Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Phone & Existing House Phone Points

Options
  • 05-12-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area but would like some assistance if possible.

I have UPC Phone at home. The UPC phone is fine but there were a couple of existing legacy phone points I had already in my house. I wanted to try and use those if possible. So I connected the UPC phone line to the old Eircom phone point. This works fine to make calls, however, the problem I have is that when I ring the house phone it connects almost immediately (after 1 ring) without the phone being pyhsically answered.

I imagine it is getting some signal back after 1 ring that it interpets as an answer.

Is there anything I can do to use my existing phone points with UPC ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are you saying that you ran an RJ11 fly lead directly from the UPC Modem\Router to one of the existing eircom sockets & connected the phone to another eircom socket?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jikan

Yes, that is what I did. Is that ridiculous ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Jikan wrote: »

Did you disconnect the Eircom cable where it comes into the house from outside? If not then it's probably the Eircom exchange answering the call ;)

Jikan wrote: »

No it's not. I've done that in the past & it worked fine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

No it's not. I've done that in the past & it worked fine.

Gadgetman, I always assumed if I was to get the likes of NTL triple play or digiweb chatterbox I would need to have them setting up their modem beside the point of the master eircom connection.

Are you saying that if you want to use your pre-existing telephone network in your house either star/daisy chained, then all you have to do is to connect the output of your new supplier into one of my vacant phone sockets?

What setup do you have? Did you have to do anything to the eircom master connection?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Advertisement

LeperKing wrote: »
    Gadgetman, I always assumed if I was to get the likes of NTL triple play or digiweb chatterbox I would need to have them setting up their modem beside the point of the master eircom connection.

Are you saying that if you want to use your pre-existing telephone network in your house either star/daisy chained, then all you have to do is to connect the output of your new supplier into one of my vacant phone sockets?

What setup do you have? Did you have to do anything to the eircom master connection?

Thanks,
    LK.

I've only done it once & my setup was one official eircom socket inside front door. I put a socket in every other room myself (daisy chained).

When I left eircom & moved to UPC (NTL at the time) I connected an RJ11 fly lead from my router to one of the RJ11 sockets & all the other sockets worked when I plugged in a phone to them.

Advertisement