Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So ... what's on your Christmas list? :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

OK. Over the last few days my wishlist has kind of grown a bit. :o

I'm really curious about Room and Skippy Dies, because of all the talk of them here, and I really want to see what It is like. Fingers crossed for a voucher! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

UpCork wrote: »
    I know I'm getting Ryan Tubridy's book on JFK

Ryan Tubridy is an author?

Dont get me wrong, he seems like an intelligent guy but a book on JFK...thats unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy is an author?

Dont get me wrong, he seems like an intelligent guy but a book on JFK...thats unexpected.

I think I heard him mention on his radio show that is was largely based around the JFK visit to Ireland. Potentially an interesting angle about a man who has been the subject of a glut of biographies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

The Hare with Amber Eyes: A hidden inheritance- Edmund de Waal

Atlas of remote islands: Fifty Islands I have not visited and never will- Judith Schalansky (Both published this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A little late but I'll list what I got anyway. Bit of a mixture really. My dad bought me Fyodor Dostoyevsky's collection of short stories "The Gambler and Other Stories". Can't wait to read it and I think he has Crime and Punishment somewhere around the house so I'll be rooting that out soon after hopefully. He also bought me a book on sporting heroes of the last 5 decades. Not much of a big read but it'll be very interesting none the less.

I bought two books for myself. One is a biography of Richard Nixon by Conrad Black. No idea why I got it really but I find him a very interesting man. I also got a book on the 2008 US Presidential elections. It's an insider account of some of the goings on. Should be good enough I reckon.

I bought my dad a book on Abraham Lincoln. It focuses more on his life as a writer and then incorporates his presidency around that then I think. I'll be borrowing it off him as soon as I get through these other books.

In the meantime I've a bit of dinner to be eating

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I bought myself a new biography of Pearse by a Dutch fellow, Joost Augusteyn (I'm really not arsed spelling it correctly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I didn't have a list but my Mam got me Cloud Atlas because she knew I wanted to read it. She also got me Journey to the Centre of the Earth because she wanted to give me a "classic" too (she was going to get Moby Dick but couldn't find it - evidence of the perils of last-minute shopping! :pac:)

I got a good bit of money this month from Christmas and my birthday, so I'm going to buy Midnight's Children - I really enjoyed The Satanic Verses so I want to read more of Rushdie. Also, if I enjoy The Poisonwood Bible, which I'm reading at the moment, I may get The Lacuna aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

I got the Millennium trilogy. Currently on the first, I'm surprised at just how enthralled I am by it. I was never into crime novels, but so far this is an exception!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

My devilish scheme of sending my wishlist to my parents Santa Clause worked a treat! I got lots of books:

Why Look at Animals? - John Berger
    East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    The Green Fool - Patrick Kavanagh
    A Mathematician's Apology - GH Hardy
    A Shropshire Lad - AE Housmann
    Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? - Raymond Carver

My girlfriend got me:
    On Liberty - John Stuart Mill
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
    It Must Be Beautiful - a collection of essays about notable and beautiful maths equations

She also got me a packet of "Edmund Burke's Jacobean Coffee" and she made me oven-gloves with Marx stitched onto the left side and John Locke onto the right side (get it? get it?!) :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

She also got me a packet of "Edmund Burke's Jacobean Coffee"

Oh dear. ;)

• Advertisement

I don't know if she's aware of the ideological contradiction, but even if she was I doubt she'd let that get in the way of tying a respected author to a pun! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ilovenerds

I don't know if she's aware of the ideological contradiction, but even if she was I doubt she'd let that get in the way of tying a respected author to a pun! :pac:

Jeez, I read Reflections on the Revolution in France, didn't I? If you had inspected the packet more closely you would have seen the sub-heading: "Roast 'em all", which clearly indicates Burke's disdain for the Jacobite movement(while still tying in with the general coffee motif). :P

It Must Be Beautiful - a collection of essays about notable and beautiful maths equations

I must get that book at some point. I remember Alexei Pokrovskii (R.I.P.) recommending it to my class in 1st year.

ilovenerds wrote: »
    Jeez, I read Reflections on the Revolution in France, didn't I? If you had inspected the packet more closely you would have seen the sub-heading: "Roast 'em all", which clearly indicates Burke's disdain for the Jacobite movement(while still tying in with the general coffee motif). :P

The sub-heading was particularly good, but I thought it meant "roast all the conservatives", but now that I have seen the true meaning it's even better!

And I see too the greater aim of all the puns. Your "feast for the census" is emphasising the connection between food stuffs (the senses) and the people (the census): as we roast the coffee beans we are simultaneously roasting the Jacobins! :D
    I must get that book at some point. I remember Alexei Pokrovskii (R.I.P.) recommending it to my class in 1st year.

I finished reading it last night. Some of the essays were fantastic (the physics ones less enjoyable as I never studied physics in my leaving cert!) I could lend it to you if you like!

I finished reading it last night. Some of the essays were fantastic (the physics ones less enjoyable as I never studied physics in my leaving cert!) I could lend it to you if you like!

Very kind of you to offer, but I have a mountain of books I need to get through as it is. Also I take ages to read a book so there's a chance you'd never get it back off me! :o

But thanks anyway. :)

Advertisement