Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving christmas gifts to a Muslim?

• 06-12-2010 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Is it acceptable to give christmas gifts to a Muslim? Just some chocolate and harry potter books to a child.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What is the context of relationship between you and the child? Religion aside that would probably be important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

grizzly wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to give christmas gifts to a Muslim? Just some chocolate and harry potter books to a child.

For the majority of Muslims this would be ok... perhaps you need to check with the parents first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Is it acceptable for a Muslim to give an Eid gift to you?

It is not going to offend anyone but doesn't really make sense as we don't celebrate Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

mmalaka wrote: »
    For the majority of Muslims this would be ok...

Wouldn't the chocolates have to be Halal? Also is Harry Potter OK?

Hobbes wrote: »
    Wouldn't the chocolates have to be Halal? Also is Harry Potter OK?

Yes, I think Harry Potter could be a bit dodgy. I have never read or watched any of the movies so probably not the best person to comment on it but I have heard many people say the stories are unislamic. All depends on how strict the parents are to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Hobbes wrote: »
    What is the context of relationship between you and the child? Religion aside that would probably be important.

It's a friend who's always buys gifts for his employees children at the end of the year – the gifts don't have a "Christian" theme.
    Is it acceptable for a Muslim to give an Eid gift to you?

It is not going to offend anyone but doesn't really make sense as we don't celebrate Christmas.

He has other employees of different/no faiths, but I this case I thought it would be best to check if this would cause some offense.

Thanks for your replies, asking the parent is probably the best way to go of course, I thought it would be good to do some background research first.

It's a friend who's always buys gifts for his employees children at the end of the year – the gifts don't have a "Christian" theme.

In that case I think it would be fine to give a gift. Just not a Harry Potter book though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I imagine it would entirely depend on the Muslim in question. Certainly, my wife when back home gives gifts to her Muslim friends who call around at Christmas, as she would do to her Buddhist extended family (her immediate family converted).

As an atheist, I lock myself in a room with Hitchens and Dawkins books for the day and say "bah humbug" a lot. (The last sentence may be untrue.)

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks for the replies. He got Halal sweets instead replaced the Harry Potter book with a colouring book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Yes, I think Harry Potter could be a bit dodgy. I have never read or watched any of the movies so probably not the best person to comment on it but I have heard many people say the stories are unislamic. All depends on how strict the parents are to be honest.

Ha thanks for that, i never knew that Harry Potter had an anti islamic agenda. Get over yourself will ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hang on here....I'm muslim and I read harry potter. What exactly is un-islamic about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Jaafa wrote: »
    Hang on here....I'm muslim and I read harry potter. What exactly is un-islamic about it?

I suspect that it's the same sort of argument that claims Harry Potter is unchristian - see for example this comment from an Irish Presbyterian minister. He argues that (a) Harry Potter is about magic, in a way that could suggest to children that magic is an integral part of our reality, and (b) the books suggest that Harry Potter can "win" through his own endeavours without having to rely on God.

From an Islamic viewpoint, therefore, it could be claimed that the Harry Potter books contradict the basic principle of submission to God in all things, setting Harry Potter up as "god-like" in terms of his powers, and hence the books commit the sin of shirk (associating partners with God), the worst sin that a Muslim can commit. However, this is almost certainly reading much more into the books than the author intended, and it's interesting that websites that claim Harry Potter to be anti-religious tend to state that adults aren't fooled, but that children might be, and hence the books' danger lies in the possibility that some children will think that Harry Potter is equal to God.

hivizman wrote: »
    I suspect that it's the same sort of argument that claims Harry Potter is unchristian - see for example this comment from an Irish Presbyterian minister. He argues that (a) Harry Potter is about magic, in a way that could suggest to children that magic is an integral part of our reality, and (b) the books suggest that Harry Potter can "win" through his own endeavours without having to rely on God.

From an Islamic viewpoint, therefore, it could be claimed that the Harry Potter books contradict the basic principle of submission to God in all things, setting Harry Potter up as "god-like" in terms of his powers, and hence the books commit the sin of shirk (associating partners with God), the worst sin that a Muslim can commit. However, this is almost certainly reading much more into the books than the author intended, and it's interesting that websites that claim Harry Potter to be anti-religious tend to state that adults aren't fooled, but that children might be, and hence the books' danger lies in the possibility that some children will think that Harry Potter is equal to God.

I see you point but I think anyone who is old enough to understand the story line of harry potter is old enough to distinguish it from reality and fantasy.

Really I don't believe the thought of religion even enters ones mind when reading harry potter. Claiming other wise is knit picking I think.

I see you point but I think anyone who is old enough to understand the story line of harry potter is old enough to distinguish it from reality and fantasy.

Really I don't believe the thought of religion even enters ones mind when reading harry potter. Claiming other wise is knit picking I think.

Well if people are mentioning it then it is obviously a problem for some Muslims. I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies though so I can't really comment.

Well if people are mentioning it then it is obviously a problem for some Muslims. I haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies though so I can't really comment.

Ah well the movies are a different matter. They do include a fair amount of violence and some sexual themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

Ah well the movies are a different matter. They do include a fair amount of violence and some sexual themes.

Muslims are looking for a higher goal :)
    They seek God, to be pleased with them

"There are two blessings in which people are cheated: health and leisure time." [Sahih Al-Bukhari, Book 81, Chapter 1, Hadith No. 6412, p. 1232.]

Their time is better to be used to acheive their goal :P

http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I gave my Muslim neighbour a Christmas card today,he smiled.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I wished a customer in a Hijab a happy Christmas in work the other week. Actually come to think of it, she said it to me first!

I'm agnostic and I love receiving Christmas presents, but that's just because I've grown up in a culture that celebrates Christmas. I'd be touched and flattered if a Muslim friend got me an Eid present, it would show thoughtfulness and a desire to share their culture with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Plenty of people have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy, particularly when it comes to books.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Plenty of people have trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy, particularly when it comes to books.

MrP

Well if they still do it after they stopped reading the book then they are probably not mentally sound. Which has nothing to do with their religious belief or this topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement