Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas food shopping

Options
  • 06-12-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Do you do all of your christmas food shopping at once, or do you spread it over a few weekly shops? Is your Christmas shop hugely different from your normal weekly shop? Do you write a christmas shopping list?

This is my first year "doing" Christmas instead of going home to my parents. We have no plans for any parties, but I'd like to be able to cope if people arrive last minute, you know, to be able to feed them and have a drink or two. Here is my list. Am I missing anything obvious?

Drinks
    4 bottles red wine
    3 bottles white wine
    1 bottle pink sparkling wine
    1 bottle sparkling wine
    2 bottles non alcoholic
    Crate beer
    Bottle rum
    Bottle Vodka
    2 Bottles coke
    2 Bottles 7up
    2 Cartons Orange Juice
    1 Carton cranberry
    4 L Milk
    Tea-bags
    Coffee (for machine)
    Bottled water

Fruit and Veg
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Carrots
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Herbs - sage, thyme, parsley,
    rosemary, basil, garlic
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lemons[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Limes[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lettuce - mixed bag
    Mushrooms
    Onions - large
    Onions - spring
    Oranges - mandarin
    Parsnips
    Potatoes
    [/FONT]
    Grapes
    Frozen Raspberries
    Tomato

Snacks
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]Cheese board
    Crckers
    Crisps

Nuts

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Groceries[/FONT]
    Bread
    Butter
    Fresh Cream
    Double Cream
    Sour Cream
    Triffle Mix packet
    Eggs
    Baking foil
    Kitchen Roll
    Gravy Mix
    Mustard
    Olive oil
    Cranberry sauce
    Sugar
    Lasagne pack x2
    Coleslaw
    Ready stuffed mushrooms
    Fresh Croquettes

Meat
    Crown of Turkey
    Small ham
    Fillets Salmon
    Bacon
    Pudding
    Sausages
    Quorn roast
    Quorn Mince
    Tuna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Well done - a very impressive list. I would all jus roll vol au vents - great for left overs i.e. turkey and mushrooms with sauce - YUM!

cannot wait to do my food shopping. It's gonna be epic!

Loving your list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I do my Christmas food shopping over a number of weeks. This way I can keep an eye on my budget and make sure I don't forget anything. Started the shopping today. Got most of the wine and some of the snacks. Also bought things like tin foil, parchment paper and some of the boxes of sweets that I will give to neighbours.

Very good list op!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

think I'll end up "borrowing" your shopping list!:o

have stuff like tins of biccies and chocs and I'd say we've enough drink.
    collecting the turkey on christmas eve and will get all fresh foods (veg etc) that morning.

I'm getting hungry looking at that list!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:eek: I had no chocolate on the list.

I went to get some things today, but ended up with christmas crackers. and nothing else. I panicked :D. Will have to bring my husband along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

why do you need 4 litres of milk unless you have a massive family that eats loads of cereal. THe shops are open Christmas eve and also Stephens day or day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Dips for the crisps! :pac: :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

And a Paaaaartridge in a peaaaaaaaaaar treeeeeee! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

good list. i'd get relish or mayo for the crackers. there's only so much cranberry you can eat!

why do you need 4 litres of milk unless you have a massive family that eats loads of cereal. THe shops are open Christmas eve and also Stephens day or day after.
    This is a very good point. We go through a pint of milk a week, I don't really drink it at all, husband only in tea. I was thinking of so much for cooking, sauces etc, but 4l is a bit excessive.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    And a Paaaaartridge in a peaaaaaaaaaar treeeeeee! :D
    picture.php?albumid=1146&pictureid=8064

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Big box of Xmas tayto?

Good list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

a bag of ice cubes if you want to save yourself the hassle of making them or in case you forgot to make them :D

Redpunto wrote: »
    Big box of Xmas tayto?
    Thanks, yes good idea.
    piskins72 wrote: »
    a bag of ice cubes if you want to save yourself the hassle of making them or in case you forgot to make them :D
    I bought heart shaped ice cube bags a few months ago. I'll fill them up right now so I have them made and all. Then I can be suitably tacky with my love heart ice. :D

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks, yes good idea.

I bought heart shaped ice cube bags a few months ago. I'll fill them up right now so I have them made and all. Then I can be suitably tacky with my love heart ice. :D

ahh cute!! where did you get them???? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi op your list looks great, just wondering if you are planning on doing stuffing as you didnt mention sausage meat or bread crumbs. Also are you planning on having irish coffees or hot ones in which case you would need a bottle of whiskey and cloves. I always get a few bits of frozen party food just in case anyone turns up last minute I got a large indian selection last year went down a treat and got me out of a hole!!

piskins72 wrote: »
    ahh cute!! where did you get them???? :D
    Lidl - I was in buying drink for my hen night and saw them. I ended up forgetting to fill them and we had normal boring cubes. :rolleyes:
    astra2000 wrote: »
    Hi op your list looks great, just wondering if you are planning on doing stuffing as you didnt mention sausage meat or bread crumbs. Also are you planning on having irish coffees or hot ones in which case you would need a bottle of whiskey and cloves. I always get a few bits of frozen party food just in case anyone turns up last minute I got a large indian selection last year went down a treat and got me out of a hole!!

Oh my god I never thought of stuffing. I think I will buy a pack where you add water, is there a huge difference? I don't eat it myself so I wouldn't have a clue. What would you recommend?

Ah yes whiskey - I have a bottle here and believe it or not, I have frozen indian bites too. Although I think you're right, a few bits in the freezer wouldn't hurt. Again not sure what would be best to get. I'm so bad at all of this. :(

Lidl - I was in buying drink for my hen night and saw them. I ended up forgetting to fill them and we had normal boring cubes. :rolleyes:

Oh my god I never thought of stuffing. I think I will buy a pack where you add water, is there a huge difference? I don't eat it myself so I wouldn't have a clue. What would you recommend?

Ah yes whiskey - I have a bottle here and believe it or not, I have frozen indian bites too. Although I think you're right, a few bits in the freezer wouldn't hurt. Again not sure what would be best to get. I'm so bad at all of this. :(

I must look!!

Stuffing, my mother in law does a lovely stuffing recipe! she uses breadcrumbs and some of the packet stuff mixed, onion chopped, parsley and the difference with her recipe is that she uses margarine instead of butter. basically mix the dry stuff in a bowl together and then rub in the margarine to the mixture, its easier if you cut the margarine into cubes and also disposable gloves prevent your hands getting all messed up with the mixture!

Lidl and Aldi do a massive selection of party foods so perhaps try there?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭woolyhat

Do you do all of your christmas food shopping at once, or do you spread it over a few weekly shops? Is your Christmas shop hugely different from your normal weekly shop? Do you write a christmas shopping list?

This is my first year "doing" Christmas instead of going home to my parents. We have no plans for any parties, but I'd like to be able to cope if people arrive last minute, you know, to be able to feed them and have a drink or two. Here is my list. Am I missing anything obvious?

Drinks
    4 bottles red wine
    3 bottles white wine
    1 bottle pink sparkling wine
    1 bottle sparkling wine
    2 bottles non alcoholic
    Crate beer
    Bottle rum
    Bottle Vodka
    2 Bottles coke
    2 Bottles 7up
    2 Cartons Orange Juice
    1 Carton cranberry
    4 L Milk
    Tea-bags
    Coffee (for machine)
    Bottled water

Fruit and Veg
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Carrots
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Herbs - sage, thyme, parsley,
    rosemary, basil, garlic
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lemons[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Limes[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lettuce - mixed bag
    Mushrooms
    Onions - large
    Onions - spring
    Oranges - mandarin
    Parsnips
    Potatoes
    [/FONT]
    Grapes
    Frozen Raspberries
    Tomato

Snacks
    Cheese board
    Crckers
    Crisps

Nuts

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Groceries[/FONT]
    Bread
    Butter
    Fresh Cream
    Double Cream
    Sour Cream
    Triffle Mix packet
    Eggs
    Baking foil
    Kitchen Roll
    Gravy Mix
    Mustard
    Olive oil
    Cranberry sauce
    Sugar
    Lasagne pack x2
    Coleslaw
    Ready stuffed mushrooms
    Fresh Croquettes

Meat
    Crown of Turkey
    Small ham
    Fillets Salmon
    Bacon
    Pudding
    Sausages
    Quorn roast
    Quorn Mince
    Tuna

Great list Don't forget the Christmas Pudding and the Birds custard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Please please dont buy paxo, rank:P. Stuffing is easy to make, but if you would rather dunnes have one in the meat aisle which is nice I always add sausage meat to it though. Some butcers sell it too and aldi do a nice one too.
    As for the frozen food anything, spring rolls, cocktail sausages, chicken wings, indian/chinese bits Lidl have a good selection and its handy if you get suprise guests and they will last in the freezer if you dont need them. I think aldi are doing a large indian platter too I found the iceland one worked out cheaper than a lot of the little boxes of the others.
    Dont forget cloves and lemon for whiskey.
    I am getting out my notebook and pen now to take down your list:)

haha I wont get paxo. I would like to get one without meat in it so I can have a bit too. Although I'm sure it wouldn't be too much bother to make a bit of both.

It seems I've forgotten a fair few things! Cloves is another important one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

don't know about anyone else but brown sauce is essential to me for when I'm snacking on ham sandwiches Christmas night!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

instead of buying bags of ice, just start filling up your trays a few days before Chrismas and emptying them into a bowl or a bag in the freezer - we have a couple of those chrissmassy silicon trays (snowman and xmas trees) and we start making the ice cubes a few days beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Also buy a couple of bottles of diet mixers - a lot of people stick to those with spirits as a way to control their 'alcohol calorie' intake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Great list OP, this is my granny's recipe for stuffing, while it may look/sound horrible, it actually tastes really good. She's been making it this way for 60years and never once had a complaint/bad comment.:)

1) Make breadcrumbs

2) Warm milk & melt butter (in same saucepan/pot). Just a small amount to keep the mixture moist, but not saturated.

3) Put Potatoes (Mashed potatoes), chopped onion (optional), chopped scallion, chopped parsley, salt & pepper, breadcrumbs, mix together & then pour in warm milk and melted butter.

4) Put into the turkey (make sure the turkey is throughly washed out). If you don't want to put it into the turkey, put it into some tinfoil and into a pyrex dish and into the over. (we have a fan oven and put in at 150degrees for about 1hour), though according to my granny it tastes nicer if put into the turkey.

This recipe/cooking method makes enough for 3 adults (and we usually get two dinners out of it, but we only eat smalls amounts each).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

magentas wrote: »
    don't know about anyone else but brown sauce is essential to me for when I'm snacking on ham sandwiches Christmas night!:o
    YR sauce with ham sandwiches,beautiful on christmas night after a few cans of lager!

dartbhoy wrote: »
    YR sauce with ham sandwiches,beautiful on christmas night after a few cans of lager!

yuck...

Chef FTW :D

I'm going to do my big mega shop on Sunday! Can't wait. Going to start my list tomorrow :)

I'm going to do my big mega shop on Sunday! Can't wait. Going to start my list tomorrow :)

Will you get your fresh veg then too? I'm worried about timing my shop, should I go get everything this weekend then get the veg 2 or 3 days bforehand or will they keep for a 5 days? I usually buy my veg on the day I eat it so I'm a bit clueless. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My advice would be to leave the veg until the last possible moment - especially sprouts, because they go yellow pretty quickly. Turnips can be bought ahead, and spuds, parsnips SHOULD have some fridge time before cooking (frost brings out their sweetness more) and carrots are ok for a few days - but anything green should be bought as late as possible.

Having said that, I just looked at the weather forecast, and am hoping I can actually GET to a shop at the right time, else it'll be frozen veggies, so long as the power holds up! The joys of rural living, eh?

thanks darkginger
    Darkginger wrote: »
    Having said that, I just looked at the weather forecast, and am hoping I can actually GET to a shop at the right time, else it'll be frozen veggies, so long as the power holds up! The joys of rural living, eh?
    Yep I know what you mean. Might end up trekking to the local spar for the christmas dinner. :D

• Advertisement

Will you get your fresh veg then too? I'm worried about timing my shop, should I go get everything this weekend then get the veg 2 or 3 days bforehand or will they keep for a 5 days? I usually buy my veg on the day I eat it so I'm a bit clueless. :o

No, I'll get my fresh stuff probably on Christmas Eve, I'm not doing a christmas dinner so it's not the end of the world if something isn't available. I'll also get a turkey in M&S on Christmas eve, I do this every year ad they reduce them to half price, again, because I don't do Christmas Dinner it's easy for me to leave it until last minute :)

Advertisement