Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Just reading the comments on the website, did you alter the sugar quantities? Sounds like a winner of a recipe!
    No I didn't alter anything. I didn't expect to like it myself because I thought the vodka would be too strong for me to drink it neat but its really delicious & smooth & has a lovely orangey colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thinking of trying to make cake pops. The recipes I'm looking at say you need "frosting", is this icing? Or something different?

Would anybody have any idea where to get the sticks, not online.

If anyone has made these before and has some advice - great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Whispered wrote: »
    Thinking of trying to make cake pops. The recipes I'm looking at say you need "frosting", is this icing? Or something different?

yes by frosting they often mean buttercream, usually the more commercial recipes recommend the betty crocker frosting in a tub, however you can make the usual buttercream and it works just as well, and tastes better!

The sticks can usually be bought in a cake supplies shop like Decobake or kitchen complements in Dublin. It depends where you are in the country. I've not been able to source them in the past and have used thick wooden skewers with the sharpened end cut off for safety, but tbh the real sticks work better.

Tips? Well, they are tricky and time consuming to make, so be prepared. If you are covering them, you can buy "candy melts" in a cake supply shop, again kitchen complements in Dublin have these. I've only ever used coloured White chocolate and milk choc. Cool the cake balls inverted with the stick in them before covering them, and add a little melted choc to the end of the stick before you skewer the ball for added sticky :)

Then when you want to cover them, melt the choc/melts in a Bain Marie so you can keep the choc liquid. Dip and twist them, working quickly. Look at YouTube tutorials for this. This is an excellent video tutorial.
    I also recommend using some styrofoam to hold them upright, although one very smart poster here before mentioned using a large potato, cut in half to stick them into to dry :) I found that aspect quite tricky in the past, without a solid base to hold them during drying, it can all fall apart.

If all else fails, you can always make "cake truffles", which are non-skewered cake pops. That was the outcome of my first attempt at cake pops, and they are just as tasty, if not quite as pretty!

Finally, get creative with the icing and flavours, crumbed up lemon cake with White choc buttercream for limoncello pops, peanut butter and chocolate crumb cake for snickers/reeses pops, etc. The combinations are endless!

But most of all, don't underestimate the fiddly-ness of cake pops, they require time and care to make them into true pops and not a truffle-tastrophe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

You can get icepop sticks in the arts and crafts section in most Euro shops!

I am sticking to the chilli jam this year for definite, lemon curd and I'm toying with the idea of the red onion marmalade too.

I love nuts, and after opening a bag of cashew nuts the other night, (approx. e1.70c in Tesco) I threw them into a jar to keep them fresh. The jar was a cute shape, and I had a thought about making those sugary/ honey nuts you can buy at market stalls. Does anyone have any idea on how to do them? The bag of cashews in Tesco would happily fill two cute little jars so it's cheap enough as a gift to put into a hamper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

ElleEm wrote: »
    You can get icepop sticks in the arts and crafts section in most Euro shops!

If you mean the flat oblong type used in ice lollys, I had no luck at all with them, their large surface area caused the cake pops to crack - did they work for you? I've found only the narrow lollipop type work for me.
    I love nuts, and after opening a bag of cashew nuts the other night, (approx. e1.70c in Tesco) I threw them into a jar to keep them fresh. The jar was a cute shape, and I had a thought about making those sugary/ honey nuts you can buy at market stalls. Does anyone have any idea on how to do them? The bag of cashews in Tesco would happily fill two cute little jars so it's cheap enough as a gift to put into a hamper.
    Thats a great idea :) This is a delicious honey roasted peanut recipe that works well, and it would undoubtedly work for cashews too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Decobake sell cake pop sticks at €3.47 for 35. At the moment they have a 3 for 2 offer on them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Child: Mam, why doesn't Santa deliver food pressies any more?
    Parent: Feckin' boardsies put him out of business.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Eviledna wrote: »

Thats a great idea :) This is a delicious honey roasted peanut recipe that works well, and it would undoubtedly work for cashews too.

I am only shortly after my dinner, but the saliva that this recipe produced is shocking! Yum yum yum yum yum :P

I wonder would it be easier to do the cake pops with muffins instead? Considering they tend to be more moist. I might try it tomorrow. I was thinking of doing christmas pudding style pops so it might even work better without the sticks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Rachel Allen made cake pops on the telly a few weeks ago. http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2012/0925/3307-cake-pops/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Apple chutney simmering away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'm not sure using muffins would make a difference Whispered. You mix the crumbled cake with icing/cream cheese, which will moisten it anyway, but its no harm to give it a go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

ElleEm wrote: »

I swear by Smitten Kitchen for most things and she has a candied nut recipe that looks divine (if you're not set on honey).

I've just taken Delia's Christmas cake out of the oven - I baked it in two loaf tins (1lb and 2lb I think) and had them in for 2 hours. They passed all the "ready" tests but I'm still a little nervous* about them being fully done, as she calls for 4+ hours (though for a single deep cake).

Sad to think my kitchen won''t smell this good again for another year! :p

*Might be just looking for an excuse to *have* to cut one in half to check...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I swear by Smitten Kitchen for most things and she has a candied nut recipe that looks divine (if you're not set on honey).

I've just taken Delia's Christmas cake out of the oven - I baked it in two loaf tins (1lb and 2lb I think) and had them in for 2 hours. They passed all the "ready" tests but I'm still a little nervous* about them being fully done, as she calls for 4+ hours (though for a single deep cake).

Sad to think my kitchen won''t smell this good again for another year! :p

*Might be just looking for an excuse to *have* to cut one in half to check...

Oh I think you HAVE to do a taste test ;-)

Blingy wrote: »
    Oh I think you HAVE to do a taste test ;-)

If you knew how little I can resist temptation you wouldn't even joke about it! :o The smaller one is making eyes at me...

I have distracted (compromised? :pac:) myself with mulled wine in the meantime, at least it can be enjoyed today!

I think I am going to make Rachel Allen's white chocolate fudge next weekend. I've made it a few times but it has never turned out how I wanted - it is always gritty (like sugar) rather than smooth. I don't think I ever got it to the right temperature, I always chicken out when I see flecks of black appearing. I have since invested in a cast iron skillet so that might be the "heavy bottomed pan" I've been missing out on...

I have distracted (compromised? :pac:) myself with mulled wine in the meantime, at least it can be enjoyed today!

:cool: How many glasses of wine did you have before giving in and tasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi guys, does anybody know of shops in Dublin doing kilner jars for a reasonable price? I have seen IKEA posted but I only need 2/3 so it wouldn't really be worth my while for the drive. I have looked into buying online but the cost of postage/shipping is not really worthwhile unless you are buying in bulk. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Heatons have 30% off killer at the moment, 500ml jars with the vacuum pop lid are 2.20, there's a 3 pack of flip top jars for 7, 250ml I think. Anyone seen any deals for baskets or is ebay my best bet?
    Starting all my cooking next weekend. Kinda terrified!

pampootie wrote: »
    Heatons have 30% off killer at the moment, 500ml jars with the vacuum pop lid are 2.20, there's a 3 pack of flip top jars for 7, 250ml I think. Anyone seen any deals for baskets or is ebay my best bet?

A shop on Liffey st upper have jars and baskets. Not the cheapest but a good range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Heaton's (Midleton anyway) have large/ex-large baskets too - €8 and €10. The 3 pack of jars are 500ml ones; they also have 3 x 1L for €8.40. Plus the 30% discount means really good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Anyone seen any deals for baskets or is ebay my best bet?

You could be cutting it tight buying from ebay, lots of retaliers of baskets are based in china and it can take 4 weeks for stuff to arrive.

Last year i didn't bother with baskets. I spray painted some squares of cardboard gold and placed my jars on those and wrapped them in cellophane and they looked great.

Another idea is to use those gold or red plates you see in the 2 euro stores as a base.

Does anybody have a recipe for mulled wine that can be made cold for heating at a later date? Or for a gift do you think a little jar with mulled wine spices in it along with a bottle of red would be better?

Does anybody have a recipe for mulled wine that can be made cold for heating at a later date? Or for a gift do you think a little jar with mulled wine spices in it along with a bottle of red would be better?

You could try making a mulling syrup? Then it just needs to be added to wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi Whispered, we make the mulled wine in advance every year, and reheats on the day, good idea with spices and wine as gift, here the recipe we use

2 bottles of medium to full bodied red wine
    1.5 liters of water
    1 orange stuck with cloves
    2 oranges sliced
    2 lemons sliced
    6 tblsp sugar or honey
    2 5cm piece of cinnamon stick
    2 tsp grated ginger, of ground ginger is fine
    2 tblsp of any fruit liqueur ( if you have it, no bother if you don't)

put everything in pan heat to simmering point stirring till sugar is dissolved, keep it at simmering point for 20mins ( do not boil or the alcohol will evaporate,:)) leave to cool and reheat slowly, again without boiling

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

You could try making a mulling syrup? Then it just needs to be added to wine.

lovely idea, great link thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas!

Tbh, I wasn't really feeling bothered with edible gifts again this year, but I've had a lot of requests so I'll be doing a hamper for my family, a hamper for the out-laws and a spare one just to have. Going with:
    • Chilli jam
    • Cranberry & white chocolate cookies
    • Honeycomb
    I'd like to do another preserve/condiment, anyone any suggestions? Last year I did a red onion marmalade from this thread, but it didn't turn out very well.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas!

Tbh, I wasn't really feeling bothered with edible gifts again this year, but I've had a lot of requests so I'll be doing a hamper for my family, a hamper for the out-laws and a spare one just to have. Going with:
    • Chilli jam
    • Cranberry & white chocolate cookies
    • Honeycomb
    I'd like to do another preserve/condiment, anyone any suggestions? Last year I did a red onion marmalade from this thread, but it didn't turn out very well.

What's your recipe for the cookies?
    I have made the Xmas chutney Mary Berrys one and a spiced apple chutney. The Xmas one looks great in the jars. Will be interesting to try them.
    Saw one recently for a rhubarb And vanilla jam and might do it if I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'm planning on making a cranberry and apple chutney tonight recipe from here

I'll let you know how it gets on but i find that any recipes ive used from that website are good.

Btw the cheapest place for cranberries seems to be Dunnes, i got a 340g bag for €2.49. Tesco are charging €3.99 for 250g. robbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Blingy wrote: »
    What's your recipe for the cookies?

Cranberry & White Chocolate Cookies - makes about 3 dozen

2.5 cups plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup butter
    .75 cup "normal" sugar
    1 packed cup demerara sugar
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1.5 cups dried cranberries
    1 cup chopped white chocolate

1. Preheat oven to 175C.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour & baking powder.

3. In another bowl, beat the butter for a minute or so until creamy. Add the sugars and beat again until the mixture is pale & fluffy in texture. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract.

4. Add the flour mix a third at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the cranberries & chocolate.

5. Drop the cookies by lightly rounded tablespoons onto baking trays lined with parchment paper. Leave a good gap between each of them, as they will spread quite a bit. Bake for 10 - 13 minutes each, switching the positions of the trays halfway through to make sure they brown evenly.

6. Remove from the oven while they're still slightly soft to the touch (you want these to still be chewy when they cool). Leave to rest on the baking tray for 3 minutes, then move to a wire rack.

Thought I had pics of them somewhere, but I can't find 'em. I'll add them later if I do.

Edit: Don't have a "naked" pic of them, but here's how I packaged them for last year's hampers.

408211_10150634642482678_1522284820_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

This is always best recieved in my hampers-super quick and easy great taste

http://en.petitchef.com/recipes/starter/rachel-allen-s-spicy-cranberry-orange-relish-fid-383433

Advertisement