Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has there ever been a premiership football that has ''come out''?

• 05-12-2010 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious, I can't remember any player that has come out gay whilst playing in the premiership. Surely there must be plenty hiding away.

There seems to be a massive taboo associated with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That Mitre lad is definitely hiding in the closet, only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I might be wrong but AFAIK, no-one that's ever even watched a football game has come out. :D

In all seriousness though, there are players that people are suspicious about. Various chants over the years have alluded to this but that's all just worthless speculation really.

No-one's taken the big decision yet AFAIK.

It's another thing where Rugby is streets ahead of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

John O' Shea had a chant for him about being gay...then he got married but it's still sung. Mainly by Liverpool fans I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Justin Fashanu of course, but that was pre-premiership. I think what happened to him would put off anyone else who was thinking of coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mars bar wrote: »
    John O' Shea had a chant for him about being gay...then he got married but it's still sung. Mainly by Liverpool fans I think.

I'm not talking about John O'Shea necessarily but I imagine there are plenty of married gay footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

I'm sure there was someone who everyone said was gay. I don't think he came out, and I don't know whether he was actually gay or not, but a friend of his was on Off The Ball ages ago.

I'm not sure, but he could have committed suicide? Could be totally wrong though.

greendom wrote: »
    I'm not talking about John O'Shea necessarily but I imagine there are plenty of married gay footballers.

Probably!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Justin Fashanu is the only one AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I wish Freddie is!
    And Xavi Alonso...
    and Craig Bellemy!!!

I'm sure there was someone who everyone said was gay. I don't think he came out, and I don't know whether he was actually gay or not, but a friend of his was on Off The Ball ages ago.

I'm not sure, but he could have committed suicide? Could be totally wrong though.

Justin Fashanu - just checked there.

• Advertisement

wikipedia wrote:
    Justinus Soni "Justin" Fashanu (pronounced /ˈfæʃənuː/ FASH-ə-noo) (19 February 1961 – 2 May 1998) was an English footballer, who played for a variety of clubs between 1978 and 1997. He was the first, and as of 2010 still the only, professional footballer to come out as gay, and was the first black player to command a £1m transfer fee.

Well, that answers that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

mars bar wrote: »

Man City fans I thought. Can't remember hearing it from our lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i thought matty taylor of bolton was?:confused: it was in the paper a year or so back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I think it is generally known that Tottenham Hotspur is gay.

i thought matty taylor of bolton was?:confused: it was in the paper a year or so back

Just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I heard this recently too, apparently it's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

When Elton John attended Watford games as chairmen was he ever on the end of homophobic chants?

Morzadec wrote: »
    I heard this recently too, apparently it's true

He's never actually come out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hmmm, i dunno, i would think there are very few players at the high level, that are gay. i am probably making a sweeping generalisation here, but playing football is not something most gays do.

i of course be wrong on that, but every person i know who is gay, doesnt even follow football, let alone play it.

me and alot of my gay friends follow football.

• Advertisement

When Elton John attended Watford games as chairmen was he ever on the end of homophobic chants?

I hope not.

I <3 Elton!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

hmmm, i dunno, i would think there are very few players at the high level, that are gay. i am probably making a sweeping generalisation here, but playing football is not something most gays do.

i of course be wrong on that, but every person i know who is gay, doesnt even follow football, let alone play it.

If that is true then football needs to do something to change that. But tbh, I doubt that it is true.
    efb wrote: »
    me and alot of my gay friends follow football.

That's good to hear. More power to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

There was a character on Dream Team few years ago, the captain was gay, was going out the boss daughter (Or married, can't remember) so I think the reaction is the same as actors, some of them are gay and have an important role but don't want to come out in case of backlash and ruin how the audience views the show/film knowing the lead is gay/lesbian that could lead to a potential backlash etc.

So maybe that's why if there is any footballer who is gay that hasn't come out could be for the reasons above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If you were gay in the Prem, would you come out? I know I bloody wouldn't. It's an unfortunate fact that homophobia is rampant in the culture of football and I see that lasting another decade at least. It's disgusting but it's a sticky issue to tackle. I reckon it's very likely that there are a few gay footballers but they're probably doing the right thing for their career by keeping the head down.

I hate Sol Campbell but some of the chants are shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know that there is a gay footballer playing for Blackburn Rovers. I don't think he has ever come out in public but all the players know he is gay and he never hid it from them and its never been a problem.

He gets dogs abuse in some away games. I don't know if he has come out in public but I don't think it would make much difference at this stage.

Kold wrote: »
    If you were gay in the Prem, would you come out? I know I bloody wouldn't. It's an unfortunate fact that homophobia is rampant in the culture of football and I see that lasting another decade at least.

True, it would be an impossible position for someone to put themselves in and it's a bit too much to ask of anyone.

Unfortunately, it's exactly what happens for things to change.

The other issue for players is that football is such an international sport. While coming out would be a difficult thing to do in England, the players concerned may end up looking to further their careers in other countries where it would be ten times as tough.

I mean racist chanting still goes on FFS and I can't think of a single club that doesn't have at least one black player.

I love football and it annoys me when people dismiss it as a game followed mostly by a group of neanderthals because they're kind of correct.

I hate the homophobic cr@p I hear when I'm at football matches.

But then, some of these "supporters" need to hang round in groups so their brain cell won't get lonely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

People need to change the view of homosexuality? Show plenty of videos of hardened prisoners getting it on through the television. That'd sort it out!

CorkMan wrote: »
    People need to change the view of homosexuality? Show plenty of videos of hardened prisoners getting it on through the television. That'd sort it out!

Oz ftw!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Graham Le Saux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

bantee wrote: »
    Graham Le Saux.

Never came out. has a wife and 2 kids and still says he's heterosexual, which he most probably is.

bantee wrote: »
    Graham Le Saux.

They called him Gay cos he said he read 'The Guardian' - gobsh1ts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

One thing is for sure, the number of gay football players (or gay professional athletes in general) is waaaaaaay higher than the number that have come out and declared the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Darren or Marcus Bent?:D

TonyD79 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

TonyD79 wrote: »

I just had to laugh... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

Not sure how true this is but I heard ex-Arsenal star Marc Overmars came out when he was at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

John o Shea is the worst kept secret in football, even ferguson tried to marry him off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Myself and one of my brothers used to tell our youngest brother (Liverpool fan) that Vladimir Smicer used to regularly bum Sammi Hyppia when they were at Liverpool

Doubt it's true though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

wexfordia wrote: »
    Not sure how true this is but I heard ex-Arsenal star Marc Overmars came out when he was at Barca.

I heard that too, dunno if its true though. Also heard Aerial Ortega was but again dunno how true it is. and that Guti went out with a transvestite, that was in the paper

Would be interesting to see if a club would keep it quiet for financial reasons. I mean I dont see too many of your average football fans getting someones name on a shirt or their merchandise for their kids of a player who has come out. Or maybe it would work the other way, could be a niche market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Myself and one of my brothers used to tell our youngest brother (Liverpool fan) that Vladimir Smicer used to regularly bum Sammi Hyppia when they were at Liverpool

Doubt it's true though!

Can't see Sami being a taker

There's alot of hot Liverpool players, past and present, but neither of those are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fairly sure I heard the Overmarsone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I'm sure i heard glen johnson was.

Christ I've heard them all..

Yiz can keep Le Saux, Cole, Campbell and O'Shea and glen johnson, I'll have the rest...!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Overmars is married with kids, so unless he is pretending...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

This thread is getting a bit "he said she said" now.

more like, "she said, she said..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    This thread is getting a bit "he said she said" now.

Yea think your right. I reckon most of these accusations are based on upon chants from opposition fans. I love the logic behing the Grame Le Saux claims, ''Well if he dosent read the tabloids then he must have the ghey...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Every player who has ever played for Arsenal seems to have been gay at some point.

I have few Gay mates one loved football but in no way would he ever dress up in a Gay way if he went to match to everyone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement