Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

barrel change

Options
  • 05-12-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I have a cz .22wmr and i'm wondering is it possible to change the barrel to a 177hmr

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Absolutely and honestly without too much trouble i would imagine.

The .17 hmr is bacically a necked down .22 wmr. Other than the shoulder shaping on the different case they are the same size. Plus when rebarreling the gunsmith will shape the new breach to hold the bullet. Also a great time to blue the action.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS
    I once read on an American site how a man fired .17 hmr rounds through his .22 wmr. Now i do not recommend this for anyone, but apparently the only issue was the bullet (being .172") made no contact with the rifling and lost alot of velocity, but it fired them every time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

would it be cheaper to just trade your rifle for a .17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

would it have to be re-licenced because of the change in caliber?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

declan1980 wrote: »
    Thats something i'll have to look into hopefully it'll be a straight swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

declan1980 wrote: »

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

lee70 wrote: »
    Thats something i'll have to look into hopefully it'll be a straight swap

The problem there Lee70 is you are not trading your old rifle for a new one you are actually getting a new barrel, which if it was the same caliber as your current rifle would require no license, but as its a new barrel with a caliber that you are not licensed for you must get a license for it.

Also be aware that some manufaturers have different or no markings on their barrels. For that reason make sure your new barrel has an identifying serial number, etc so that it can be liccensed.

The only way to get a substitution license would be to substitute your rifle for a .17 hmr then get a new/second barrel. Which as you know is kinda pointless. Unless of course you find a gunsmith willing to take your .22wmr barrel in part payment/exchange for your new .17hmr barrel, but i can tell you now thats not gonna happen.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

lee70 wrote: »
    I have a cz .22wmr and i'm wondering is it possible to change the barrel to a 177hmr

Lee, financially speaking it would not be worth your while.
    you'd buy a second rifle cheaper.

CZ Barrels are sweated into actions which makes removing them a pain, and the new barrel would cost on a par of the price of a marlin .17hmr or similar

Advertisement