Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Keeper in the World

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Victor Valdes
    iregk wrote: »
    People have actually voted for Spains 3rd choice keeper! Baffling...
    Alot of them mustn't have seen the Steaua Bucharest game last week either... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Pepe Reina
    cournioni wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

He may not be the keeper he was in his prime but I still believe he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He does nothing flash, nothing fancy he does his job. He may not be as agile as the rest of the keepers and fools alot of people into thinking that they are good keepers. Just look at Foster against Chelsea for example, he made save after save and made every one of those look good, but that was only because of his poor positional sense. His agility got him out of the sh1t alot in that game but in others he wont be as lucky.

Casillas, Reina, Buffon and Julio Cesar can be guilty of this alot of the time which I think is their downfall. Theyre all prone to the odd mistake every now and again also. Van der Sar made only one mistake in his United career as far as I can remember and that was against West Brom this season. He is as steady as keepers come and that is all you need as a defender. You need to know that there is someone reliable behind you so that you can do your job. The only other keeper that comes close in my eyes is Cech, but he has gone downhill somewhat since Mourinho left and that Stephen Hunt incident.

And whoever said Given has to be taking the piss. The guy is woeful on crosses, he doesn't even come for the ball half of the time. Joe Hart is miles ahead of him and he hasn't even hit his prime yet.

That post makes me think you've never seen Buffon, Casillas and Caesar outside a world cup. Buffon for sure does not rely on agility to bail himself out, without a shadow of a doubt whatever about other aspects of his overall game he has the best positioning in the game VDS pales into comparison on that front.

Victor Valdes
    peabutler wrote: »
    That post makes me think you've never seen Buffon, Casillas and Caesar outside a world cup. Buffon for sure does not rely on agility to bail himself out, without a shadow of a doubt whatever about other aspects of his overall game he has the best positioning in the game VDS pales into comparison on that front.
    I've seen plenty of those three to make a good assessment. They are great keepers, no doubt about it, but none have the qualities that VDS or Cech did in his prime.

Van Der Sar pales in comparison to nobody and from a United point of view, I believe him to be the best keeper we have ever had. Schmeichel was also prone to his odd error, VDS is just a machine. I was genuinely shocked when he made that error against West Brom.

I believe that if United had signed him after Schmeichel left we would have won more European trophies. I fear that we will struggle to replace him in the same way as we struggled to replace schmeichel when he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pepe Reina
    I've seen plenty of those three to make a good assessment. They are great keepers, no doubt about it, but none have the qualities that VDS or Cech did in his prime.

Van Der Sar pales in comparison to nobody and from a United point of view, I believe him to be the best keeper we have ever had. Schmeichel was also prone to his odd error, VDS is just a machine. I was genuinely shocked when he made that error against West Brom.

I believe that if United had signed him after Schmeichel left we would have won more European trophies. I fear that we will struggle to replace him in the same way as we struggled to replace schmeichel when he retires.

His nickname in Italy?

Edwin van der Gol

Why?

A series of errors like this :)

He's a great 'keeper, but only a Man U fan could have the neck to rate him the best.

Victor Valdes
    His nickname in Italy?

Edwin van der Gol

Why?

A series of errors like this :)

He's a great 'keeper, but only a Man U fan could have the neck to rate him the best.
    Very clever, if you type in Buffon, Casillas or Julio Cesar error into YouTube you'll come up with plenty of errors also. Check out Buffons error against Atalanta for example.

He is a great keeper indeed, Hollands most capped player, he holds the record for most premier league clean sheets in a row (11), two time champions league winner (twice runner up), and a whole host of other honours spanning two decades. He was rated the best goalkeeper in Europe in 2009 also...

Sure only a United fan could have the neck to call him the best...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Pepe Reina
    Very clever, if you type in Buffon, Casillas or Julio Cesar error into YouTube you'll come up with plenty of errors also. Check out Buffons error against Atalanta for example.

He is a great keeper indeed, Hollands most capped player, he holds the record for most premier league clean sheets in a row (11), two time champions league winner (twice runner up), and a whole host of other honours spanning two decades. He was rated the best goalkeeper in Europe in 2009 also...

Sure only a United fan could have the neck to call him the best...:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is saying that he is not a top keeper.

But the only people who are saying he is the best on the go are Man united fans (ditto those going for Reina). I'm all for a bit of partisan posturing, but lets not be silly.

Victor Valdes
    I don't think anyone is saying that he is not a top keeper.

But the only people who are saying he is the best on the go are Man united fans (ditto those going for Reina). I'm all for a bit of partisan posturing, but lets not be silly.
    Nothing silly about it, sure he was named European goalkeeper of the year only a year ago. Just because he plays for United and I am a United fan doesn't mean he's not the best. It's not like I'm a Rovers fan voting for Alan Mannus...

Pepe Reina
    Nothing silly about it, sure he was named European goalkeeper of the year only a year ago. Just because he plays for United and I am a United fan doesn't mean he's not the best. It's not like I'm a Rovers fan voting for Alan Mannus...

But thats my point. Mannus is an international keeper, won numerous leagues, cups and awards. He is an integral part of a top side. But he isn't the best in the world just because he plays for my team. I am self aware enough to know that its specious reasoning

Pepe Reina

I actually cannot believe im reading that, you are aware the reason why VDS left Juve right, because he became Buffon's number 2 ! I'm not saying VDS is a bad keeper but a blind man could tell he is going down hill, you say you didn't see him make a mistake before the WBA game, well Keepers can make errors without actually dropping the ball into the goal, errors like getting a hand on shots and them still going in when they were saveable (something which over the last year or so he has done on a few occasions). VDS is and always was a good keeper but he was never even in the top 3 keepers in the world, not in his prime and certainly not now.

Pepe Reina
    I actually cannot believe im reading that, you are aware the reason why VDS left Juve right, because he became Buffon's number 2 ! I'm not saying VDS is a bad keeper but a blind man could tell he is going down hill, you say you didn't see him make a mistake before the WBA game, well Keepers can make errors without actually dropping the ball into the goal, errors like getting a hand on shots and them still going in when they were saveable (something which over the last year or so he has done on a few occasions). VDS is and always was a good keeper but he was never even in the top 3 keepers in the world, not in his prime and certainly not now.

He became Buffon's number 2 after Juve paid what is still a record fee for a keeper to get Buffon to replace EVDS...

I wonder is that bit convieniently ignored or do the Man U fans genuinely not know?

• Advertisement

Victor Valdes

You are aware that Van Der Sar was Juves first ever foreign number 1 also aren't you? Surely replacing him with another world class Italian keeper was to return to the status quo.

What makes Buffon a better keeper than Van Der Sar? Is it because of his agility, because I certainly cannot find any other reason. In that case, you'd probably have someone like Rustu, Barthez or Heguita in your top ten... A good goalkeeper is a keeper that keeps things simple, not making a last ditch attempt to keep the ball out of the net.

Victor Valdes
    He became Buffon's number 2 after Juve paid what is still a record fee for a keeper to get Buffon to replace EVDS...

I wonder is that bit convieniently ignored or do the Man U fans genuinely not know?
    Veron to United was also a British record transfer fee once upon a time. He also kept Paul Scholes out of a few games. What's your point?

Who are Man U by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Pepe Reina
    How is anybody saying VDS is the best in the world? God sake. He's good but the best? That's worse than Pool fans and Reina. There are many keepers better than both: Casillas, Buffon, Julio Cesar to name but a few.

Pepe Reina
    You are aware that Van Der Sar was Juves first ever foreign number 1 also aren't you? Surely replacing him with another world class Italian keeper was to return to the status quo.

What makes Buffon a better keeper than Van Der Sar? Is it because of his agility, because I certainly cannot find any other reason. In that case, you'd probably have someone like Rustu, Barthez or Heguita in your top ten... A good goalkeeper is a keeper that keeps things simple, not making a last ditch attempt to keep the ball out of the net.

Firstly I think Buffon replaced VDS because he was a better keeper signed to replace a player who was making mistakes at the time.

Once again you've shown your total ignorance on the subject of Buffon, if there is one thing for certain it's that he does not rely on agility, he is and always has been as good if not better in terms of positioning and command of the area than VDS, his agility is just another factor in what makes him IMO the best keeper in the world marginally ahead of Casillas. The fact you think he relies on agility actually astounds me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Edwin Van der Sar
    I picked Cech because for me he has been absolutely faultess this season. He had a shaky spell at the early part of last season but he has definitely put that behind him. He's probably on par wit Julio Cesar's shot stopping ability but I think his height gives him the advantage. Gigi Buffon would have walked it a couple of years ago but I don't think he's been the same since his nagging injuries. Cassillas would have been also up there to but he seems to have lost the plot a little.

Victor Valdes
    Firstly I think Buffon replaced VDS because he was a better keeper signed to replace a player who was making mistakes at the time.

Once again you've shown your total ignorance on the subject of Buffon, if there is one thing for certain it's that he does not rely on agility, he is and always has been as good if not better in terms of positioning and command of the area than VDS, his agility is just another factor in what makes him IMO the best keeper in the world marginally ahead of Casillas. The fact you think he relies on agility actually astounds me.
    Why hasnt he won an individual award for years then? Tell me.

Pepe Reina
    Why hasnt he won an individual award for years then? Tell me.

Years and Years yeah, not like he won the Serie A keeper of the year in 2008 and on the Euro 2008 team of the tournament ahead of none other than VDS, and I ponder how do you expect him to win certain awards when he is not playing in Europe and is currently injured, in case you didn't know Juve were put back to Serie B a good few seasons back and since then they have kind off struggled to get back to there best as a team.

Victor Valdes
    Years and Years yeah, not like he won the Serie A keeper of the year in 2008 and on the Euro 2008 team of the tournament ahead of none other than VDS, and I ponder how do you expect him to win certain awards when he is not playing in Europe and is currently injured, in case you didn't know Juve were put back to Serie B a good few seasons back and since then they have kind off struggled to get back to there best as a team.
    Is there any reason why they were put back to Serie B? It wasn't because they were getting somewhat of a handy ride in Serie A that year was it?

The measure of a good goalkeeper is his consistency and VDS holds the record for most minutes without a goal conceeded while playing at the very top level (winning the PL and getting to the final of the CL in 2009). Thus gaining him European goalkeeper of the year for 2009, aka last year.

So youre saying Buffon can be injured and in Serie B all he wants and can still be the best keeper in the world? Good for him.

Pepe Reina
    Veron to United was also a British record transfer fee once upon a time. He also kept Paul Scholes out of a few games. What's your point?

Who are Man U by the way?

The point, as well you know, is that Juve rated EDVS so highly they spend €40m replacing him and punted him, and Fulham were the only club willing to take a chance on him at the time his stock was so low

Man U are a team from the outlying suburbs of Manchester who used to be a European force. You must have heard of them, they are quite popular, even in Ireland

• Advertisement

Pepe Reina
    Is there any reason why they were put back to Serie B? It wasn't because they were getting somewhat of a handy ride in Serie A that year was it?

The measure of a good goalkeeper is his consistency and VDS holds the record for most minutes without a goal while playing at the very top level (winning the PL and getting to the final of the CL in 2009). Thus gaining him European goalkeeper of the year for 2009, aka last year.

So youre saying Buffon can be injured and in Serie B all he wants and can still be the best keeper in the world? Good for him.

I believe you'll finds it's because they refused certain refs so garner from that what you may.

I suppose those clean sheets have nothing to dow ith the fact that at that time United's defence was the best in the world, it was all down to VDS yeah?

Well considering he spent one year in Serie B and has been injured for what 4 months this season that last point is a bit void tbh.

How about you get back to talking about his keeping rather than his club or injuries or are you just masking the fact that his performances on the pitch are as close to flawless as may ever beachieved.

Pepe Reina

The measure of a good goalkeeper is his consistency and VDS holds the record for most minutes without a goal conceeded while playing at the very top level (winning the PL and getting to the final of the CL in 2009). Thus gaining him European goalkeeper of the year for 2009, aka last year.

At the end of the day the poll speaks for itself. Buffon is more highly regarded around here than VDS. And rightly so imo. That's not to say VDS is a bad keeper. 2 great keepers, 1 greater than the other is all.

Victor Valdes
    The point, as well you know, is that Juve rated EDVS so highly they spend €40m replacing him and punted him, and Fulham were the only club willing to take a chance on him at the time his stock was so low

Man U are a team from the outlying suburbs of Manchester who used to be a European force. You must have heard of them, they are quite popular, even in Ireland
    Oh right, I've only ever heard of Manchester United coming from Manchester, the biggest club in Manchester, England and arguably the world. One of the most successful teams in Britain and Europe and to a lesser extent Manchester City whose banana waving support resides mainly in Stockport. They also have a number of supporters from Ireland for generations who support them rather than following a amateur league whose winners Santry/Tolka/Richmond Rovers FC have been bailed out by the local government on a number of occasions. Never heard of Man U though.

Is this the same Buffon playing in the Europa league while van der Sar is in one of the favourite teams to win the champions league at 40 years of age? Van der Sar's stock must be low indeed.

Victor Valdes
    I believe you'll finds it's because they refused certain refs so garner from that what you may.

I suppose those clean sheets have nothing to dow ith the fact that at that time United's defence was the best in the world, it was all down to VDS yeah?

Well considering he spent one year in Serie B and has been injured for what 4 months this season that last point is a bit void tbh.

How about you get back to talking about his keeping rather than his club or injuries or are you just masking the fact that his performances on the pitch are as close to flawless as may ever beachieved.

Still named keeper of the year in 2009, regardless of what you think.

Pepe Reina
    Oh right, I've only ever heard of Manchester United coming from Manchester, the biggest club in Manchester, England and arguably the world. One of the most successful teams in Britain and Europe and to a lesser extent Manchester City whose banana waving support resides mainly in Stockport. They also have a number of supporters from Ireland for generations who support them rather than following a amateur league whose winners Santry/Tolka/Richmond Rovers FC have been bailed out by the local government on a number of occasions. Never heard of Man U though.

Is this the same Buffon playing in the Europa league while van der Sar is in one of the favourite teams to win the champions league at 40 years of age? Van der Sar's stock must be low indeed.

Eh not it's not, if you paid any attention to football outside England you'd find that Buffon is injured. It's funny how you showed a toal lack of knowledge by claiming that Buffon relied on agility, when put right on it you started trying to put Buffon down by putting the club down now the Europa League down and every few posts you mention VDS won the European Keeper of the Year in 2009. Funny how you do't mention that last year he let in a dribbler from a tight angle by Olic which in the end would prove costly as United were knocked out.

Your changing your point every post but mine is simple

Buffon is the most rounded Keeper in the game, he not only has agility of the highest order he has excellent positioning, command of his area, handling and aerial ability, hence forth he is IMO the best in the world followe by Casillas and Caesar than probably followed by Reina or Valdes after that it's a toss up between Cech and VDS .

EDIT: When VDS was 32 what club was he at and was he playing in the Uefa cup or CL ????

Pepe Reina

I'm a united fan btw. You are deluding yourself if you think we have the capability of winning it. You really are. That's like saying Pool will win the Europa League, Zenit will hammer them!;) I wouldn't fancy Real, Barca, Bayern, Chelsea or Shakhtar.

Buffon is in the Europa League because Juve are useless atm. VDS wasn't always playing Champions League you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Pepe Reina
    Oh right, I've only ever heard of Manchester United coming from Manchester Salford, the biggest club in Manchester Salford.

Fixed that for you...

I see you've also gone for VDS in the thread of greatest keeper of all time. Beautiful. Loving your work.

Victor Valdes
    Eh not it's not, if you paid any attention to football outside England you'd find that Buffon is injured. It's funny how you showed a toal lack of knowledge by claiming that Buffon relied on agility, when put right on it you started trying to put Buffon down by putting the club down now the Europa League down and every few posts you mention VDS won the European Keeper of the Year in 2009. Funny how you do't mention that last year he let in a dribbler from a tight angle by Olic which in the end would prove costly as United were knocked out.

Your changing your point every post but mine is simple

Buffon is the most rounded Keeper in the game, he not only has agility of the highest order he has excellent positioning, command of his area, handling and aerial ability, hence forth he is IMO the best in the world followe by Casillas and Caesar than probably followed by Reina or Valdes after that it's a toss up between Cech and VDS .

EDIT: When VDS was 32 what club was he at and was he playing in the Uefa cup or CL ????
    If you're going to pedantic about it, then Van der sar is not plaing in the champions league. Ben Amos is playing in goal because Van Der Sar has his slippers on. I know Buffon is injured, but he's at a club in the Europa league. He will be playing in the Europa League unless they're knocked out before he's fit again... Buffon does rely on agility, if he was more positionally sound with his agility then nothing would get past him. I'm not going to go into it any further with you because it doesn't sound like you'll take my point on board.

I haven't changed my point. My point is that van der sar is more consistent, is more positionally astute and doesn't rely on agility to make up for flaws in his goalkeeping like the rest of the goalkeepers in the list rely on. He has been rewarded with European goalkeeper of the year 2009 because of this.

And as for your edit, we are talking about the best goalkeeper in the world now, not eight years ago.

Pepe Reina

Spoken like a true plastic hammer waver. It seems you are a fully paid up member of the barstool brigade rendering your opinion on all things football related totally irrelevant, as shown by your factual innacuracies.

You don't even know what city your 'beloved' side play in ffs. And a Man U fan lecturing others on finances? Please

Pepe Reina
    ShakaHislop Shaka Hislop

VDS over Buffon for me yes. But Casillas is still #1 in my books.

I asked Shaka Hislop and this is his opinion BTW.

I think you'll find VDS is playing in the CL btw he didn't play last night were as Buffon hasn't played all season. As for him relying more on agility look at any Youtube Compilations and at least 75% of his saves are ones were his positioning are crucial. I am taking your point on board here but I still feel Buffon is better and that VDS as good as he has been and as talented as he is, is a goalie on the way down, in fact I don't think he will be No.1 at United next season, if he was the World's best why would he potentially retire or lose his place which in all honesty looks like happening.

Victor Valdes
    Fixed that for you...

I see you've also gone for VDS in the thread of greatest keeper of all time. Beautiful. Loving your work.
    Quite nifty indeed, Old Trafford, Trafford Park a metropolitan borough of Manchester. Within the M postcode. What does the word United mean lads? Where does the majority of City season ticket holders reside? Stockport, postcode SK. Manchester United fans have the majority within the M postcode. I can be pedantic too if you're going to be that way.

I did vote for van der Sar as the greatest keeper I've ever seen play... Who did you vote for?

• Advertisement

Pepe Reina
    Quite nifty indeed, Old Trafford, Trafford Park a metropolitan borough of Manchester. Within the M postcode. What does the word United mean lads? Where does the majority of City season ticket holders reside? Stockport, postcode SK. Manchester United fans have the majority within the M postcode. I can be pedantic too if you're going to be that way.

I did vote for van der Sar as the greatest keeper I've ever seen play... Who did you vote for?
    Van Der Sar is the greatest keeper you've ever seen play? Wow...
    Each to their own I...guess...

Victor Valdes
    Spoken like a true plastic hammer waver. It seems you are a fully paid up member of the barstool brigade rendering your opinion on all things football related totally irrelevant, as shown by your factual innacuracies.

You don't even know what city your 'beloved' side play in ffs.
    Never had a plastic hammer in my life. I was a season ticket holder at united up until the end of last season where I could no longer go over to games due to a number of reasons. So shove that and your self righteous attitude up your jacksy. Please point out where my facts have been inaccurate Mannus.

I do know where Manchester United play their football actually, it isn't in the Arndale...

Pepe Reina

Me personally? I was torn between Lev Yashin and Rinat Dasaev however the last one wasn't in the poll. I'd have gone for Dasaev based on the fact that I've seen more of him.

I've realised you're a troll now however with this gem:

"van der Sar as the greatest keeper I've ever seen play"

I assume all the football you've ever watched was from MUTV and that you actually have no clue about the game at all. Ollie Kahn & Peter Schmeichel have played during the lifetime of VDS as have all other names produced in this poll. I simply cannot believe someone who claims to be a keeper (i was also) can state that he was the best they have ever seen.

One word: Troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Marten Steklenburg
    Has VDS ever come anywhere near to being world player of the year?

Victor Valdes
    Me personally? I was torn between Lev Yashin and Rinat Dasaev however the last one wasn't in the poll. I'd have gone for Dasaev based on the fact that I've seen more of him.

I've realised you're a troll now however with this gem:

"van der Sar as the greatest keeper I've ever seen play"

I assume all the football you've ever watched was from MUTV and that you actually have no clue about the game at all. Ollie Kahn & Peter Schmeichel have played during the lifetime of VDS as have all other names produced in this poll. I simply cannot believe someone who claims to be a keeper (i was also) can state that he was the best they have ever seen.

One word: Troll.
    Did you see Lev Yashin or Rinat Dasaev play in the flesh, because that is what i mean... I wasn't around to see them play I did however see Schmeichel, Kahn, Buffon, Casillas & co play in the flesh.

Like I pointed out to Mannus earlier. I was a United season ticket holder up until the summer, and went to pretty much all Ireland home games pre Stan. So don't be giving lectures on how much football I've watched when you don't even know me.

Pepe Reina
    Did you see Lev Yashin or Rinat Dasaev play in the flesh, because that is what i mean...

oh ok i see. so we can only comment if we have seen them play in the flesh? so i cannot possibly say that xavi hernandez is a world class player or messi is a world class player as i've never seen them play in the flesh i've only seen them on TV.

Pepe Reina
    Never had a plastic hammer in my life. I was a season ticket holder at united up until the end of last season where I could no longer go over to games due to a number of reasons. So shove that and your self righteous attitude up your jacksy. Please point out where my facts have been inaccurate Mannus.

I do know where Manchester United play their football actually, it isn't in the Arndale...

I don't know why you are replying to me. If I want the opinion of an ole ole barstooler on world football, I'll buy Davy Keogh a pint of cider, or wait till sky sports offer an opinion.

Victor Valdes
    oh ok i see. so we can only comment if we have seen them play in the flesh? so i cannot possibly say that xavi hernandez is a world class player or messi is a world class player as i've never seen them play in the flesh i've only seen them on TV.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm giving mine on the players I've seen in the flesh as I think that that is the best way to judge.

PS I've seen Xavi and Messi play twice in the flesh, once in 2008 and in the CL final in 2009 and IMO Messi is the best player I've ever seen, including Zidane, Keane, and both Ronaldos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Igor Akinfeev
    gavredking wrote: »
    Going to go with Iker Casillas.

Brillant keeper and has been for some time TBH. I think he just pips Buffon to the title as they both have won practically everything in the game and they have kept their teams and countries in countless games at times.

But Casillas for me.

Agreed. I think on recent form - over the past 4 years or so - and playing at the highest level, it has to be Casillas.

Victor Valdes
    I don't know why you are replying to me. If I want the opinion of an ole ole barstooler on world football, I'll buy Davy Keogh a pint of cider, or wait till sky sports offer an opinion.
    No problem Mannus, best of luck in the "Champions League" next year... Hopefully SDCC won't scupper your chances by putting up your council house rent.

• Advertisement

Pepe Reina
    No problem Mannus, best of luck in the "Champions League" next year... Hopefully SDCC won't scupper your chances by putting up your council house rent.

I'd like to offer my congratulations to you for runing a perfectly good thread, you did it subtly so well done. ;)

Now if you don't mind taking your incessant ramblings and piss poor insults elsewhere.

Victor Valdes
    I'd like to offer my congratulations to you for runing a perfectly good thread, you did it subtly so well done. ;)

Now if you don't mind taking your incessant ramblings and piss poor insults elsewhere.
    All for arguing that I had a right as a United fan to vote for one of the keepers in the poll, Van Der Sar was the best keeper in the world. Whatever next?

Pepe Reina
    All for arguing that one of the keepers in the poll, Van Der Sar was the best keeper in the world. Whatever next?

I think your last 5 or so posts have been about the location of certain clubs and trying to insult people not VDS. ;)

Victor Valdes
    I think your last 5 or so posts have been about the location of certain clubs and trying to insult people not VDS. ;)
    I didnt start the location arguement, which I did argue but all while trying to keep the thread on topic and arguing who the best keeper was. It's unfortunate that some Nazis couldn't keep their "you can't vote for your own clubs keeper" arguments out of the way. Otherwise we wouldn't have got to this point.

Pepe Reina

Thanks. I am far more confident of Rovers financial position and ability to win leagues and qualify for Europe in the medium term than Man U's, but thats another debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Pepe Reina
    In fairness to Akinfeev he is a great keeper. Stekelenburg also is very good but not in the worlds greatest list.
    Akinfeev is absolutely shocking under crosses. It has been evident in almost every game i've seen him play in, especially the Ireland Russia game. Not happy at all when he was constantly linked with United. The only reason people even know who he is, is because he's a Football Manager Legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Iker Casillas
    Next poster that attacks a poster rather than a post is getting a 2 week ban. There are a few here on a very short leash right now.

Stay on topic, and leave the pissing contest to somewhere else please

Pepe Reina
    Degag wrote: »
    Akinfeev is absolutely shocking under crosses. It has been evident in almost every game i've seen him play in, especially the Ireland Russia game. Not happy at all when he was constantly linked with United. The only reason people even know who he is, is because he's a Football Manager Legend!

I haven't played football manager in about 6 years so I've no idea what he is like in that game. He is an immense shot stopper and super at one on ones. Yes his ability on crosses is poor but he is improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Pepe Reina
    I haven't played football manager in about 6 years so I've no idea what he is like in that game. He is an immense shot stopper and super at one on ones. Yes his ability on crosses is poor but he is improving.

Correct regarding his shot stopping abilities but he's no where near the best keeper in the world.

• Advertisement

Pepe Reina
    Degag wrote: »
    Correct regarding his shot stopping abilities but he's no where near the best keeper in the world.

I never said he was! I voted for Buffon. I simply said to one poster that was very good.

Advertisement