Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good monitor for 360?

• 06-12-2010 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a monitor for pc/xbox use. Do any of you do this? If so, can I get some advice?

What size is decent? Would 19 inch be big enough?
    Any other factors to cost?
    What's the cheapest for a decent monitor these days? :pac:
    1080 doesn't matter to me that much.

Sorry for being clueless and thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

In addition to this question, does anyone know a place to get a cheap xbox - VGA cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Feckfox wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a monitor for pc/xbox use. Do any of you do this? If so, can I get some advice?

What size is decent? Would 19 inch be big enough?
    Any other factors to cost?
    What's the cheapest for a decent monitor these days? :pac:
    1080 doesn't matter to me that much.

Sorry for being clueless and thanks for any help!

I had a 19" LCD initially but upgraded it to a 22". Since you're using it with a PC too, you are probably going to use it at a desk like me. The 19" was fine but I found the 22" to be a much better size. At the two-three foot distance you'll be using it at, it's perfect.

I also bought a desk mounted swivel arm for the LCD in Lidl for €40. This means I can swing the lcd out in front of me, put my feet up and recline back in the chair... very comfy!

Spec to watch out for:

You'll want a HDMI connection for the xbox.

Do you require a monitor or a TV? Are you using external speakers or a headset? This will probably impact on the cost price, TV being more expensive, of course.

Make sure it has a very low refresh rate, 5 ms or so.

Go for a high contrast ratio, otherwise the blacks will just be grey and the picture will never be that impressive. At very minimum 30,000+:1.

Most games are in 720p, a few have come out in 1080p but not that many. However, I'm sure that'll change in the future so get one that's able for 1080p. FYI, 720p will give you a better quality, faster refreshing picture than 1080i.

Did a quick look on komplett.ie for you, as I had no idea what the going rate is for a decent LCD monitor, this year. Make sure to shop around as I reckon there's plenty of bargains to be had. Here's a few links from komplett.ie but make sure to shop around:

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/16_MONITOR/03_MONITOR/productdetails/20063724/IIyama_22_E2271HDS_1_LED_5ms_HDMI_DVI_VGA/E2271HDS_B1/default.aspx

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/16_MONITOR/03_MONITOR/productdetails/20011783/Samsung_SyncMaster_P2270HD_LCD_display_TFT_/LS22EMDKU_EN/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

I had a 19" LCD initially but upgraded it to a 22". Since you're using it with a PC too, you are probably going to use it at a desk like me. The 19" was fine but I found the 22" to be a much better size. At the two-three foot distance you'll be using it at, it's perfect.

I also bought a desk mounted swivel arm for the LCD in Lidl for €40. This means I can swing the lcd out in front of me, put my feet up and recline back in the chair... very comfy!

Spec to watch out for:

You'll want a HDMI connection for the xbox.

Do you require a monitor or a TV? Are you using external speakers or a headset? This will probably impact on the cost price, TV being more expensive, of course.

Make sure it has a very low refresh rate, 5 ms or so.

Go for a high contrast ratio, otherwise the blacks will just be grey and the picture will never be that impressive. At very minimum 30,000+:1.

Most games are in 720p, a few have come out in 1080p but not that many. However, I'm sure that'll change in the future so get one that's able for 1080p. FYI, 720p will give you a better quality, faster refreshing picture than 1080i.

Did a quick look on komplett.ie for you, as I had no idea what the going rate is for a decent LCD monitor, this year. Make sure to shop around as I reckon there's plenty of bargains to be had. Here's a few links from komplett.ie but make sure to shop around:

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/16_MONITOR/03_MONITOR/productdetails/20063724/IIyama_22_E2271HDS_1_LED_5ms_HDMI_DVI_VGA/E2271HDS_B1/default.aspx

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/16_MONITOR/03_MONITOR/productdetails/20011783/Samsung_SyncMaster_P2270HD_LCD_display_TFT_/LS22EMDKU_EN/default.aspx

Thanks! Great post :)

I have been looking myself and found this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2230H-widescreen-Monitor-70000/dp/B0038P9AUU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    Seems to have great reviews!

It says:

"Signal Input: HDMI, DVI-D, VGA"

So I assume it has one slot each? I could put netbook into VGA and Xbox into HDMI? Would this http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291632503&sr=8-1 work or would that give me no sound?

EDIT: From reading the sticky, HDMI cables transfer sound. That monitor has no speakers but I have speakers I cab use.

Thanks! Great post :)

I have been looking myself and found this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B2230H-widescreen-Monitor-70000/dp/B0038P9AUU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    Seems to have great reviews!

It says:

"Signal Input: HDMI, DVI-D, VGA"

So I assume it has one slot each? I could put netbook into VGA and Xbox into HDMI? Would this http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291632503&sr=8-1 work or would that give me no sound?

HDMI cables do carry both picture and sound. However, you are aware that the monitor doesn't have speakers, aren't you???

If you need to have speakers in the LCD then you'll need to buy an LCD TV instead, not a monitor.

Perhaps I just picked you up wrong, if so, I'm sorry. What sound setup do you plan on using?

Just saw you'd edited your post while I was writing my last one. Right, so you've got speakers to use, then you are sorted.

Look into getting a set of headphones for the xbox too. Brings a new element to your gaming and would also mean you could leave you speakers plugged into the PC/laptop all the time without having to change them over every time.

I read on another thread that you can get the Turtle Beach x11's for around €45 now. Well worth it.

• Advertisement

HDMI cables do carry both picture and sound. However, you are aware that the monitor doesn't have speakers, aren't you???

If you need to have speakers in the LCD then you'll need to buy an LCD TV instead, not a monitor.

Perhaps I just picked you up wrong, if so, I'm sorry. What sound setup do you plan on using?

I have speakers, and would be using earphones a good bit of the time too.

My xbox is currently hooked up to a tv (with a component cable cause I never bothered to buy a hdmi cable). I have a netbook with a 10inch screen so I want a monitor to hook it up to, to use at home. (netbook resolution is only 1024x800).

Found another one on dabs.ie
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/viewsonic-vx2239wm-22--1920-x-1080--full-hd-lcd-tft-with-2ms-vga-dvi-d-hdmi-monitor-77T8.html?refs=44600000-4294954635
    Seems good.

I have speakers, and would be using earphones a good bit of the time too.

My xbox is currently hooked up to a tv (with a component cable cause I never bothered to buy a hdmi cable). I have a netbook with a 10inch screen so I want a monitor to hook it up to, to use at home. (netbook resolution is only 1024x800).

Found another one on dabs.ie
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/viewsonic-vx2239wm-22--1920-x-1080--full-hd-lcd-tft-with-2ms-vga-dvi-d-hdmi-monitor-77T8.html?refs=44600000-4294954635
    Seems good.

Seems like a very decent spec, alright. Don't think you could go wrong at that kind of price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Just as a matter of interest how are you planning on using the speakers you have to get sound from the xbox if you go the route of the above monitor

The monitor has hasn't got speakers but you can plug something into it. So either earphones or speakers. I have big, old (but sound great) cd player that has speakers and I have an auxiliary cable that plugs from an earphone jack (don't know the proper name) into the speakers.

I bought a cable for 20e (probably got ripped off). It's an RCA cable. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PNO5VA/ref=asc_df_B002PNO5VA1338417?smid=A1UZH0Q8MMO1YX&tag=nextagusmp0350171-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002PNO5VA

I think you can use this too:
    http://www.amazon.com/3-5-Stereo-Cable-Male-Feet/dp/B002JCOX5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291639773&sr=1-1

Not sure what the difference is.. probably just work with different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭brennarr

Looking for the same thing myself. I'm just wondering if I do buy a HDMI monitor would using the xbox's headphone and mice be good enough for the sound or is it just voices I will hear?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

brennarr wrote: »
    Looking for the same thing myself. I'm just wondering if I do buy a HDMI monitor would using the xbox's headphone and mice be good enough for the sound or is it just voices I will hear?

Cheers

If by the xbox's headphone and mic you mean the live headset that plugs into the controller, this only works for chat audio over XBL, and maybe system link. You will not hear any game sound through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I've my 360 hooked up to a 20" HD monitor, and I've never looked back tbh.
    Not sure about an HDMI cable - it doesn't carry sound either so you'll need a seperate cable for speakers I think, but I bought a VGA cable for the 360 from GAME, and that has a seperate phono audio cable attached.
    Depends what kinda sound setup you want, but the easiest way for me was to buy a phono-to-3.5mm stereo adaptor, and a 3.5mm female-female adaptor for a few quid from Maplin, I can now plug in any standard set of stereo speakers or headphones with no faffing about.

I've my 360 hooked up to a 20" HD monitor, and I've never looked back tbh.
    Not sure about an HDMI cable - it doesn't carry sound either so you'll need a seperate cable for speakers I think, but I bought a VGA cable for the 360 from GAME, and that has a seperate phono audio cable attached.
    Depends what kinda sound setup you want, but the easiest way for me was to buy a phono-to-3.5mm stereo adaptor, and a 3.5mm female-female adaptor for a few quid from Maplin, I can now plug in any standard set of stereo speakers or headphones with no faffing about.

HDMI does carry sound to your TV/monitor and with exceptional quality. However, your TV/monitor will require speakers to play that sound.

If you are going for a separate audio device, like Turtle Beach/Tritton headphones or a surround sound system the you'll need to plug in your standard AV cable in conjunction with the HDMI. The AV cable will give you the ability to use the red/white leads or optical port to connect to a separate audio device. Otherwise, as steel-spine says, use an adapter, that's a good idea for a work-around.

For example, I have a Philips LCD TV connected by HDMI to the console which plays sound out through the TV's speakers. I also have a set of Turtle Beach x4's connected to the console by a fiber optic cable to the port in the AV lead, that's also plugged into the console (I believe the new slim model has the optic port built into the console now!)

This setup allows me to hear sound through both the TV and headphones and it's my choice which to turn down (I never use the TV speakers!)

Finally, on the older consoles it was impossible to fit both the HDMI and AV cables into the console at the same time due to the casing of the AV cable being slightly too wide. This is simply solved by removing the casing and cover the exposed wires with some insulating tape, job done!

Advertisement