Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epson and generic cartridges

• 05-12-2010 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I've used Epson printers for around ten years and used generic cartridges without problem. Recently bought an SX515W and had generic cartridges left from the SX215, which went faulty.

Black cartridge has run out, so I popped in the generic one. Then got a message saying it couldn't recognize the other three cartridges.

Bought a new Epson black cartridge and hey presto - no problem. Are Epson blocking the use of these cartridges in some way? If so then that's me done!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I've used Epson printers for around ten years and used generic cartridges without problem. Recently bought an SX515W and had generic cartridges left from the SX215, which went faulty.

Black cartridge has run out, so I popped in the generic one. Then got a message saying it couldn't recognize the other three cartridges.

Bought a new Epson black cartridge and hey presto - no problem. Are Epson blocking the use of these cartridges in some way? If so then that's me done!

Had the same problem recently. Found a new alternative brand for half the price, but for the first time the "non Epsom" brand is acting up. Some colours not printing, consatnt message about non genuine ink.

My response? I will dump my epsom printer shortly in protest:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have the Epson 515 as well and use non-genuine cartridges in it just fine. Although, I do notice that when it tells me to replace it there is still a good bit of ink left in the cartridge. Any way to tell it to keep printing without whining about inserting a new cartridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I have the Epson 515 as well and use non-genuine cartridges in it just fine. Although, I do notice that when it tells me to replace it there is still a good bit of ink left in the cartridge. Any way to tell it to keep printing without whining about inserting a new cartridge?

Don't think so. I had a look on the Internet last night and came across cartridges which will work with it. I compared them to the last batch which I bought from 7dayshop.com The chip on the 7day ones is a lot different to the Epson ones, but the new ones I've sourced are identical. For anyone interested here they are on Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stylus-SX515W-Compatible-Printer-Cartridges/dp/B002PM2I5G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1291643499&sr=8-8

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Don't think so.

I thought as much. It's really annoying because when I take out the cartridge you can tell there is at least 25% left.

Advertisement