Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ten Best Photographic Portraits

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

charybdis wrote: »
    This is really a semantic issue of whether you consider "good" to mean "not bad".

Well the English language does and that's good enough for me.
    I don't agree that he was positing a dichotomy, or that calling something "rubbish" is a specifically objective statement (and if he was, I don't agree with either suggestion).

Ok, well I can't really disagree with a plain assertion other than to say that you're wrong, as phrased his sentence presents a dichotomy.
    That's not what he said, you're strawmanning again. I can't pretend to speak for him, but I think the meaning of your statement relies heavily upon the meaning of "someone" and the assumption that worth is also objective.

There is no issue with the use of "someone". He specifically stated that he disagrees with my assertion that photographs have no objective worth. You're being obtuse or dense, either way I can't understand the English language for you. Again, you seem to have some extraordinary difficulty with inference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

This is well beyond boring. The thread isn't a showcase for your egos, get a room. Surprised it's not been snipped long ago.

No, it's not interesting to anyone outside of you two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah, in fairness - You've reached the point of argueing over if "good" means good or not. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

apologies, I thought this was the photography forum.
    My mistake, I must of misread the "load of poxy pedantic nonsense" sign on the door.

Won't happen again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

But are carrots bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

charybdis wrote: »
    This is really a semantic issue of whether you consider "good" to mean "not bad".
    my semantic antivirus has quarantined this thread.

In my defense, he started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It's always a sure sign when a forum disagreement is totally shíte when the thread doesn't get locked after 24 hours of back and forth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

This is well beyond boring. The thread isn't a showcase for your egos, get a room. Surprised it's not been snipped long ago.

No, it's not interesting to anyone outside of you two.

I thought it was highly entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

i found this at the end of the article:
    "The list of portraits picked in the article is merely the opinion of the journalist who wrote the article. Any warranties or guarantees implied in the article are illusory, and do not form a legal agreement between the author and the customer, and no complaints will be entertained. Your statutory rights are not affected."

After reading this thread I'm gonna make a slightly modified version of the above my new sig :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

humberklog wrote: »
    But are carrots bad?

I think they're just not popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I thought it was highly entertaining.

Doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

ok thats it

this was somewhat entertaining but it hasn't half dragged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 damiendar

After reading this thread it has reminded me Why I don't post very often. Think I'll go and have alook at the photos now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

damiendar wrote: »
    After reading this thread it has reminded me Why I don't post very often.
    why's that?

• Advertisement

After reading this thread it has reminded me Why I don't post very often.

Assuming you're that damiend person that also posts on PI.net who froths at the mouth when people ask questions about newspaper email addresses and the like maybe this isn't such a bad thing.

The thread that keeps on giving (caustic disagreements).

The thread that keeps on giving

Yeah but that's just your opinion and it isn't my opinion and maybe it's a good thing but that might be just my opinion and other people might have the opinion that it's a bad thing but whether something is good or bad is really subjective and of course we all have differing opinions about what is good and what is bad and of course that is fine because your entitled to your opinion and it would be bad if you weren't entitled to your own opinion and anyone that thinks that just because you have your own opinion and they don't agree with it is just their opinion and it's not really either wrong or right it's just an opinion and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Just saying like...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

opinions are like butts

everyone's got one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I think they're just not popular
    I like the rainbow ones, they're different, and they taste good. Or wait... they don't taste bad. I mean, they taste like what's acceptable for a carrot to taste like, but somewhat better. Cough. :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I like the rainbow ones, they're different, and they taste good. Or wait... they don't taste bad. I mean, they taste like what's acceptable for a carrot to taste like, but somewhat better. Cough. :confused::confused::confused:

AH, but hang on, is that your opinion, are are you categorically stating that the strawman says rainbow ones are better cos they're more phallic?

Also, where's the list of top 10 carrot photographers anyway... there should so be one :)

opinions are like butts

everyone's got one

And they all stink.

Advertisement