Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Keeper in the World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Julio Caesar
    Surprising Lloris didn't make the list, he might not be the best yet but he will be some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Pepe Reina
    Right now:

1. Gigi Buffon
    2. Julio Cesar
    3. Iker Casillas
    4. Victor Valdes
    5. Samir Handanovic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Julio Caesar
    Reina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Igor Akinfeev
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Igor Akinfeev
    Mister men wrote: »
    Reina.

The best keeper in the world doesn't score an own goal on the first day of the season against title contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Igor Akinfeev
    Head injury or no (and me wearing my blue-tinted glasses), I still say Petr Cech is one of the most outstanding goalkeepers going. Not the man he once was, but I think last season and this season so far, he is starting to finally get back to the level of 'beast' again. Problems with injuries in the back line are also making him look less effective, tbh.

Best in the world tho, at the moment, is Iker Casillas. The man is an absolute legend, basically saved Spain twice in the World Cup Final when Robben was 1-on-1 with him twice, is still pumping performances in La Liga and at club level he has a cardboard thin defence in front of him. He'd walk into the goalie's position in any team in the world, regardless of who was there before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Germany is very under represented in the poll and the thread imo with Neuer and Adler being able to stake a claim imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Igor Akinfeev
    Going to go with Iker Casillas.

Brillant keeper and has been for some time TBH. I think he just pips Buffon to the title as they both have won practically everything in the game and they have kept their teams and countries in countless games at times.

But Casillas for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Pepe Reina
    Lloris - Great shot stopper. Thats about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Pepe Reina
    Yeah I'll openly admit I've not seen much of some of the players in the poll but i've seen a good bit of Lloris and from what i've seen he is dismal under high ball tthe most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Marten Steklenburg
    For me it has to be Casillas or Valdes... It's hard to call.

I'd watch a lot of the two and Casillas and Valdes provide a lot of backbone to both teams, cassilas in particular as Barca definitely have the better defensive line.

Real Madrid's back four as a unit are pretty poor for the level of competition that they aspire to. Ramos is the only decent defender that they have. Carvalho is past it (he was a great defender), Pepe is poor. Casillas consistently keeps Real in games with fantastic saves. His reflexes are second to none...

On the other hand, I really rate Valdes. He is definitely an unsung hero for Barca. He is an excellent shot stopper, great at predicting crosses and gets a lot of distance on punches from crosses/corners etc. His reading of the game is very good too. 1 on 1 situations a lot of the time he comes out on top.... I think Valdes (like Reina) is quite unlucky in being in the same generation of Spanish team as Casillas. The Madridista will always get the nod (and of course he is a fantastic goalkeeper). Reina and Valdes would both be long term No.1s for any top national team....

Outside of the Spanish contingent it is hard to distinguish or rate a list of the top goalkeepers as they are all of a very similar level in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Iker Casillas
    Pretty shocked Julio Cesar isn't winning this, I think he has been the best in the last few years anyway, always thought Casillas was slightly overrated to the extent he is in the top 3 keepers but not to the consensus that says he is far and away the best keeper.

For me Id go:

1. Julio Cesar
    2. Iker Casillas
    3. Gigi Buffon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Iker Casillas
    Went for Julio Cesar myself. Beast of a man.

16 votes for Reina is a bit LOL tbh, he's not even the best or second best keeper in Spain. He's a very good keeper don't get me wrong, but he's having a poor season by his standards and has dropped more clangers this year than in his entire Liverpool career previous to that.

Julio Caesar
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Went for Julio Cesar myself. Beast of a man.

16 votes for Reina is a bit LOL tbh, he's not even the best or second best keeper in Spain. He's a very good keeper don't get me wrong, but he's having a poor season by his standards and has dropped more clangers this year than in his entire Liverpool career previous to that.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :pac:
    Reina is the best keeper in the prem by a distance and is the second choice Spain keeper btw. Did you actually watch the World Cup? Your obvious anti Liverpool bias is making you look a bit silly tbf.

Victor Valdes
    I somehow managed to vote for Van der Saar :confused:

Buffon for me in the world.

Reina for me in the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Iker Casillas
    it's Cesar for me.

Casillas is a beast, but makes more mistakes than people care to admit.

Buffon would be up there, but injuries mean i can't bring myself to make him no.1 right now.

also, serious lack of Flapianski in this poll.

Iker Casillas
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :pac:
    Reina is the best keeper in the prem by a distance and is the second choice Spain keeper btw. Did you actually watch the World Cup? Your obvious anti Liverpool bias is making you look a bit silly tbf.

Pointing out that 16 people are themselves being ridiculously biased by voting for Reina is hardly biased in itself, cop on. Also Valdes is the second best keeper in Spain, sorry to burst your bubble.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Edwin Van der Sar
    Jussi all the way

Igor Akinfeev
    People calling Reina the best keeper in the league this year is laughable, he's been dodgy as fúck for the majority of the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Igor Akinfeev
    Buffon the best keeper in the world? I don't think he has even played in Serie A this season.

• Advertisement

Pepe Reina
    Buffon the best keeper in the world? I don't think he has even played in Serie A this season.

Yes due to injury not the fact that Alex Manninger and Storari are better than him.

If Messi got injured and missed what 3 months of football would he all of a sudden go down the list of the worlds best footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

Guillermo Ochoa

Igor Akinfeev
    peabutler wrote: »
    Yes due to injury not the fact that Alex Manninger and Storari are better than him.

If Messi got injured and missed what 3 months of football would he all of a sudden go down the list of the worlds best footballers.

Maybe but Messi is on another level and regarded by many as the best of his generation so let's use a more reasonable example. If Ashley Cole was injured for half the season then yes I think the likes of Evra would be rated above him because of that fact. Likewise if Bale was injured for half the season I don't think he ought to win a poll for best left-winger in the world.

People on this thread are pointing out mistakes of Reina and Van Der Sar, and taking it into account, yet don't seem too fussed about the fact Buffon hasn't clocked up any game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Igor Akinfeev
    For me the following 4 keepers are on a level above the rest of the world

1: Casillas
    2: Buffon
    3: Reina
    4: Cesar

Pepe Reina
    Maybe but Messi is on another level and regarded by many as the best of his generation so let's use a more reasonable example. If Ashley Cole was injured for half the season then yes I think the likes of Evra would be rated above him because of that fact. Likewise if Bale was injured for half the season I don't think he ought to win a poll for best left-winger in the world.

People on this thread are pointing out mistakes of Reina and Van Der Sar, and taking it into account, yet don't seem too fussed about the fact Buffon hasn't clocked up any game time.

Yes Buffon hasn't clocked up any game time in the last 4 months, but this isn't about form it's a more overall look at it, if it was just about form this season it would be a different poll than the one above our heads at the moment.

Igor Akinfeev
    Yes Buffon hasn't clocked up any game time in the last 4 months, but this isn't about form it's a more overall look at it, if it was just about form this season it would be a different poll than the one above our heads at the moment.

It's about the best keeper in the world at the moment no?

How can someone who hasn't played this season be the best in the world, at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Iker Casillas
    +1 on Buffon. He has won everything as well.

Also stood by his club in hard times.

What has winning everything and standing by his club got to do with being the best Keeper in the World?

Buffon would have been the best a couple of years ago but i dont he is anymore. Spain have boundless amount of world-class keepers in Casillas, Reina and Valdes. Personally i think Julio Cesar is currently the best keeper.

Igor Akinfeev
    Having looked at Buffon's stats for 2010, these are the games he has been involved in as far as I can tell:

Sun 21/02/10 SEA Bologna 1 - 2 Juventus
    Thu 18/02/10 UEL Ajax 1 - 2 Juventus
    Sun 14/02/10 SEA Juventus 3 - 2 Genoa
    Sat 06/02/10 SEA Livorno 1 - 1 Juventus
    Thu 28/01/10 COI Internazionale 2 - 1 Juventus
    Sat 23/01/10 SEA Juventus 1 - 2 Roma
    Sun 17/01/10 SEA Chievo 1 - 0 Juventus

Thu 24/06/10 Slovakia 3 - 2 Italy
    Sun 20/06/10 WOC Italy 1 - 1 New Zealand
    Mon 14/06/10 WOC Italy 1 - 1 Paraguay
    Thu 03/06/10 FRI Italy 1 - 2 Mexico

Sat 15/05/10 SEA Milan 3 - 0 Juventus
    Sun 09/05/10 SEA Juventus 2 - 3 Parma
    Sun 02/05/10 SEA Catania 1 - 1 Juventus
    Sun 25/04/10 SEA Juventus 3 - 0 Bari
    Fri 16/04/10 SEA Internazionale 2 - 0 Juventus
    Sun 11/04/10 SEA Juventus 1 - 0 Cagliari

So that's a total of 17 games, 26 goals conceded, and just 2 clean sheets. Is that really someone who can be regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Pepe Reina
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »

How can someone who hasn't played this season be the best in the world, at the moment?
    By that reasoning, how is poll even valid? I'm assuming nobody here as seen every goalkeeper in the World...

Pepe Reina

It's the Best Keeper in the world at the moment yes, but it takes Years of impressive performance to be regarded as the best not just a few months. Form is Temporary and Class is Permanent, I take injuries into account here but no way is at anywhere near as important as other aspects, TBh if the only negative against Buffon is that he is injured at the moment I think that proves him to be the best even further when you consider the mistakes that the likes of Casillas and Caeser make.

Having looked at Buffon's stats for 2010, these are the games he has been involved in as far as I can tell:

So that's a total of 17 games, 26 goals conceded, and just 2 clean sheets. Is that really someone who can be regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world?

Interesting how many people say Casillas is great because of his performances behind a limited defence, so why not take the same into account for Buffon, and secondly it says he played 3 WC games in that list, he played part of 1 so I'm not sure how trustworthy that list is.

• Advertisement

Igor Akinfeev
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    By that reasoning, how is poll even valid? I'm assuming nobody here as seen every goalkeeper in the World...

I never said it was a valid poll, in fact I also think These polls are fúcking stupid, why we should feel the need to definitively say who is the best in what position at any stage is retarded, why can't we just admire them when they play and appreciate there ability.

Pepe Reina
    I never said it was a valid poll, in fact I also think These polls are fúcking stupid, why we should feel the need to definitively say who is the best in what position at any stage is retarded, why can't we just admire them when they play and appreciate there ability.

Then why did you vote and/or partake in the conversation tbh.

Julio Caesar
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Pointing out that 16 people are themselves being ridiculously biased by voting for Reina is hardly biased in itself, cop on. Also Valdes is the second best keeper in Spain, sorry to burst your bubble.:)
    BS i'm afraid. He was Spains second choice for the World Cup. Do your homework before making things up lad. :)

edit lol VDS 7 votes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pepe Reina

Sun 21/02/10 SEA Bologna 1 - 2 Juventus
    Thu 18/02/10 UEL Ajax 1 - 2 Juventus
    Sun 14/02/10 SEA Juventus 3 - 2 Genoa
    Sat 06/02/10 SEA Livorno 1 - 1 Juventus
    Thu 28/01/10 COI Internazionale 2 - 1 Juventus
    Sat 23/01/10 SEA Juventus 1 - 2 Roma
    Sun 17/01/10 SEA Chievo 1 - 0 Juventus

Thu 24/06/10 Slovakia 3 - 2 Italy
    Sun 20/06/10 WOC Italy 1 - 1 New Zealand
    Mon 14/06/10 WOC Italy 1 - 1 Paraguay
    Thu 03/06/10 FRI Italy 1 - 2 Mexico

Sat 15/05/10 SEA Milan 3 - 0 Juventus
    Sun 09/05/10 SEA Juventus 2 - 3 Parma
    Sun 02/05/10 SEA Catania 1 - 1 Juventus
    Sun 25/04/10 SEA Juventus 3 - 0 Bari
    Fri 16/04/10 SEA Internazionale 2 - 0 Juventus
    Sun 11/04/10 SEA Juventus 1 - 0 Cagliari

He played 45 minutes of football at the world cup...
    You pulled these stats out of your arse.

Igor Akinfeev
    Seaneh wrote: »
    He played 45 minutes of football at the world cup...
    You pulled these stats out of your arse.

Actually I pulled them out of here:

http://www.soccerway.com/players/gianluigi-buffon/53/

I had trouble finding stats for Buffon hence why I said 'as best I can tell'. I'd love to know how many games he has played if anyone has the exact figure.

Igor Akinfeev
    Then why did you vote and/or partake in the conversation tbh.

To put my opinion forward? Obvious no?

Iker Casillas
    BS i'm afraid. He was Spains second choice for the World Cup. Do your homework before making things up lad. :)

edit lol VDS 7 votes

I never said he wasn't second choice for the WC ladeen. I expressed the opeinion that Valdes is a better keeper.

And yes VDS getting votes is a bit LOL. But at least I can see beyond club loyalties and admit it, whereas you continue to make a fool of yourself by making a case for a man who you admit isn't even the best in his country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pepe Reina

I don't see the proviso "at the moment" in the thread title. So, do we only count this week, month, or what?

The International Federation of football stats (or whatever they call themselves) shows Buffon not only to be the best in the world, but the best ever.

Now I agree that someone who hasn't played this season should have scant claim to bestness, but the Balon D'or, for example, isn't won over the last fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Christ, if people are going to argue for Given or VDS, I'm just giving up discussing things objectively around here.

Fabianski it is then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Pepe Reina

edit lol VDS 7 votes

I think Reina was actually Spains second choice.

EDIT:// Or perhaps that was what you were saying not sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Pepe Reina
    People have actually voted for Spains 3rd choice keeper! Baffling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Pepe Reina
    It's the Best Keeper in the world at the moment yes, but it takes Years of impressive performance to be regarded as the best not just a few months. Form is Temporary and Class is Permanent, I take injuries into account here but no way is at anywhere near as important as other aspects, TBh if the only negative against Buffon is that he is injured at the moment I think that proves him to be the best even further when you consider the mistakes that the likes of Casillas and Caeser make.

Exactly. If we extrapolate the logic of picking last weeks performance, Ciaran Kelly of Sligo should be on the list. What a performance.

Better than Buffon? Of course not. In better form, damn right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Pepe Reina
    gosplan wrote: »
    Christ, if people are going to argue for Given or VDS, I'm just giving up discussing things objectively around here.

Fabianski it is then :D

FFS, as if Given is on the same level as VDS.

Pepe Reina
    It's Neckand Neck :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

#15 wrote: »
    FFS, as if Given or VDS is are on the same level as VDS Fabianski.

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Pepe Reina
    gosplan wrote: »
    fyp

The scary thing is I think you might actually believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Igor Akinfeev
    With respect, these things get very tedious if everyone just doggidly picks their teams goalkeeper and gets stuck in.

EVS is not the keeper he was at Ajax, Fulham or the start of his Man United career. To argue otherwise is just plain pigheaded

Everyone always forgets he spend years at Juve aswell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Igor Akinfeev
    Were Stekelenburg and Akinfeev in there as a joke? I think Manuel Neuer and Rene Adler deserve mentions before them tbh.

I voted for Casillas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Pepe Reina
    Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Were Stekelenburg and Akinfeev in there as a joke? I think Manuel Neuer and Rene Adler deserve mentions before them tbh.

I voted for Casillas.

In fairness to Akinfeev he is a great keeper. Stekelenburg also is very good but not in the worlds greatest list.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Victor Valdes
    With respect, these things get very tedious if everyone just doggidly picks their teams goalkeeper and gets stuck in.

EVS is not the keeper he was at Ajax, Fulham or the start of his Man United career. To argue otherwise is just plain pigheaded

:rolleyes:

He may not be the keeper he was in his prime but I still believe he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He does nothing flash, nothing fancy he does his job. He may not be as agile as the rest of the keepers and fools alot of people into thinking that they are good keepers. Just look at Foster against Chelsea for example, he made save after save and made every one of those look good, but that was only because of his poor positional sense. His agility got him out of the sh1t alot in that game but in others he wont be as lucky.

Casillas, Reina, Buffon and Julio Cesar can be guilty of this alot of the time which I think is their downfall. Theyre all prone to the odd mistake every now and again also. Van der Sar made only one mistake in his United career as far as I can remember and that was against West Brom this season. He is as steady as keepers come and that is all you need as a defender. You need to know that there is someone reliable behind you so that you can do your job. The only other keeper that comes close in my eyes is Cech, but he has gone downhill somewhat since Mourinho left and that Stephen Hunt incident.

And whoever said Given has to be taking the piss. The guy is woeful on crosses, he doesn't even come for the ball half of the time. Joe Hart is miles ahead of him and he hasn't even hit his prime yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement