Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build and deliver

Options
  • 05-12-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Hey there :)

I'm considering purchasing a new PC before Christmas, and I was wondering is there any site that will build a PC for you and deliver it to your door? I was working on one on the Dell website but soon started to realise that it was fairly expensive..

Building a PC isn't out of the question though.. I'd like to build one, but I've never done it before! I'd be interested in learning how!

Edit: I should probably go into a bit more detail

The whole reason I'm in the market for a new PC is because the Parents' hard drive decided to die (again). Instead of just getting a new HD we're going to purchase a new system since that's about 8 years old (It's just about capable of running Windows 2000).. So the options are:
    • Get them a new a PC and purchase upgrades for my rig.
    • Give them my PC and put the money towards a new PC for me

My current rig is fine, but it's feeling a bit dated.. 2GB of RAM, AMD 64 Processor 4000+ ~2.6GHz, On-board sound card, 512mb GeForce 8600 GT graphics card which has no HDMI output. I'm not sure whether to upgrade it, or get a new one.

1. Budget - Lower = Better I'd like to be between €500 - €700 with the possibility of upgrading.. (Being a student in a recession is not so fun)

2. Usage - I watch a lot of movies/series online, and play a fair bit of games so graphics and sound quality are important. I also use it record guitar riffs occasionally so on-board sound isn't exactly optimum.

3. Monitor - At the moment I'm using my 32" TV which I don't like using unless I'm watching something. I intend to get a new monitor eventually...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AengusMB

Hardwareversand.de will build and deliver for a relatively small fee i think...
    But building it would probably be more fun :P

Also, if you do research and do everything carefully, building it isn't actually that difficult.
    If you do plan to build i'd advise getting an anti-static wristband or gloves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

AengusMB wrote: »
    If you do plan to build i'd advise getting an anti-static wristband or gloves though.
    Its grand if you dont do it on carpet lol, also touching the PSU( normally one of the first components installed ) every 5 mins to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Updated the first post a bit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

most people here will tell you to go to Hardwareversande to buy a new pc and they will put all the parts together for an extra €20 unless you buy a non stock cpu cooler as it could damage in transit
    for research read through this forum as a lot of people have been asking lately for a good pc that will last them with good graphics for your price range
    when you think you have an idea of what you want put your build up and we will be able to advise you further
    will you need mouse, keyboard, monitor and OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

AengusMB wrote: »
    Hardwareversand.de will build and deliver for a relatively small fee i think...
    But building it would probably be more fun :P

Also, if you do research and do everything carefully, building it isn't actually that difficult.

hey mate i was wondering where can you get them bands/gloves in dublin? or can you get one from hardwareversand? :)

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I would give your current PC to your parents, it will be plenty fast enough for them and to be honest the graphics card you have is absolutely awful for gaming

Next, read the budget pc sticky post - a lot of great systems for between 500 and 700

For about 600 built and delivered you can have a system from hardwareversand.de that will run all games very nicely, will make a huge difference over your current system

If your parents insist on a new pc, then get them one of these, they are fantastic
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-1-6GHz-Keyboard-Windows-Premium/dp/B003N0GWJ2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1291634666&sr=8-8
    They wouldnt need anything more
    you can get cheaper models etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AengusMB

I Picked out a build sticking as closely as i could to your request, but i ended up a bit over the top... :P

compbuild-1.jpg

I forgot to add a CD/DVD drive, so if you can't get an old one from some computer (I know i have a couple of old ones around, maybe you do.. ) then here's a cheap one:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29466&agid=699

I also didn't add a sound card, and though theres one on the mobo, you could swap out the SSD drive (Which is for your OS and whichever else you want to run quickly) for one like:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=23377&agid=767

Edit: Didn't notice that they were out of stock on that ram, but any similar DDR3 should do.

if you wanted.
    darego wrote: »
    hey mate i was wondering where can you get them bands/gloves in dublin? or can you get one from hardwareversand? :)

thanks
    I'm not sure about specifics, but i'd say your best bet would be a big electronics store, Maplin or the like.
    Theres some gloves on Elara too: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=GCE11518&productID=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

prototype0.png

Quite a bit over budget.. :o €805

Few questions:
    1. Why choose branded RAM over generic?

2. I was intending on purchasing an external HD to store all my music, movies etc. Would it be better to just keep that 1TB? Or get a smaller internal one, and buy an external one?

3. I'm not sure what kind of wattage I'd need for the PSU

4. Didn't know what kind of motherboard to pick.. Picked one that sounded good at a somewhat reasonable price

5. Will I need an Ethernet adapter?

Advertisement