Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rabbits

• 05-12-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

heres the problem got 2 female rabbits,1 had 3 babies 4 wks ago,other female had 3 babies few days ago she looking after them well,prob is 1st female had another baby yesterday and she not looking after it ,i know they only feed them once a day but its not been feed,its really cold to touch .was wondering could i put it in with the other babies would other female feed it cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

really need some advice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

If you put that kit in with the other mother she will likely kill it im afraid.She will smell the difference and know its not hers.

Plus im afraid at 3 days you shouldnt be handling the youngsters as the mother may reject them or in some cases kill them.:(A week is generally a better idea before starting to handle them.

If the kit is ill at this stage its most likely on its way out.It may be rejection by the mother alright or it may have some sort of issue stopping it feeding.
    Rabbits milk is lipid based and fairly unique to so handrearing is rarely successful esp in one this young.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hope you enjoy your baby buns.

thanks i know about the handling thing but we only handle the 3 because she had the behind the frezer.and eat through the wire afraid they be killed .just have to hope she feeds its be awfull if it died,

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

First off, you CAN touch the babies from the day they are born. The idea that the Mother will kill them is a myth. I have had 10 litters and never had a problem with the Mother killing them after they have been handled, and have talked to lots of breeders who handle them from day one with no problems.

Secondly, the four week old babies are too old and the new baby too young to be mixing them. The little one wouldn't be able to compete with the older babies for feeding. If they were similar in age, you could mix them. Lots of people do it, if one doe isn't feeding her babies and they have another one with a litter who is caring well for their babies. Or if one doe has a really big litter and the other has a small one, they will put a few in with the other doe.

hi thanks for replys i put the newborn in with the other mother,but it didt work she moved her own 5day old babies to the other side of box,and the little one died yesterday dont think her mum even noticed very sad

• Advertisement
Advertisement