Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New photos of Pearl Harbour discovered after 68 years stored in camera. .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Amazing photos, Thanks. Any idea what the little clock/dial is on the 5th pic down, in the bottom right hand corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

FoxT wrote: »
    Amazing photos, Thanks. Any idea what the little clock/dial is on the 5th pic down, in the bottom right hand corner?
    Looks like a dial inside an aircraft cockpit.

Next photo a nice image of a Catalina before it would have been destroyed.

RIP to those that were trying to move it.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

They are stunning pictures but check out this quote from that page
    this has been around the internet way too long. It's a hoax..sorry.

These photographs are genuine and do show the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. However, they were not found stored in a Kodak Box brownie camera nor were they taken by a sailor on the USS QUAPAW. In fact, the images are US Naval archive photographs taken by different people at various locations around Pearl Harbour at the time of the attack. The photographs form part of the historical image collection available on the Naval Historical Center website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

I have to say that some do look very familiar to me... anyway I found a blog from 2008 with the same photograps and the same story... Nevertheless incredible photos.

Edit: Hoax, LIFE magazine has it all. I suppose another Pearl Harbor anniversary is coming up and so the legend has to be kept alive :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The only real way to tell would be down to forensics. A good photo lab should be able to tell if the prints came from the same reel / camera and how long they have been around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Does the fact that some are taken from land, some from the sea, some from heights and some from ground level not ring any bells, I dont think we need to bother the CSI team about this one, unless that sailor done an awful lot of running and climbing during the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Looks like a dial inside an aircraft cockpit.

Next photo a nice image of a Catalina before it would have been destroyed.

RIP to those that were trying to move it.. :mad:
    How do you that particular Catalina was destroyed, I don't see how you could tell from the next photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder if film would last that long just sitting in a camera. You hear about movie film being badly damaged after being stored in a proper container for 25 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

The only real way to tell would be down to forensics. A good photo lab should be able to tell if the prints came from the same reel / camera and how long they have been around.

No, you can be pretty sure they aren't all from the same camera, unless you think the photographer jogged for miles around Pearl Harbor,
    during an air attack, snapping pictures, and then caught a boat over to Ford Island to take pictures during the attack there as well.

Advertisement