Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boxer Puppy and 8 Month Old Boxer

• 05-12-2010 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi everyone

First post but longtime reader and I have found the advice given here great. We got a new female boxer puppy yesterday and already have an eight month old male boxer pup since last May. We got her mainly for company for him and because they are such a nice gentle dog. We brought her home yesterday and when the two met he was very excited and kept pawing at her and play biting her and even though she was play biting back with him too we were very worried that he might unintentionally hurt her or that he might be jealous of her. Any advice anyone might have would be really appreciated. Maybe we are just worrying too much but they are both such lovely dogs that we want to make sure we dont make too many mistakes:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

It should be fine they will do that for awhile.We used to have a boxer so did our friend.Everytime they saw each other they used to do this for awhile and we thought they were attcking each other but we later found they were just playing.Male and female will be fine any how,but just keep an eye on them,you'll probably find today they might of calmed down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

This sounds like totally normal behaviour. Your male is still a puppy himself and only wants to play with her - she'll be well able for him once she gets a bit bigger! You will need to keep an eye on the two of them while she is still very small just to be sure he doesn't hurt her. If the play gets a bit too rough, stop them playing until he calms down and then they can resume. Encourage gentle play and good behaviour in general with lots of praise (and maybe a treat!) and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

we need pics :DIve 2 boxers 11.5 and 8?(rescue) and they still paw each other hehe,there not called boxers for nothing:)If the bigger dog hurts your pup they will let ye know with a yelp xx best of luck.If ye get a chance can we see the boxer babe:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nothing wrong there at all, our 14month old boxer plays like this with all other dogs she meets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alijesse

Thanks for all the advice, they are getting on fine now! Maybe we were just a bit too cautious but they did seem to be actually biting each other at times and we were worried she might get hurt:o I will post some pictures over the next few days, they are really cute dogs:p If anyone has any other advice about boxers it would be great as we are still learning but I must say that they are the friendliest and most loveable dogs I have ever come across!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I second that :) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

alijesse wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, they are getting on fine now! Maybe we were just a bit too cautious but they did seem to be actually biting each other at times and we were worried she might get hurt:o I will post some pictures over the next few days, they are really cute dogs:p If anyone has any other advice about boxers it would be great as we are still learning but I must say that they are the friendliest and most loveable dogs I have ever come across!

Gas masks as they get older!!!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dont worry, they will both let each other know when its too much or if one is being too much for the other.
    Ive a 4 year old male rottie (50kg) and a 6 month old female rottie and bitch is well able for the male and will let him know if hes being too much for her and tells her off, although its usually the male telling the young one off for playing too hard.
    If you heard the 2 of them playing you would think they were killing each other but its all in good spirits.

We give ours 2 tins of Sardines a week, wit the Oil, not brine.

Great for there coats and has that Omega 3 bollox, whatever that is!!!

We just mix it in wit some of her Royal Canin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Starlights

I have 4 boxers and they all 'box' eachother!

Like boxerly has said, if he hurts her, she will soon let him and you know!
    Mine play rough with eachother and drag eachother about, grabbing legs..necks etc. People who don't know them, think they are fighting.

Photos pleaseeee :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shell10

oh def try upload some pics!!

i had a boxer for 12 years and he was nothing but the gentlest dog u'd ever come across!!! we had a maltese for a few months before we got him and at the start there was a bit of trouble but the bigger he got the gentler he got wit the maltese!! they were best friends and the maltese is lost since he passed away! hasn't been the same since!! they'll get very attached to each and they'll be great company so don't worry about them ever fightin!!

one thing i will say to you is ai highly recommend pet insurance as boxers are prone to cancer and nearly all of them get it !!

be aware of lumps on there body and make sure u get them checked straight away! but most of them are just small procedures! just somethin to be aware of as they grow bigger and older!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alijesse

Thanks again for all of the advice. We've already realised that gas masks are obligatory sometimes:rolleyes: but it is definitely worth it smells and all!!! They are getting on really well now but you would really think they were fighting sometimes if you didnt know better, I think that not knowing that they would react like that was what worried us in the start.

I know that boxers are very prone to cancer and heart problems too I've heard, to my shame I hav'nt yet gotten insurance for either of them...probably because they are so young we don't want to think about it but we know it has to be done...any advice on that front???

I've tried to upload some pics but it keeps saying service unavailable so if anyone could tell me what to do I'd really appreciate it cause ye have to see them, they are really cute dogs;)

alijesse wrote: »
    Thanks again for all of the advice. We've already realised that gas masks are obligatory sometimes:rolleyes: but it is definitely worth it smells and all!!! They are getting on really well now but you would really think they were fighting sometimes if you didnt know better, I think that not knowing that they would react like that was what worried us in the start.

I know that boxers are very prone to cancer and heart problems too I've heard, to my shame I hav'nt yet gotten insurance for either of them...probably because they are so young we don't want to think about it but we know it has to be done...any advice on that front???

I've tried to upload some pics but it keeps saying service unavailable so if anyone could tell me what to do I'd really appreciate it cause ye have to see them, they are really cute dogs;)

We use Allianz for our boxer, and they're NEVER too young for it, if something happens it could cost you hundreds.
    I think we pay 27 a month, that's standard for an IKC registered boxer i think.

As for pics, just go to photobucket, open an account, takes a second, upload them there, then paste the image code in a post here, job done, and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shell10

for the insurance its better to get it sonner rather then later because if somethin happens when u don't have it the insurance place won't insure u if they diganose a problem!

Advertisement