Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is emulation possible on Windows 7 ?

• 05-12-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I have an accounts package which I have been using for over 10 years now and it has worked successfully on two successive laptops. The last one uses Windows XP.

I now have a new laptop with Windows 7 and the program won't install on it. Is there some sort of emulation program that will allow me to run the accounts package on the new laptop ?

Any advise appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you have win 7 pro then you could use xp mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

assuming it doesn't work in 'compatibility mode' then (as AlmightyCushion says) you have the option of XP mode which is basically a windows xp virtual machine running inside your Win7 PC.

another option would be using vmware to run the virtual machine as this would give you the option of running something called 'unity' that allows you to run the application from the vm in a windowless window on your Win7 desktop as if it was running locally, rather than in the VM, similar to the way citrix based applications work.

you have several options anyway, it just depends on how you want to implement it.

How do I run the XP virtual machine mode ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Install this
    http://www.virtualbox.org/
    This allows you to setup virtual PC's on your actual PC.

Create a new virtual PC and install XP on it. Then run your accounts package on that.

Don't be afraid to consult the manual, help files and do your own bit of research. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

chughes wrote: »
    I have an accounts package which I have been using for over 10 years now and it has worked successfully on two successive laptops. The last one uses Windows XP.

I now have a new laptop with Windows 7 and the program won't install on it. Is there some sort of emulation program that will allow me to run the accounts package on the new laptop ?

Any advise appreciated.

Which program is it that you're trying to use?

dnme wrote: »
    Install this
    http://www.virtualbox.org/
    This allows you to setup virtual PC's on your actual PC.

Create a new virtual PC and install XP on it. Then run your accounts package on that.

Don't be afraid to consult the manual, help files and do your own bit of research. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a thank you.
    an xp vm in vmware workstation would be a better option as it would allow him to run the application in unity giving him his accounting app on his own desktop (instead of the vm) in a seamless window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

It seems that any Windows 7 version can get Virtual PC/XP Mode.

I'll have to try this, as I use the ROS offline program, which is bloody volatile on my 64bit W7 Pro. It's forever locking up and losing information that's entered for the various tax forms.:(

Setting compatibility mode doesn't cure the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Compatibility mode doesn't always seem to work. I've had problems with it and time keeping software.

Many thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm using Quicken 98 and I would love to get a newer version but unfortunately Intuit no long seem to develop/support it. The only other one that was any way similar was Microsoft Money but that doesn't seem to exist any longer either.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions outlined in this thread and I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

I'm using Quicken 98 and I would love to get a newer version but unfortunately Intuit no long seem to develop/support it. The only other one that was any way similar was Microsoft Money but that doesn't seem to exist any longer either.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions outlined in this thread and I'll let you know how I get on.
    this might be of use to you: Quitting Quicken -- while keeping old data
    If you can get access to a working Quicken 98, export all your data in Quicken Interchange Format (QIF), which most financial programs can import. All users of financial software should keep extra backups by exporting data in the QIF or OFX (Open Financial Exchange) formats to make it easier to load valuable data into a different program. Quicken's QFX is best avoided.

Windows offers a large number of alternative financial programs that will import QIF, OFX or raw Quicken data. Microsoft Money is particularly good at it, and dominates the UK market. Alternatives include MoneyBox, which is available in a limited free version, and GnuCash, which is free and open source. Paid-for alternatives include Personal Accountz and Tesco Personal Finance. Check the data import features before you buy any of them.
    it's an old article from 2007, but it might set you in the right direction for changing to a new accounts package instead of a lot of messing around with VM's and stuff like that.

good luck anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

MS Money is discontinued, thats right, but Quicken isnt AFAIK http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/deluxe-money-management.jsp

It looks like I have my problem sorted.

Initially I tried to install Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode but because I was running Windows 7 Home Premium, it wouldn't allow me to. I had to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional and then I could install VPC and XPM.

I then was able to install Quicken 98 on this and it seems to be working successfully now.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions.

Advertisement