Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best keeper of all time.

• 05-12-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Since a couple of you have called for it, this one is to complement the best keeper in the world thread.

Who do you think is the greatest goalkeeper ever? 147 votes

Sepp Maier
    0% 0 votes
    Dino Zoff
    0% 1 vote
    Gianluigi Buffon
    1% 2 votes
    Gordon Banks
    15% 23 votes
    Peter Schmeichel
    0% 1 vote
    Oliver Kahn
    52% 77 votes
    Lev Yashin
    8% 13 votes
    Andoni Zubizaretta
    14% 22 votes
    Pat Jennings
    1% 2 votes
    Peter Shilton
    4% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Pakie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Cos Safe Hands isnt there...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No Reina??

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Lev Yashin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Pat Jennings? He can't even make the Shamrock Rovers team. :P

Buffon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Rinat Dasaev.. He was known as the Iron Curtain!

http://www.world-football-legends.co.uk/dasaev.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Pat Jennings? He can't even make the Shamrock Rovers team. :P

Buffon.

You should see his bird!! Yowzer.

Shilton? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Lev Yashin.

... is the correct answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Trotter wrote: »
    Rinat Dasaev.. He was known as the Iron Curtain!

http://www.world-football-legends.co.uk/dasaev.php
    I agree fully and its not even close imo. He was so far ahead of any other keeper I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its Dasayev and I agree fully and its not even close imo. He was so far ahead of any other keeper I've ever seen.

Thanks! My Russian isnt great :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Packie Bonner from Donegal:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

poll lacks Schumacher, even if he was a bit of a scummer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Buffon by a mile. Not only does he not make mistakes, he saves the impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Joel Bats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

no Sea Man?

250px-SeaMan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Where's Jimmy Glass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Schmeichel, are you lot f*cking serious?

Buffon or Yashin, flip a fu*king coin, it's those two miles ahead of the rest.

I'd pick Buffon because I actually seen him play a lot where as Yashin I only know by records/reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I went Buffon because he's the only one I've seen enough to judge properly. A fantastic keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Seaneh wrote: »

Pfft, United fans eh!?

I'd pick Buffon because I actually seen him play a lot where as Yashin I only know by records/reputation.
    Yashin isn't even the best Russian, Dasayev was better than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Higuita or Campos

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yashin isn't even the best Russian, Dasayev was better than him.

You're one of a massive minority who think that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If Schmeichel had played in any other league you would be creaming over him.

Pro. F wrote: »
    If Schmeichel had played in any other league you would be creaming over him.

No, I wouldn't.
    I just don't think he was *that* good.

He was a great player but He's not even better than Iker and he's nowhere near Buffon.

Then again, this is the same board that reckons that Messi is better than Maradona and that Cantona was better than Savićević, so nothing here really surprises me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

What about Peter 'The Cat' Bonetti?
    Oh wait..didn't he have a crap world cup and was then renamed Peter 'The C**t' Bonetti?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Schmeichel. :rolleyes:

Bloody plastics.

No, I wouldn't.

He was a great player but He's not even better than Iker and he's nowhere near Buffon.

He was miles better than Casillas. There is no comparison.

I understand the admiration for Buffon. He is very special. But I can't agree with the dismissal of Schmeichel down to the ranks of Iker.

Personally I would have Schmeichel and Buffon at the top and I could see an argument for either of them. Lev Yeshin was supposedly great but there's no real way of knowing at this stage.

Schmeichel. :rolleyes:

Bloody plastics.

Dismissing Schmeichel. :rolleyes:

Bloody LOItards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

LOL....... No, Just LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Of those I have seen play

Kahn > Buffon >>>>>>>>>>Seaman > Schmeichel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yashin - He saved over 150 penalties and kept almost 500 clean sheets in 812 games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Schmeichel is not a bad shout. He was one of the most important players United ever had. Easily won his team 15 points a season. Immense in Euro 92 & that save against Rapid Viena in 1996 just defied the laws of gravity(almost).

A couple of games that stand out for me.

Vs Newcastle 95/96

Vs Liverpool 96/97

Vs Arsenal 96/97

United won all these games 1-0 & were on the back foot for most of the match & Schmeichel just basically kept them in these games with world class save after world class save it was incredible. Can't remember a keeper being so influential in potential tittle deciding games.

Maybe not the greatest of all time but it certainly wouldnt be sensational to suggest that he was. He's certainly near the top anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

something is wrong here..........no 0ne has mentioned paddy roche:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

bruce grobbelaar or even roy "norn iron" carroll

Schmeichel for me :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Schmiechel was clutch, to borrow an American term. United wouldn't have won the treble without him and he had as much influence on United in the 90s as ANY other player.

Liam O wrote: »
    Schmiechel was clutch, to borrow an American term. United wouldn't have won the treble without him and he had as much influence on United in the 90s as ANY other player.

So being a good player at Man United in the 90's, when English football was on a down and just beginning to become a big league with the Sky money is the arbitrator of 'best ever' now, is it?

He was of course a good keeper. But if you think he was up there with Yashin, Buffon, Jennings etc you need to exand your horizons beyond the football they show in your local.

So being a good player at Man United in the 90's, when English football was on a down and just beginning to become a big league with the Sky money is the arbitrator of 'best ever' now, is it?

He was of course a good keeper. But if you think he was up there with Yashin, Buffon, Jennings etc you need to exand your horizons beyond the football they show in your local.

Exactly.
    It's the same as the Cantona argument.
    Big fish, small pond.
    The English league in the 90's was muck. United didn't even start progressing in Europe until 1999. Before that season nobody in Europe considered them a threat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Bert Trautmann deserves to be mentioned in this thread. A hard as nails former German para who won an Iron Cross on the Eastern Front, who famously finished a game suffering a broken neck.

He had a penalty save rate of 60% during his career and played over 500 times for City, and his fans included Matt Busby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Why isn't Iker Casillas there? 2 Champions League medals, 4 leagues, Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010.

Some keepers on that list don't have those winner medals. Stunning keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seaneh wrote:
    Exactly.
    Big fish, small pond.
    The English league in the 90's was muck. United didn't even start progressing in Europe until 1999. Before that season nobody in Europe considered them a threat!

Schmeichel was named UEFA goalkeeper of the year four times in the nineties so to make out he was only rated highly in England, as some are suggesting, is nonsense. It's not Schmeichel's fault he played in the era he did. I don't know if Schmeichel is the best ever but he was definitely one of Europe's best in the nineties so I don't know why there is hostility to his name being mentioned.
    Well I do actually, either ABUs acting up or anti-EPL sh*te

Also I wonder have those who are saying Schmeichel's not good enough, and who are mentioning Yashin, have they even seen the latter play a full 90 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

CorkMan wrote: »
    Why isn't Iker Casillas there? 2 Champions League medals, 4 leagues, Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010.

Some keepers on that list don't have those winner medals. Stunning keeper.

The poll isn't "keeper who has won most medals". That isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Exactly.
    Big fish, small pond.

Revisionism in action.

You could apply similar logic to Ibrahimovic now btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

Also I wonder have those who are saying Schmeichel's not good enough, and who are mentioning Yashin, have they even seen the latter play a full 90 minutes?

to be fair i dont think you really need to have seen yashin play. hes widely regarded as one of the best keepers of all time.

Schmeichel was named UEFA goalkeeper of the year four times in the nineties so to make out he was only rated highly in England, as some are suggesting, is nonsense. It's not Schmeichel's fault he played in the era he did. I don't know if Schmeichel is the best ever but he was definitely one of Europe's best in the nineties so I don't know why there is hostility to his name being mentioned.
    Well I do actually, either ABUs acting up or anti-EPL sh*te

I have never seen Pele play 90 mins, but I know he was one of the best ever.

My objection was to the methodology applied. Schmichel was the Man united Keeper at a time when English clubs were just back into Europe, Hillsboro had just happened and Sky money hadn't, and the game over there was in general a mess. Man United were the best of a poor bunch at the time.

While he was a very, very good keeper, I would question whether he can be called one of the worlds best ever, given the justification I remarked on.

These things are pointless if you just pick your teams representitive and call everyone who questions you as being 'against' your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Surprised no one has mentioned that the role of the keeper has changed radically from 1992 when the backpass rule came into play. Now that have to be good with their feet which was really required so much from the pre backpass keepers. Packie went from a decent keeper to somewhat sh!t fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Jussi all the way..aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Exactly.
    Big fish, small pond.

You obviously didn't watch the 1992 European Championship then? Hardly a 'muck' tournament.

Also, he won several goalie/forward duals in matches against the likes of Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Dennis Bergkamp, Les Ferdinand - none of whom I would describe as 'muck' forwards in their heyday. He missed games for United in Europe btw because of the stupid 3 foreign players rule.

Like with at least 3 or 4 others on this list, he's a fair choice for the greatest goalie of all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

You obviously didn't watch the 1992 European Championship then? Hardly a 'muck' tournament.

Also, he won several goalie/forward duals in matches against the likes of Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Dennis Bergkamp, Les Ferdinand - none of whom I would describe as 'muck' forwards in their heyday. He missed games for United in Europe btw because of the stupid 3 foreign players rule.

Like with at least 3 or 4 others on this list, he's a fair choice for the greatest goalie of all time.

To be fair Denmark never even qualified for that tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

karma_ wrote: »
    To be fair Denmark never even qualified for that tournament.

Even more of an achievement that they went on to win it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement