Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Night Stand: Gay In Bray!!!!

• 06-12-2010 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Anyone else see that crap? It actually was so bad it was funny! The 3 guys looking for dates saying they were masculine!!!! And looking for masculine guys because they're not into campiness!!!

And then there were the potential dates!!!

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1086203

Don't bother going see Jackass 3D, this works just as good....if not better!

Ming!!!!!! EWWWWW!!!!!

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Bray of all places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was dire - I watched 2 minutes and switched off - oh and no slagging of Bray will be allowed by this mod :-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm from Bray so can I slag it off lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i got 7 minutes into it if even, had to turn it off, god awful
    i've never cringed as much in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

That was pretty awkward to watch. The tall blonde guy was hilarious " I'm a dickhead and that's why I didn't get through".:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    oh and no slagging of Bray will be allowed by this mod :-)
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭daveo90

Ha! again tv makes gay people out to be a pack of weirdo losers with limp wrist and ""Good Fashion taste"".

No wonder it's so hard for people to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

There was only one guy who was actually from Bray so we can at least leave Bray alone for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

My brother txt'd me when this was on tv last week and I knew not to turn it on as it would be rubbish, but now I think its over to rte player with me to see this mess lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

daveo90 wrote: »
    Ha! again tv makes gay people out to be a pack of weirdo losers with limp wrist and ""Good Fashion taste"".

No wonder it's so hard for people to come out.
    I don't think it's that fair. The shows only entertainment value is in people making a fool of themselves so even in the straight episodes the producers do their best to make people come across weird.

Also not all the people in the episode were as you described and it's not like the producers had a large amount of people to choose from, I'm pretty sure everyone who applied got on because there was less people than in the other episode. It would be hard enough to convince anyone to go on this show so by narrowing it down to gay people your obviously going to limited.

Even if they did decide they wanted the campest gay people they could find(I don't believe they did) well so what?
    They are under no obligation to represent gay people how you want gay people to come across like. The same way if they wanted only straight nerdy acting guys thats really up to them. It's not like camp guys are doing you a disservice in fact I'd say your attitude of calling them limp wrist weirdos is the one that needs to be done away with.

It would be like giving an Irish person grief for daring to have a drink because they are just strengthening a stereotype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Rick_

Can't watch it in the North, it's blocked out to us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mkill08

Sugarhigh-They are perpetuating a stereotype that gay men are inherently camp and while camp gays themselves obviously do not harm other gay guys, the stereotype can harm gay people who aren't camp and feel they must conform to the camp gay stereotype. If you look at some of the other threads like 'Faghags' you have gay guys complaining that women see us as shopping buddies and if we don't enjoy being an accessory then we are 'straight acting'-an issue I have come across on some other gay forums as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lionchild

think i'm gonna go get a man tan, cut and dye my hair so i look like a toilet brush, then pop into river island for a purple cardigan!

but you know what the worst thing about going into river island is?......coming out to your parents!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mkill08 wrote: »
    Sugarhigh-They are perpetuating a stereotype that gay men are inherently camp and while camp gays themselves obviously do not harm other gay guys, the stereotype can harm gay people who aren't camp and feel they must conform to the camp gay stereotype. If you look at some of the other threads like 'Faghags' you have gay guys complaining that women see us as shopping buddies and if we don't enjoy being an accessory then we are 'straight acting'-an issue I have come across on some other gay forums as well.

As much as camp is not my thing, you're misrepresenting the show. There were non-camp guys in the final 6 and there were some people you would not automatically identify as gay as well as the camp type that you could spot from 20 ft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭LGiamani

Stephen (blonde guy) is sex on legs no doubt. I could eat him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

lionchild wrote: »
    think i'm gonna go get a man tan, cut and dye my hair so i look like a toilet brush, then pop into river island for a purple cardigan!
    Bejaysus.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I didn't watch this particular episode so can't comment on what was shown but I think it's unfair to say that because the contestants looked, acted or simply came across a certain way, that they represent all gay people. I had the misfortune to watch the godawful Limerick episode a few weeks ago and for that episode, straight men and women could have complained about how they were portrayed based on the way the contenstants were carrying on. The guys being thick as planks with their brains in their balls, the girls tarting it up in total slapper get up etc. You don't see straight guys and girls complaining about misrepresentation so why should gay audiences?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Masculine are they taken the piss !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ongarboy wrote: »
    I didn't watch this particular episode so can't comment on what was shown but I think it's unfair to say that because the contestants looked, acted or simply came across a certain way, that they represent all gay people. I had the misfortune to watch the godawful Limerick episode a few weeks ago and for that episode, straight men and women could have complained about how they were portrayed based on the way the contenstants were carrying on. The guys being thick as planks with their brains in their balls, the girls tarting it up in total slapper get up etc. You don't see straight guys and girls complaining about misrepresentation so why should gay audiences?? :confused:
    I don't buy the argument that because straight people don't complain about stereotyping or misrepresentation that gay people shouldn't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alcof89

SugarHigh wrote: »
    That was pretty awkward to watch. The tall blonde guy was hilarious " I'm a dickhead and that's why I didn't get through".:D

that was me lol - most of us went on to get pissed (we got free drink) and i got a free 3 course meal! why wouldnt you do it? we had a ball!

Nobody went on dates from the show; so it was just purely for a laugh! lighten up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Barna77 wrote: »
    Bray of all places

OMG IT RHYMES!! What a coincidence! :pac:

Presumably, "Gay on Borris-in-Ossory" wouldn't have sounded as good on a promo.
    lionchild wrote: »

but you know what the worst thing about going into river island is?......coming out to your parents!!!

I like River Island.

(I did laugh at the joke though! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lionchild

OMG IT RHYMES!! What a coincidence! :pac:

Presumably, "Gay on Borris-in-Ossory" wouldn't have sounded as good on a promo.

I like River Island.

(I did laugh at the joke though! :D)

hey, in the words of homer simpson, it's funny cos it's true!:pac:

Advertisement