Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of questions.

Options
  • 05-12-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am hoping to start a course as a mature student but I'm a bit confused about the age of a mature student. a lot of the courses listed on qualifax say they will consider mature students of age 21 plus but then other websites (mainly to do with grants etc) say a mature student is a person aged 23 or more?

Also, is it possible to be accepted to study a level 5 fetac course without a leaving certificate? I have relevant work/life experience in the subject I want to study/gain a qualification in.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i think for the third level schools you have to be 23 before the first of january in the year you are applying as a mature student, so if you want to go to college in september 2011 you need to be 23 before the 1st of january 2011,you apply through the CAO in feburary. i,m not sure about fetac you might be able to sign up for it just, they might not be bothered about a leaving cert kinda like FAS

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lplates

So if I'm aged 21 I can sign up to do a level 5 fetac course as a mature student?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

as said above you have to be 23 or older to be a mature student. but this is not as important for fetac courses as it is for third level courses.
    most fetac courses have a application process that is the same for everyone applying - application form/ interview. being 21 they'll ask you what you've done since school - so you'll have an advantage over 17/18 year old just leaving school.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lplates

so for a fetac course, you apply to the college directly rather than through the CAO? also, are there any grants for travelling/accomodation available for mature students not aged over 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

yeah you apply directly to the college for fetac courses. check the website of the college you want to apply to for the application process. its usually an on line application form and then get called for interview. its not through CAO at all.
    grants - if you're under 23 you are not a mature student, there's no such thing as a mature student under 23. you have the pay the registration fee, around 200 euro - cant remember if that's changed or not in the budget - but there's no grant for that. you can apply to your local county council or VEC for a maintenance grant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement