Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My Ballymakenny spuds just arrived, happy days. Can prep the roasties for Christmas dinner this weekend now. My mam normally just uses the frozen goose fat ones from Lidl but I said I'd do proper ones this year as a treat. So, Christmas & Stephenseseses Day spuds will be mashed Mayan Gold and a roasted medley of Pink Fir Apples, Red Emmalie, Violetta and Mayan Rose. Cannae wait!

I also bought the ham this year, got the outdoor reared Deluxe one from Lidl. I've more or less stopped eating pork because of the appalling way pigs are reared in Ireland but I can justify the cost of free range for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I like these from IKEA. Not the cheapest 3/€3.25. No chance of them being returned though :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My Ballymakenny spuds just arrived, happy days. Can prep the roasties for Christmas dinner this weekend now. My mam normally just uses the frozen goose fat ones from Lidl but I said I'd do proper ones this year as a treat. So, Christmas & Stephenseseses Day spuds will be mashed Mayan Gold and a roasted medley of Pink Fir Apples, Red Emmalie, Violetta and Mayan Rose. Cannae wait!

What's your method for prepping your roasties? I'm cooking for 8 and have a lot done in advance but have no idea how to prep spuds early.

What's your method for prepping your roasties? I'm cooking for 8 and have a lot done in advance but have no idea how to prep spuds early.

Peel your spuds, cut into large, even chunks and pop them into cold, salted water. Lid on, bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, allow to steam completely dry then tip them back into the pot with a sprinkle of flour, salt and pepper (I also add a spoonful of semolina for extra crunch), cover and give the pot a good shake to chuff them up a bit. Spread on a lined tray in a single layer, allow to completely, then freeze. Once they're frozen you can bag them up.

On the day, just heat up your oil/goose fat in a roasting tray and cook them from frozen.

You can freeze them up to a month in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Peel your spuds, cut into large, even chunks and pop them into cold, salted water. Lid on, bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, allow to steam completely dry then tip them back into the pot with a sprinkle of flour, salt and pepper (I also add a spoonful of semolina for extra crunch), cover and give the pot a good shake to chuff them up a bit. Spread on a lined tray in a single layer, allow to completely, then freeze. Once they're frozen you can bag them up.

On the day, just heat up your oil/goose fat in a roasting tray and cook them from frozen.

You can freeze them up to a month in advance.

Thank you very much. Does this alter the flavour or texture in any way?

• Advertisement

Thank you very much. Does this alter the flavour or texture in any way?

If you don't rush the cooling or freezing, no, it makes them even crispier. You need to let them completely dry before you season them, then completely cool and freeze in single layers til they're rock hard. If you overcrowd them when they're freezing they'll just stick together and then turn to mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I haven't gone mad on the edible gifts this year but made a couple of batches of my old favourite mulled wine cranberry sauce last week, and made my first attempt at spiced/flavoured nuts this evening.
    https://www.theroastedroot.net/maple-rosemary-roasted-nuts/ these are delicious, and no faffing about. Filled up a big kilner jar as a gift for a friend who loves nibbles. I didn't have avocado oil so just used what I had - sesame oil seemed appropriate, nice and nutty.
    https://www.natalieshealth.com/candied-walnuts/#cmtoc_anchor_id_0 these ones I'm not so sure about - they didn't dry out as much as I expected. In fairness they do taste great but I'd say they'll have to be scraped out of the bottom of the jar!

Made my cranberry sauce this morning. That's everything done now bar the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That’s interesting about prepping and freezing the roasties beforehand. Won’t do it this year but it’s definitely something I must test out. Could save a good chunk of time on the day.

Fairplay on giving out Kilner jars too. That’s gonna cost!!

Peach & Prosescco jam

Any chance of this recipe? Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

dee_mc wrote: »
    I haven't gone mad on the edible gifts this year but made a couple of batches of my old favourite mulled wine cranberry sauce last week, and made my first attempt at spiced/flavoured nuts this evening.
    https://www.theroastedroot.net/maple-rosemary-roasted-nuts/ these are delicious, and no faffing about. Filled up a big kilner jar as a gift for a friend who loves nibbles. I didn't have avocado oil so just used what I had - sesame oil seemed appropriate, nice and nutty.
    https://www.natalieshealth.com/candied-walnuts/#cmtoc_anchor_id_0 these ones I'm not so sure about - they didn't dry out as much as I expected. In fairness they do taste great but I'd say they'll have to be scraped out of the bottom of the jar!

Is there any chance I could get the cranberry sauce recipe please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Is there any chance I could get the cranberry sauce recipe please?!

Only saw this now - sorry if it's too late!
    340g fresh cranberries, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup red wine* into a saucepan with the zest of an orange, a splash of brandy and a mulled wine spice sachet (I used to make my own with cinnamon sticks and lovingly tied muslin - now I use the Schwartz teabag style sachet and it tastes the very same!)
    Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until all the berries have popped and the sauce is thick and glossy.
    Remove the spice sachet, then pour into a bowl and cover with clingfilm and leave to cool at room temp.
    Refrigerate til ready to serve.
    You can also pot it in prepared jars - it lasts up to a year in a well-sealed jar.
    *you don't need to use a full cup of wine if you'd rather not, if children will be having it etc- I've used half wine, half water or orange juice in the past. Still delicious. The brandy is obviously optional too but def makes it taste more like mulled wine!
    It's particularly good with cheese.

Advertisement