sounds better than my two cameras, and everytime I seen a pro locally, they were using Nikon, so i wanted to get my hands on a Nikon and try it out.

Got hold of a Nikon D1x for, literally, about two minutes, and I wasn't too happy with it. The most noticeably difference to me with the two brands in general, is that the dial on top of the Canon is just moved to the front of the Grip on the Nikon.

I know there are obviously gonna be other differences and such, but that seems to be the mainstay on both, and I struggled to feel comfortable adjusting that dial on the Nikon, so I'm happy enough to be with Canon, whose body I find a lot more comfortable.

Would love to just get my hands on a half decent camera that can handle noise somewhat decently though. 7D is supposed to be relatively good at it, i hear, so I want to invest in that at some point down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Olympus
    If forced to pick I would be in the Nikon camp. The size, feel, ergonomics just work for me.

Camera that get regular use are:

For Digital, I shoot with a D90.

For film, I have a N65 (US name for the F65) a minolta XG-A, a Leica IIIf (That doesn't see enough use), an Olympus PEN and a Trip 35. I think I am missing one or two in there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Nikon
    I used Konica, Pentax, and Canon SLR and P&S film cameras. got a canon Eos 450D a couple of years ago and currently have a Canon Eos 40D. Prior to those I had an Olympus C2020Z and a Fuji S5000.

Advertisement