Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The one man team . .

• 05-12-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Chelsea - Drogba
    United - Rooney
    Arsenal - Fabrecas
    Liverpool - EDIT - Gerrard
    Man City - Tevez

Its the usual throwout comment used to insult opposing fans, but if we look at Barca and Real Madrid, despite the class throughout their teams they rely just as much (if not more) on Ronaldo and Messi as the above teams do with their own stars.

And its not just that Messi and Ronaldo score goals, in many regards their teams are struggling to get the breaks they need when these players pop up with bits of magic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Madrid are far more of a one man team than Barca are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Drumpot wrote: »
    Chelsea - Drogba-Bad Form
    United - Rooney- Bad Form
    Arsenal - Fabrecas-Injured + Bad form
    Liverpool - Torres-Bad Form
    Man City - Tevez-Inconsistent

Yeah so eh :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thought Gerrard was the one man team:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

peabutler wrote: »

I agree, it doesnt stop people from bitterly calling these teams over reliant on these players when their form returns . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Chelsea - Drogba
    United - Rooney
    Arsenal - Fabrecas
    Liverpool - Torres
    Man City - Tevez

Its the usual throwout comment used to insult opposing fans, but if we look at Barca and Real Madrid, despite the class throughout their teams they rely just as much (if not more) on Ronaldo and Messi as the above teams do with their own stars.

And its not just that Messi and Ronaldo score goals, in many regards their teams are struggling to get the breaks they need when these players pop up with bits of magic.
    Liverpool-Gerrard surely.Torres is a sulky boy who wants out of anfield. Barca have class oozing out of every position on the pitch. Messi is the epitome of class, but they dont exactly rely on him. Hes just an added sparkle to an already sparkling diamond:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Have you just picked the top 5 English clubs, listed their best attacking threats, and decided they are one man teams?

Seriously?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thought Gerrard was the one man team:confused:

Edited . ;)

Have you just picked the top 5 English clubs, listed their best attacking threats, and decided they are one man teams?

Seriously?

No I wasnt calling anybody a "one man team", (the hint was where I said in my first post it is the usual throwout insult used by rival fans ;)) I was looking to debate the fault of this kind of statement. .

I was just looking at the Messi/Ronaldo stats this year (and last) and its quite obvious that these teams, despite the class in their squad, are over reliant on these players, but it never seems to get discussed.

When Rooney comes back to form (or fabrecas , Drogba etc) and they start scoring again , the usual BS will be bandied about that these teams are "one man teams" etc.

I was just pointing out that even the teams with exceptional talent available to them rely on one player.

Usually, the people who throw the one man team comment about are clueless clowns :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Well...This thread isn't retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Shams :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Roy of the rover's would be a good example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

racso1975 wrote: »
    Roy of the rover's would be a good example

Yea, Blackie Gray - Melchester Rovers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Harchester United - Karl Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pauleta wrote: »
    Harchester United - Karl Fletcher
    Lee Presley tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Its Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Liam O wrote: »
    Lee Presley tbh

Maybe in the latter years but from when Fletch started his career at Harchester he was the man. His career was hit and miss when Ron Atkinson got sacked and Sky started the documentary :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Better to be a 1 man team, than a no man team using the above definition. The fact that you can't decide who Liverpools 1 player is proves the point that this is a stupid thread anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

If I was to pick one player from the Barca team to make up a cloned XI it would be Pique. He has the necessary skill set to excel as a defender, midfielder, and striker. Busquets would be a close 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Seriously?

No, I think he included Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tevez inconsistent? Ha, brilliant!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i wouldnt say united and chelsea are one man teams - rooney and drogba are not their most important players either (at the moment).

for united, if i had to pick one, i would pick rio ferninand followed by vidic, nani, evra and fletcher,with it being essien for chelsea followed by lampard, terry , cole and then maybe drogba

if 2 or more of the above players were missing that team would be seriously depleted.

likewise no way barca are, they have several key players.

would be better if you titled it 3 man teams. the only team who can be considered one man teams at the moment in terms of impacts on results are city (tevez) and liverpool (torres).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan - Ibrahimovic.

I will openly admit it.
    Couldn't care less though. The man is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyone else think Arsenal are a better 'team' without Fabregas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

eagle eye wrote: »

Maybe this season because hes been carrying an injury and hasn't been on great form.

But overall, not at all. Hes the best creative midfielder in the premieship atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

eZe^ wrote: »
    If I was to pick one player from the Barca team to make up a cloned XI it would be Pique. He has the necessary skill set to excel as a defender, midfielder, and striker. Busquets would be a close 2nd.

11 Messi's would destroy 11 Pique's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I was just looking at the Messi/Ronaldo stats this year (and last) and its quite obvious that these teams, despite the class in their squad, are over reliant on these players, but it never seems to get discussed.

Well when you have possibly the greatest player ever in your team he is gonna stand out a little bit. I also think Barca would be much better without Messi than Madrid without Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

eZe^ wrote: »
    I dont think he can defend very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there is no such thing as a fúcking one-man team.

Christ Almighty.

Gerrard for Liverpool is one which comes up a lot. do people realise players, and a system, were purposely built around him so that he could be the energy of the team?

Ronaldo for Utd is another one that came up...see above.

Fabregas for Arsenal? nobody's told Nasri.

there are players who are important to teams. but this 'one-man team' schtick really bothers me. teams rely on their best players, that's a no-brainer. but for a team to be successful, more than just one player have to be top-notch.

having said that, if i was to clone one Liverpool player 11 times, it would be Gerrard. the man is just one of those players who could probably do anything you asked him to do, much like Rooney at Utd or Essien at Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tevez inconsistent? Ha, brilliant!

:rolleyes:

Yeah Brilliant, Tevez is a class act and always works hard but he plays in fits and bursts, he could get 5 goals from 5 matches and then go 4 or 5 without scoring, that's what I call inconsistent. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

eagle eye wrote: »

Nasri plays better without him, well enough to more than fill the void left by cesc at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah Brilliant, Tevez is a class act and always works hard but he plays in fits and bursts, he could get 5 goals from 5 matches and then go 4 or 5 without scoring, that's what I call inconsistent. :confused:

So if a player doesn't score in every game then he is not consistent?

By that logic there must be no such thing as a consistent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Arsenal? Fabregas has been out most of the season and the likes of Arshavin and Nasri have stepped up to put Arsenal well in the title hunt.

Say what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

He rarely has a run of bad games though, tbf. Even when he's not scoring he's getting at defenders and winning tackles whilst also lining up play, kinda like Rooney in his last 2 or 3 games.

Advertisement