Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible mold problem in box room

• 05-12-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Hope this is the right place to post this.
    The box room, which is front facing, acts as a bedroom and gets extremely cold in the winter or a sauna in the summer.
    Ive noticed on some walls, stuff which looks like black soot but when touched actually feels like water/condensation. For example, there was a wash basket full of clothes up against a wall and when pulled back there was patches of this black condensation.

I used disinfectant to remove any I could see. But how dangerous is that stuff and how can I stop it appearing?
    Is it mold by any chance? Ive never actually seen mold so dont know what causes it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Washes off with soap and water easily. Just means that the room isn't properly vented. Make sure the vent isn't blocked and open the windows for a while each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there is a dehumidifier you can buy in most hadware stores. its a large tablet ( about the size of a hockey puck) which is suspended over a tub about the size of a pint glass. 9 euro

seems to be helping the damp in a room i am going to dryline.

its not a permanent fix but might help during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 The Helpful Engineer

It seems like the insulaion, heating and possibly ventilation are insufficient in this room. You are right to clean off the mould as it can cause health problems for anyone sleeping in that room.

See link to my blog where I have previously outlined how to deal with this problem.

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2010/10/13/mould-in-houses-causes-and-solutions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Darwin

Martron wrote: »
    there is a dehumidifier you can buy in most hadware stores. its a large tablet ( about the size of a hockey puck) which is suspended over a tub about the size of a pint glass. 9 euro

seems to be helping the damp in a room i am going to dryline.

its not a permanent fix but might help during the winter.

Martron, you don't know the name of this product by an chance? Local hardware store never heard of it...thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Can't think of the name of them, but they are definitely in woodies. They look almost like a rodent trap box. Small clear box with a white lid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Darwin

Many thanks, I should be able to find it now :)

Advertisement