Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One off housing

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nermal wrote: »
    Are you paying extra for your fire brigade service? For your ambulance? Are you paying the full cost of your child's trip to school, or the full cost of providing tiny schools up and down the country?

There are a vast number of ways in which you're not paying your way - you just haven't thought of them.

Whose taxes in years gone by helped pay and establish cities fire brigade services? cities ambulance? cities schools? cities sanitation?
    Because I can tell you in earlier years the country mice outnumbered the city mice.
    It's only now ye started squeakin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭feicim

Considering that dispersed settlements has been the Irish way for the last 10000 years why do have them an taisce people and the planning people telling us that we cant live in the country anymore and should instead focus on towns and cities. I mean what exactly is gong on here, you wouldnt believe the amount of people I know that have been turned down permission because of these busybodies sticking their noses into the affairs of our parish and what gets built there.
    .. ancient Irish living patterns in rural places.

You didn't get the "ancient irish" building their crannógs and hill forts and what have you in the middle of nowhere and then whinging because they have no bus service and bad roads and no broadband, and they are 2 hours or whatever from the nearest hiospital.

Developments that are in clusters and near to infrastructure are cheaper to maintain and are more sustainable.

The average "modern" Irish person isn't up to speed on the intracies of sustainable development etc and needs to be protected from him/herself. If you percieve a professional, educated planner a busybody who's trying to spoil everybodies fun you're a bit of the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Nermal wrote: »
    Are you paying extra for your fire brigade service? For your ambulance? Are you paying the full cost of your child's trip to school, or the full cost of providing tiny schools up and down the country?

There are a vast number of ways in which you're not paying your way - you just haven't thought of them.

Theres a school less than 2KM away on a quiet road, of course there is no public transport (nor expect any) so pay plenty for the privilege of using own car
    I pay plenty for own healthcare and get nothing from state despite paying plenty in "social" charges, and i don't expect the fire brigade ever to arrive in time hence the insurance.
    Me and my company pay more than enough taxes, thank you very much :(

god forbid people/companies choose to live/work where they want on this little island!
    maybe we should have a centrally planned authority :rolleyes: directing peoples lives, telling us where we can or cannot live and work :rolleyes:
    i know they can keep an eye on us proles via 2 way televisions in our rooms piping in fresh daily propaganda
    oh wait where was that tried/heard before :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

mikom wrote: »
    Whose taxes in years gone by helped pay and establish cities fire brigade services? cities ambulance? cities schools? cities sanitation?
    Because I can tell you in earlier years the country mice outnumbered the city mice.
    It's only now ye started squeakin'

Cities pay their way and more in modern civilisations. I've no real problem with people wanting to live in the countryside, but long distance commuting is just not sustainable.
    I have sisters living in Germany and Italy, in villages, and villages do work.
    However, people should be allowed self built houses in existing villages and clusters, but surely building houses miles from everybody else is a bit pointless.

jd wrote: »
    Cities pay their way and more in modern civilisations. I've no real problem with people wanting to live in the countryside, but long distance commuting is just not sustainable.
    I have sisters living in Germany and Italy, in villages, and villages do work.
    However, people should be allowed self built houses in existing villages and clusters, but surely building houses miles from everybody else is a bit pointless.

My commute is about 20 seconds it takes me to walk from my bedroom to the home office

beat that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    My commute is about 20 seconds it takes me to walk from my bedroom to the home office

beat that :P

Mine too when I work from home.

Mine too when I work from home.

:) (i was about to make a joke but will hold back :D)

anyways if you if you had the option of working from home all time
    would you not choose a bigger (well built) house for your family, with fresher air, less crime/noise and land which you can use for growing veg etc?
    and not cost you most of your life in mortgage payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

but surely building houses miles from everybody else is a bit pointless.

Ah..Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

What kind of a ridiculous statement is that ?

It's certainly not particularly "liberal" to impose your standards and beliefs on others, now is it ?

you're right it's not, it was a throw away remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

you're right it's not, it was a throw away remark.

Consider it thrown away, so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement