Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie to Jeeps.

• 05-12-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Hello all , I'm fairly new to this 4x4 Jeep owning malarkey so bear with me.
    Just recently bought a classic Range Rover , it's got a 1972 Chassis with what looks like an early 80's body . Motor and Diesel converted it to a Mazda 3.5 TDI some years ago , the autobox was tweaked to come in earlier , a Locker rear diff was fitted , poly bushed all round , uprated springs a nd dampers too.

Delighted with it apart from a couple of minor things.

1. The heating inside is poor... not a lot of warm air going anywhere. Is this normal on these?
    2. There is a weep of oil from both sides of the rear axle , I'll need to pull the hubs and fit new seals(its weeping onto the brakes) , is this a big job?
    3. The heated 'screen isn't working , I have 12v going to it when I turn it on , where does it get it's Earth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Hi Aidan, sounds like you've bought a nice motor.

Does the engine heat up fully, what shows up on the gauge? Diesels take longer to warm up than the original V8 but should chuck out enough heat eventually. Other possibilities are heater cables need adjusting, blocked heater core etc.

Hubs are a doddle to do although the caliper bolts can be a bugger to shift. You need new hub seals, drive flange gaskets and ideally new hub nut lock washers. Undo the flange bolts, pull the flange and half shaft out. Undo the brkae calipers and hang to one side. Knock back the tab on the lock washer, undo the outer nut, remove lock washer, undo inner nut (both 52mm, easier with a cheap box spanner) and pull the hub off taking care not to drop the bearings in the dirt. Hook the old seal out, fit news seal, grease up and re-assemble.

Can't help with the earth, probably behind the dash somewhere.

I should say that if you really get in to and wander over to Land Rover forums, for gods sake don't call it a jeep, you'll get flamed! :rolleyes:
    Doesn't matter here as long as it's with a small j ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

cheers for that , I've actually turned back the adjustable fan , so it's coming up to halfway aon the guage, I still think it is running cool though , as I have also blocked off the top of the rad!

It recently had the calipers rebuilt , with stainless steel pistons so hopefully they won't be seized!

If you have a leccy fan it should rarely come on especially this time of the year. Most thermostats open at just above 80 so turn the thermo switch above this. At full temp you shouldn't be able to hold the top hose for more than a sec or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

it has the 2 Electric fans in front , same as a Disco , and another larger one behind , a PAcet or Clovafan... seems like overkill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement