Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monrology

before the world ends:

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!!! and thanks for the recipes.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Where did you source the wood wool? We had a really hard time finding any, we managed to scab a bag full off our local O'Briens in the end when we were in buying our Xmas wine :)

Got a recommendation on twitter for Doyle Distribution in Ballycoolin. Knocked up to their place yesterday and picked up a 10 kilo bag for 25euro. I think it'll take years to get through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Biscotti and cookies done. Was going to do honeycomb as well but I think I'm hampered out! Looking forward to putting it all together now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Honeycomb literally takes ten mins to make, only 3 ingredients. Well worth making and looks impressive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Avox wrote: »
    The only thing I'm making this year is two drinks:

- Homemade Baileys and
    - Homemade Baileys with Orange flavouring :)

Ooh...would you have a handy recipe for either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Finished off the homemade limoncello today after brewing it for about 2 months. It tastes really good and it's a super bright yellow which I love. Everything made except biscotti which I will make over the weekend.

Is 'hampering' a hobby? Because this sort of thing is awesome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Honeycomb literally takes ten mins to make, only 3 ingredients. Well worth making and looks impressive too.

Oh, go on then! :)
    Not tonight though. Tonight I'm going to sit down with a beer and smugly admire all the pretty things I've made so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I haven't had as much time this year to make prezzies thanks to a new job, but I managed to make hootietootie's microwave fudge and chocolate chip cookies for my colleagues in work - it went down a treat! :)

I only have to make the ultimate last-minute Xmas cake this weekend (yay for deelia), more fudge, more cookies, sigh...it's gonna be a busy time!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Hampers made up and ready to go (threw in a few nice bottles of craft beer too) :

jpafpy.jpg

And I'm very happy with the design of my labels :pac: :

el728y.jpg

Happy Christmas everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Ok, so here is my finished product! I only made one actual hamper, the rest of the stuff I just gave out in jars or bottles etc.

This is for my parents... My Mam's favourite colour is green, hence the box. The stripey things are two cushions I made for her.

There is also a box of fancy crackers to go in and a sodabread (it's not made yet :eek: ).

photo5_zps8f643144.jpg

Happy Christmas Everyone! Hope Santa is good to you all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Gave away my small hamper of microwave fudge, honeycomb (although it tastes mostly like candy floss so I've called it candyfloss flavoured honeycomb!) and an apple and raspberry jam.

They seem delighted, although are saving the contents for Stephen's day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Breaking News...

Gardai countrywide have reacted with shock at the high of quality of food hampers, sitting in the boots of vehicles, that are awaiting Christmas delivery.

It is believed some of the food producers in question are 'known to Gardai', and are possibly from the internet.

Under current legislation, food cannot be seized and must be eaten by its recipients.

Further details, and expanding waistlines to follow.

:pac:

(well done to all, seriously, and Happy Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Finally finished! Will post snap of put together hamper later. For now here are my lovely wee jars of chili jam and chutney. Very happy with how everything turned out.

5-2_zpsc0db0961.jpg

Final completed hampers ready to go!

IMG_0360_zpscf4f0d64.jpg

IMG_0362_zps5c7650ee.jpg

IMG_0361_zps62c26298.jpg

They contained sweet chili sauce, Apple and cranberry chutney, fudge, cranberry and almond biscotti, lemon curd, vanilla cake pops and chocolate cake pops, honeycomb. There's a box of chocoates in there too for this one as I made it as a favour for my boyfriend to give as a gift. I think they turned out really well, delighted with myself :)

Thanks for all the help and feedback from this thread, really is a life saver! Have a lovely Christmas guys :) See you all to do this all again next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Got Aztec truffles, choc orange fudge, Christmas cake and choc chip cookies all made and distributed tonight as gifts. Aztec truffles have been a particular hit.

Well done everyone for making this thread a joy for the third year in a row :D Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Don't kill me but this thread was brought up again around the same time last year - 22nd July to be exact! Was reading through it again and it's such a great thread!

Has anyone made Christmas puds yet or planning to do hampers with homemade goodies again this year?!

*waits for backlash

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Feck off, it's JULY!

/locks thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Faith wrote: »
    Feck off, it's JULY!

/locks thread :p

Less than 5 months to go!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

cee_jay wrote: »
    Less than 5 months to go!

Which means it's only been 7 months since the last one :pac:

Yay I initiated a response anyway at least :-P

It's one of the happiest threads I've read though seriously :-)

• Advertisement

Only yesterday I made a batch of chipotles en adobo - A sort of smokey, sweet chilli sauce - and today I'm going to make some chipotle bbq sauce.

If I end up doing hampers again this year I'll definitely include a few jars of both!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Only yesterday I made a batch of chipotles en adobo - A sort of smokey, sweet chilli sauce - and today I'm going to make some chipotle bbq sauce.

OOh they sound gorgeous would you mind sharing the recipe? I made hampers last year and they went down a treat. in the meantime i got a magimix for christmas and a kitchenaid for my birthday so i am planning on doing lots of homemade pressies this year!

ahayes84 wrote: »
    OOh they sound gorgeous would you mind sharing the recipe? I made hampers last year and they went down a treat. in the meantime i got a magimix for christmas and a kitchenaid for my birthday so i am planning on doing lots of homemade pressies this year!

Lucky you!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

At the moment I'm only growing the beetroot that I'll be making chutney with :)

ahayes84 wrote: »
    OOh they sound gorgeous would you mind sharing the recipe?

Wouldn't mind at all! :)

The chipotles en adobo is from a Thomasina Meir's recipe. The ingredients are:

- 100g chipotle chillies, stalks chopped (I get them from mymexicanshop.ie)
    - 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
    - 1/2 head garlic, roughly chopped
    - 1 and 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
    - 1 tbsp thyme
    - 1/2 tsp cumin
    - 150ml water
    - 175ml white wine vinegar
    - 25ml balsamic
    - 1 and 1/2 tbsp tomato puree
    - 3 and 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
    - 1 tbsp salt

1) Put the chillies in saucepan, cover with water & bring to boil before simmering for 35 mins approx, until the chillies have softened completely.

2) Put the onion, garlic, herbs & spices into a blender with two-thirds of the water and 3 of the chillies. Puree into smooth paste.

3) Get some olive oil nice and hot in a saucepan. Add the paste, stirring continuously for 3 minutes. Then add the vinegars, remaining water, tomato puree & sugar and cook for 5 minutes before adding the last of the chillies and cooking for about 15 minutes.

Once cooked, I like to blend it until the chillies have broken up and its more of a chunky paste before I put it in jars - Just my personal preference!

The chipotle BBQ sauce is a recipe of my own that I've been tinkering with for a while now, so it may still be bit of a work in progress!

Ingredients:
    - 2 tbsp chipotles en adobo (use a little bit more if you fancy a spicy kick to the sauce)
    - 1 tbsp cumin, 1tbsp fennel seeds, 2tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp cayenne, 1 tbsp coriander seed, 2 tsp pepper crushed up in pestle & mortar.
    - Zest of 1 lemon
    - 200g brown sugar
    - 160 ml water
    - 80ml apple juice, 80ml orange juice, 80ml lemon juice
    - 4 tbsp cider vinegar
    - 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
    - 2 tbsp mustard (I use dijon)
    - 60ml maple syrup
    - 250ml ketchup
    - 2 tbsp tomato puree
    - And half a shot or so of bourbon (for luck!)

Cooking instructions are a bit vague, I heat some oil in a saucepan and then add the chipotles en adobo, let it cook away for a minute or two, then add the spices and do the same before chucking in the lemon zest, sugar, water and all the other liquid ingredients. Bring it to a boil then turn the heat down nice and low and let it all simmer away for 45 minutes or so until it turns that gorgeous dark red colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Bumpety-bump!!

What are people up to in preparation for The Feast That Dare Not Speak It's Name (In September)? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Bumpety-bump!!

What are people up to in preparation for The Feast That Dare Not Speak It's Name (In September)? ;)

I am doing a lot of thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I tried out a sauce recipe using haw berries today, and if I deem it tasty enough, I'll make some for pressies. I've only tried a bit with a piece of crappy deli ham but I'd say it'd be much better with a hot, rich meat like lamb or venison. Its a sticky sweet sauce with a nice kick to it. It's cheap to make and haw berries are everywhere.

jjmbti.jpg

The recipe is from Pam Corbin's River Cottage Preserves Handbook.

Ingredients for a single 300ml bottle
    • 500g haws, removed from stalks [tedious so best do this while watching something interesting on telly/conversing with someone] and washed
    • 300ml cider or white wine vinegar [supervalu do a very cheap own brand of the latter]
    • 170g sugar
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • Black pepper to taste

Method

Put the haws, vinegar and 300ml cold water in a pot and simmer for 30mins till berries are getting mushy
    Press through a sieve to remove stones and skins
    return the sieved liquid to the pot and add the sugar
    Slowly bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and boil for 5 minutes
    Add your salt and pepper
    Pour into sterilised bottle with vinegar proof lid and it will keep for twelve months.

2qxrcyu.jpg

• Advertisement

Will start making chutneys next week :)

Looking forward to getting back to this, really enjoyed it last year :)

Advertisement