Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geminid Meteor Shower

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Pretty cloudy last night and this morning in Limerick. Hoping for better conditions tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Was out last night for over an hour and seen a few nice bright ones.There definitely weren't as many per minute as the experts were saying ,maybe one every 8-10 minutes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 primenumber

John85 wrote: »
    Was out last night for over an hour and seen a few nice bright ones.There definitely weren't as many per minute as the experts were saying ,maybe one every 8-10 minutes .

to see the 50+ per hr you need to be in fairly dark skies after midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Sky is clear here right now, and has been all day, I hope it will stay this way for tonight. Was very disappointed with all the cloud cover last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

Which way do I need to be looking tonight sky is extremely here right now??from my front door now the moon and Jupiter are right in front so would it be in that direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 nutterguy

I know it's not useful at night but it will give you an idea of whats on the way for our sky tonight.
    http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/EVIEW/SEGMENT4/index.htm
    Just press one of the numbers for animated frames...

At the moment down here in cork we are all clear skys! :-)
    Looking forward to it staying clear tonight unlike last night...

Oh also, Android users, Google Sky Map is your awesome friend for finding exactly where to look. Just type in Castor and use time travel to set the time to midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As you'll know, it was cloudy in Dublin last night, so no joy. When I was getting up this morning, a bit after 7am, I had a look out the window. The sky was clear, Venus and Virgo were on view, and then I saw some meteors. 3 or 4, in just a few minutes. I hadn't much time, so it was good to have seen a few. Then this evening, it was clear earlier and I saw a fabulous one, really bright and long lasting. It's clouded over a bit again now, but maybe later and when the moon has set. There are certainly a few more nights in this, clouds permitting. So keep looking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Hello Seanie, also to the rest of you here

http://www.tvcomm.co.uk/radio/live.html

This is the meteor reflection detection webpage of an English radio ham....G7IZU
    Use this to see if the rate is increasing, its quite good...
    Happy hunting.....Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Very much dependent on conditions in your area.

we saw 15+ meteors in a 15 minute period around 10:30 last night

also saw 3 this morning in less than 5 minutes around 6.20am

cloudy tonight :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

For once a bit of luck, cloudy everywhere except sections to the East and South, was only out for less that 10 minutes and saw 4, one quite impressive one! It's so quick, blink and its gone! I'm in the countryside so it's good viewing, very impressed...

EDIT: I went out again about 00:30, very clear sky, I saw about 20 in the space of 30 minutes, looking S/SE/E. Most seemed to appear SE. Is it just me/coincidence that you wait a few minutes to see one, then when it comes you see one or two more in quick succession? Just a little trend I noticed, would loved to have stayed out longer but it got so cold and I was annoying the dog trying to sleep in the kennel!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Seen 5 within a couple of minutes last night, but they were blink and you miss them.

Went out just past Cork aiport and saw quite a few, maybe 15-20 in an hour. No photos though... :-(

Advertisement