Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a broken iMac into a working TV

Options
  • 05-12-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭

Hi. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - if it is, I'd appreciate if the mods could move it.

Ok, so I have a G5 20" iMac with a frakked logic board and no hard drive, and as a result a gorgeous screen which I can't switch on. Does anyone here know if it'd be in any way possible to at least get the monitor part working so that I could use it as a TV, monitor or other viewing-of-things device? It'd be a bonus, but I think it's probably pretty much impossible, if it could also read an external hard drive.

I'm an absolute novice - literally, I've never done anything like this before (but I think it would be fun) - but I'm willing to strip it down and take it apart in any way necessary. The way I figure it, it's not going to be more broken if I fail.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try this thread. That monitor uses TMDS signalling, so it might be theoretically possible to graft a DVI connector to its signal cable if you have the skill and patience for such amounts of Dremel Time. And then you have to find a way to power it...

Advertisement