Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot Stove

• 05-12-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Just starting a thread for the deals that will likely happen now that the Winter meetings have begun.

Jason Werth's gone to the Nats which took me my surprise. Surely there was a team capable of competing that would have been willing to go for him and give him what he wants?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I would've thought Seattle would jump all over him but looks like they might be giving Michael Saunders another chance in left field...which is a good thing.

I'll give Werth the benefit of the doubt and say he's looking at the Nats future with Strasburg and Bryce Harper...but that nice fat paycheck must have sweetened the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

I'd say its a lot more to do with the 9 figure sum he'll be getting!

Gonzo to the Red Sox is the biggest deal so far. Padres getting 3 top prospects plus a PTBNL. If the Sox can't work out an extension for Gonzalez, they were ripped off in this deal.

I think wherever Cliff Lee goes will determine where the rest of the pitching market will end up. Not a lot out there, so I think some guys will be in for big pay days as soon as Lee signs (probably with the Yankees).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

It doesn't seem that the Yankees can give up on Lee now. That might leave Greinke to the Rangers, which they would arguably be better off with anyway. It's hard to see Lee being worth over $20million in 6 years time. The Yankees can carry that load better than anyone else I suppose but they're really starting to collect those weighty contracts now. The Angels must be disgusted at how the offseason is turning out. I thought the Rule 5 Draft went well for the Mets yesterday, Jack - that Eamus guy could fill 2B with a bit of luck. I'm bemused as to why the Cubs are chasing starting pitchers when all their top prospects bar one are starting pitchers. I hope they're just bluffing. Although I wouldn't mind a punt on Brandon Webb if he cost around $10million I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/14/lee.to.phillies/index.html?eref=sihp

Can't see anyone stopping the Phillies in the NL now. Lee, Halladay, Oswalt, Hammels - what a line up!

I wonder how the Yankees feel now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

oh thats one scary rotation... And as a yankees fan im a bit disappointed that we didn't get Lee... So now i think we gotta make a play for Grienke... or maybe Garza...

• Advertisement

Do you think the Yankees have what it takes to trade for Greinke? I heard the Royals were after young pitching and/or major league ready position players. Would they really part with Gardner and/or Montero plus a couple of young pitchers for Greinke? I'd say that's what it'd take. Even considering that, I reckon there's a few keen teams that may outbid them in terms of prospects. Considering the money the Yanks have at their disposal, I reckon they'll go and overspend on a FA pitcher or go with someone like Garza, as you mentioned.

The more i think about it, i think the yankees will probably sign Garza.. there was talk on espn about Greinke suffering with social anxiety so he would look lost on the mound in yankee stadium...

But im very worried pitching wise next season... Sabathia coming off an op.. burnett with an ERA over 5.. Pettitte is gone the year after...

Will they try and move chamberlain out of the bull pen???

Garza would be a good trade for them. Solid pitcher who's familiar with the AL East. Dunno if the Rays would want to give him up to the Yankees, though.

Mayble they'll go for Pavano. I know it didn't exactly work out last time, but he seems to be more durable now!

I know the Rays are shedding payroll but trading to your biggest rival? If they do that they'll be lucky to get anybody to pay into see them next season (and there aren't many of them as it is!)

Yeah, it would be a bit extreme just to shed the payroll considering he's not due to make a fortune by baseball standards, but if they get an epic package of young, controllable players for him, why would they turn it down? Small market teams always have to keep one eye on the chequebook.

• Advertisement

So Grienke ended up at the Brewers.. thats a very interesting move imo because he'll pitch well in that ball park and it gives the brewers a massive boost, it really pushes them up the NL East ratings as well..

Yeah, they'll probably compete now. Though that Betancourt contract is an somewhat of an albatross around their neck. Still fancy the Reds to reclaim the NL Central, and the Cardinals are looking stronger too.

Yuni costs them $6m. They pay him four this year and then they pay another two to buy him out in 2012. And he's gone. $4m probably won't even be 1 WAR this year. The Brewers will live with him. Craig Counsel can help out at short a few times a week too. I think they're winning the Central. The Reds are a good team, but I don't see them as 90 game winners every season. The Cardinals are still too dependent on four players. I don't see how they've gotten better. Berkman in the outfield is just going to be funny. The Brewers already had a cracking offence. Now they'll have a starting four of Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum and Wolf. If they avoid a serious injury crisis, they'll within shouting distance of 90 wins, and that should be enough to win the division.

Anybody surprised by Garza's apparent trade to the Cubs???

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5998431

Surprised at what? That the Cubs did it? Or that it happened at all?

It's taking a kicking in the blogosphere, I know that much. Garza's good and he's young and he's relatively cost-controlled for the next three years. And yeah the Cubs gave up quite a bit, certainly more than a guy at Garza's level should be demanding. I don't even really care about the prospects though mainly because the Cubs's system is well-stocked (no elite talent, but a lot of depth in terms of guys with good shot at the majors), particularly with pitchers. Archer definitely has an interesting arm but his walk rate will most likely consign him to relief. Lee is a few years away and even when he arrives, well, Starlin Castro is playing shortstop so, whatever. The other guys are reserve/utility players, potentially useful but not worth crying over (at the moment, things can always change). The annoying thing is that even if the Cubs were realistic contenders, their rotation is chock full of Matt Garzas already. Dempster, Wells, even the twin Carlos's - Zambrano and Silva - had better seasons than him last year. So did Tom Gorzalanny. Ok, Garza's coming from the AL east, he could be better, but he won't be that much better that anyone will really notice. And then there's Andrew Cashner, wasting away in the 'pen. This is the most unnecessary of unnecessary trade, unless you consider that the Cubs Convention is not selling out and that the season ticket list is apparently dwindling. Then you understand. Stupid Cubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Reds once again sneak a signing unnoticed. They did it with Aroldis Chapman and now they've worked out a deal with Renteria. Have to say another great addition by Walt Jocketty, they clearly have a great group of young players and Jocketty has had great success bringing in veterans to help them develop while also contributing to the team.

Garza's a very good starter at an affordable price, but hardly a priority for the Cubs right now. They're looking at having him under control for a while, I'd imagine.

Manny and Damon to the Rays? I don't think I'm a fan of that move.

No Jack? At 7m combined? Manny had an OBP over 400 last year, in limited time. Damon is still a league-average LF. As long as Manny doesn't throw a major strop I think it'll work out very nicely for them.

Did you see the Wells trade? That was hilarious! Sucks to be an Angels fan...

No Jack? At 7m combined? Manny had an OBP over 400 last year, in limited time. Damon is still a league-average LF. As long as Manny doesn't throw a major strop I think it'll work out very nicely for them.

I know they didn't break the bank (do the Rays ever?) but I think it's two players who are well past their best. And with Manny, you just don't know whether he;s going to be interested or if he's going to cause trouble. Even if he starts off hitting, come June or July he'll probably be wanting out.

• Advertisement

So Pettitte has retired... now this leaves the Yankee starters very thin..

Sabbathia
    Hughes
    Burnett
    Nova (He'll prob make the step up)
    so that leaves Mitre, Colon and Gracia competing for the 5th spot unless cashman brings in another experienced starter..
    Also i see with Posada moving into the DH role there gonna have Martin starting catcher..

as a fan im very worried..

I'd hardly be worried as a Yankee fan! That's still a good 1-2-3, and there's a few decent options for the back end of the rotation. The bullpen is strong, the line up is possibly the best in baseball, and they have the resources to make a big trade in July if necessary.

Firehen wrote: »
    I'd hardly be worried as a Yankee fan! That's still a good 1-2-3, and there's a few decent options for the back end of the rotation. The bullpen is strong, the line up is possibly the best in baseball, and they have the resources to make a big trade in July if necessary.

Burnett has to be a real worry with the way he performed last year.. They don't wanna trade away there draft picks (if they did surely they would of went for Garza), Soriano will surely help out the Bullpen but they are in bad need of another starter.. With Pettitte retiring it really leaves a hole in the starting rotation.

Firehen wrote: »

Isn't there a little thyme doing the rounds at the moment? "Sabathia, Hughes then Lose, Lose Lose"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Who do ye guys think the Yankees would have to give up to get Felix Hernandez this seaon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Coeus wrote: »
    Who do ye guys think the Yankees would have to give up to get Felix Hernandez this seaon?

A king's ransom

A king's ransom

Was thinking that. A few of the crown jewels in their farm system and possibly Hughes.

I was reading today that CC has an opt out at the end of the season. Surely he will to look for more money like ARod did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

So who thinks Pojols will sign his Cardinals contract?
    If not, where's he off to!

If they stump up the cash he will but it is believed he rejected around $200M over 8 years. I think they will come to an agreement but it might be after the season is done at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Coeus wrote: »

The keys to the kingdom! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Not trade news, but may lead to a rushed trade for a replacement, Adam Wainwright looks like he is out for the season..

MASSIVE MASSIVE BLOW!!

Not trade news, but may lead to a rushed trade for a replacement, Adam Wainwright looks like he is out for the season..

MASSIVE MASSIVE BLOW!!

Yeah, that ain't good. And with all the uncertainty about Pujols, it could be a tough year for Cardinals fans.

Adam Wainwright looks like he is out for the season..
    Yea, looks like he has done his elbow. Tommy John surgery is looking likely...

MASSIVE MASSIVE BLOW!!

Ouch my elbow.....

I know it means nothing and most of the players playing are all going to be in the minor leagues once the season starts but it was good having baseball back today, even if it was only Spring training.

• Advertisement
Advertisement