Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not to be sold separately

Options
  • 05-12-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

the local shop is selling chocolate bars with "not to be sold separately" printed on them,they are being sold separately

whats the deal here?

is it illegal?
    should he be reported?

as far as i know the bars with "not to be sold separately" are actually smaller than the ones that can be sold separately

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's not illegal. The supplier could be notified, as it is his brief, but to what end to you, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

It's not illegal. The supplier could be notified, as it is his brief, but to what end to you, I don't know.

thanks man,really pisses me off seeing that kinda s***

• Registered Users Posts: 26 donstavros

Cut the shop a break... do you not have anything better to do then complain about unimportant stuff.

The "not to be sold seperately" label is the manufacturer trying to control sales. Sure the bars are smaller but if a person has no problem paying for them just let it go.

The country is up the swanny and you're busting some shop keepers chops for splitting a multi-pack of chocolate bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

donstavros wrote: »
    Cut the shop a break... do you not have anything better to do then complain about unimportant stuff.

The "not to be sold seperately" label is the manufacturer trying to control sales. Sure the bars are smaller but if a person has no problem paying for them just let it go.

The country is up the swanny and you're busting some shop keepers chops for splitting a multi-pack of chocolate bars.

i have a problem paying for it if i know i should get a bigger bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

My local shop does this to and I remember looking into it a few years ago just out of interest and what the others have said is true, it's not illegal! The not to be sold separately is only a manufacturers recommendation! Shops can probly buy the stuff in cheaper cause multipack stuff is always cheaper and if that helps save a few extra jobs I've no problem with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Isn't it to do with paying less tax because the product was bought at a lower price per bar, and sold on at a higher price per bar?

Also, I think that when a shop sells a bundle pack of say a deli roll and a can of coke, they will scan the roll and give the coke for "free" (when in reality they've jacked up the price of the entire bundle), the bundle will be subject to a 13.5% tax rate, instead of the coke actually being subject to 21%. Is that correct?

I think they should be reported. If everyone else is paying tax, then so should the shop keeper, hard times or not. If they can't run a business lawfully, then they shouldn't run it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

i have a problem paying for it if i know i should get a bigger bar

Then don't pay for it, easy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It annoys me because they're making a saving and they're not passing it on. That stuff about saving jobs is rubbish. The shopkeeper is pulling a fast one on the manufacturer. Surely the manufacturer has employees too?

Bottom line, it's dishonest. Even if the multipack bars aren't smaller. I know a shop that does this with a lot of stuff and I just stopped going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Long before the country was up the Swannee, shops were pulling this stunt. Nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Cut the shop a break my arse, shop across the way from me is selling multi pack(not to be sold separately) crisps 25g for 70 cent.

The same price that the 40g shop packs should be, greedy bastard.

I'll also add this is the exact reason the country is up the swanny GREED...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Firstly my thought has always been who gives brands the right to tell someone how to sell there goods.

second. the not to be sold seperatly principle is based on the shop buying a multi pack eg coke at a cheaper price then selling it cheaper as a multi pack. It increases sales for the brand and as the multi pack brings in more money to the shop.

However on sweets etc it never bothered me. It has happened in shops for years..

Where it would bother me is shops that buy multi packs of chrisps and sell the smaller packs for the same price.

However if they are selling like for like... Really i could not care. Its free enterprise.

However.... One word of advice... Its illegal to sell something that does not contain ingredients and suppliers address. Sometimes suppliers do away with this on multi packs because its on the outside label,

So if a shop breaks it down and this information is not contained then what its doing is illegal and in some cases it can be constitutied as re branding meaning the shop assumes liability for any product damage...(eg may contain nuts)

The shops insurence will not cover for this and so the shop owner can be charged for neglagence...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

bryaner wrote: »
    Cut the shop a break my arse, shop across the way from me is selling multi pack(not to be sold separately) crisps 25g for 70 cent.

The same price that the 40g shop packs should be, greedy bastard...

Have to agree with you, shops have been doing this for years pure greed. Saw a 2 for €5 on Brylcreem wax in the local chemist and Spar had separated the packs and stuck a white lebel over the NOT TO BE SOLD SEPARATELY sticker and were selling them for €4.99 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If the shopkeeper is making a saving, and not passing the saving on to the customer, is it still unimportant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bryaner wrote: »

The same price that the 40g shop packs should be, greedy bastard.

I'll also add this is the exact reason the country is up the swanny GREED...
    D1976 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you, shops have been doing this for years pure greed. Saw a 2 for €5 on Brylcreem wax in the local chemist and Spar had separated the packs and stuck a white lebel over the NOT TO BE SOLD SEPARATELY sticker and were selling them for €4.99 each.

In all the cases people only need to send off an email to the manufacturers and inform them of the practice and where it is taking place and they will get a visit from the wholesalers who will have been contacted by the manufacturers.

I let Jacobs know before when some biscuits in a local shop which were advertised as 100% free were being sold at double the normal price, two days later they were labeled properly.

The manufacturer or wholesaler cant force the shopkeekers to comply but they can refuse to supply them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Manufacturers also put a RRP on everything. Does this mean that we all spend our days complaining to them that they say €1 but a shop is selling them for €1.20?

Whats that saying " let the buyer beware"

If you dont like it dont buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

You do know that It doesn't cost the shops more to buy single packs of crisps instead of multipacks?? They are charged exactly the same price regardless of the packaging.

Market research shows how much people are willing to pay for certain items and thats why tayto, cans of coke and kit-kats are sold at the price they are, even tho its much cheaper for the consumer to buy them in multipacks.

TBF to the shop, chances are a multipack bag split or one can in a pack burst so instead of chucking the lot, they just put them on the shelves and sold them individually. Its not ripping off the customer, its just common sense.

I dont know where people get the notion that all shopkeepers are greedy b*stards who want to squeeze every cent outta you. Theyre just trying to pay their bills and the staff wages, same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

AFAIK the only thing you can't break up and sell seperately is Cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

AFAIK the only thing you can't break up and sell seperately is Cigarettes.

Its so illegal i cannot believe shops use to take the chance doing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

You do know that It doesn't cost the shops more to buy single packs of crisps instead of multipacks?? They are charged exactly the same price regardless of the packaging.

Market research shows how much people are willing to pay for certain items and thats why tayto, cans of coke and kit-kats are sold at the price they are, even tho its much cheaper for the consumer to buy them in multipacks.

TBF to the shop, chances are a multipack bag split or one can in a pack burst so instead of chucking the lot, they just put them on the shelves and sold them individually. Its not ripping off the customer, its just common sense.

I dont know where people get the notion that all shopkeepers are greedy b*stards who want to squeeze every cent outta you. Theyre just trying to pay their bills and the staff wages, same as everyone else.

Jaysus he must have bust open a few thousand multi packs cause the fcuker is at it a long time..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm sure these guys wouldn't mind hearing about any dodgy shops...

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/investigations-prosecutions-division.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

However.... One word of advice... Its illegal to sell something that does not contain ingredients and suppliers address. Sometimes suppliers do away with this on multi packs because its on the outside label,

So if a shop breaks it down and this information is not contained then what its doing is illegal and in some cases it can be constitutied as re branding meaning the shop assumes liability for any product damage...(eg may contain nuts)

The shops insurence will not cover for this and so the shop owner can be charged for neglagence...

That was what I was thinking as well.
    The label/packaging probably does not contain all the information that is require by law and/or regulations.
    If the packaging has a number to contact the manufacture why not give them a call and ask what is missing from these labels? I'm sure they would be very interested and there might be a voucher or two in it for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

busman wrote: »
    That was what I was thinking as well.
    The label/packaging probably does not contain all the information that is require by law and/or regulations.
    If the packaging has a number to contact the manufacture why not give them a call and ask what is missing from these labels? I'm sure they would be very interested and there might be a voucher or two in it for you :D

and what would the manufacture do? More than likely the retailler bought the items from Musgraves or the like .... really the crap that people worry about !!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Firstly my thought has always been who gives brands the right to tell someone how to sell there goods.

The brands do. The cost on multi-packs is less than the equivalent single-products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

My local sells multi-pack singles but they sell them for cheaper than the standard ones.
    Isn't it to do with paying less tax because the product was bought at a lower price per bar, and sold on at a higher price per bar?

Also, I think that when a shop sells a bundle pack of say a deli roll and a can of coke, they will scan the roll and give the coke for "free" (when in reality they've jacked up the price of the entire bundle), the bundle will be subject to a 13.5% tax rate, instead of the coke actually being subject to 21%. Is that correct?

I see no tax implication when breaking apart multi-packs as the VAT is due on the sale price anyway. Your sandwich example is definitely creative accounting though.

Then why do shops break open multi-packs instead of buying boxes of singles? Why do the manufacturers mark them as not for individual sale if they're getting the same amount of money for them? You say that they're from packs that are accidentally split, but in reality most of these newsagents don't sell the multi-packs in the first place.

I only see two options

1) You're incorrect and they're cheaper wholesale than the single packs.

2) They're the same price gram for gram but the multi-pack ones are smaller. Shops sell them for the same price as a full sized single in the hope that people won't notice or care about the difference.

Actually I'd say it's a combination of both but I'm mostly leaning towards option 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

For God's sake, how is this a consumer problem or even an issue, are you paying more than the normal price for this product regardless of what's written on it?, is it an inferior product than the one that is sold seperately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

What utter CRAP!

A shop charges vat on the SELLING price of the goods. If the bar was €1.21 and cost the shop 70c, then the vat element is 21c.

If the shop charged 1.21 and bought at 10 then the vat is still 21c.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 donstavros

Well I still say if a shop wants to split multi-packs and people are willing to buy them - what's the problem?

I've seen discount stores/2 Euro shops splitting multi-packs to do special offers e.g. 5 bars/cans of coke for 2 Euro. I think it is legal and people have the choice whether to buy or go somewhere else.

Don't understand why manufacturers bother to put "Not to be sold seperately" on the products. whats it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'd only be annoyed if it was taken from something it was supposed to come free with.

A shop that used to trade in Stillorgan Shopping Centre was notorious for this, its gone about 10 years now, and they used to sell PC magazines at the RRP, but seperate it from and sell the "Free Demo Disc" seperately at nearly the same price. Twas a joke.

That sort of crap I would be concerned about, but not simply the retailer (especially if its a smaller shop) just trying to make a few quid of it.
    Don't understand why manufacturers bother to put "Not to be sold seperately" on the products. whats it to them?

Manufacturers put the "not to be sold seperately" on multipacks because multipacks are cheaper to buy then crates of singles, so the retailer "should" have to pay more and then the manufacturer makes more money off effectively the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

whippet wrote: »
    and what would the manufacture do? More than likely the retailler bought the items from Musgraves or the like .... really the crap that people worry about !!!! :rolleyes:

I work in Quality and it's my job to worry about this sort of work so people like you don't have to :p

I think that the manufacture would be very interested, it is their product and they have the ultimate responsibility for it.
    I'm also sure that they could trace the product back to the wholesaler by lot number.

The problem is that somebody is doing something that they shouldn't!!
    It's the "A sure whats the harm with that" or "I don't see a problem with that" attitude that has got the country into the mess we are in now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

davo10 wrote: »
    For God's sake, how is this a consumer problem or even an issue, are you paying more than the normal price for this product regardless of what's written on it?, is it an inferior product than the one that is sold seperately?

Well yes......the consumer is paying more than they should becaus the retailer has fattened up his profit using the consumer's discount.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement