Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of transferring

Options
  • 06-12-2010 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Ok so I'm thinking of transferring to UCD next year but I have a few questions. I didn't get the points I needed in my leaving cert to get into UCD but I think I read somewhere or somebody said that I could get into the 2nd year of the same course I'm doing now based on how well I do in my current college. Can I do this? The course I'm doing is computing. Also what is computing/computer science like in UCD like is the class big in the current first year and how much students usually drop out by second year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Fufalumpa wrote: »
    Ok so I'm thinking of transferring to UCD next year but I have a few questions. I didn't get the points I needed in my leaving cert to get into UCD but I think I read somewhere or somebody said that I could get into the 2nd year of the same course I'm doing now based on how well I do in my current college. Can I do this? The course I'm doing is computing. Also what is computing/computer science like in UCD like is the class big in the current first year and how much students usually drop out by second year.

It depends on what college you're in now as far as I'm away. I'm currently in third year and I am aware of some people from NCI in second year and Carlow IT in my year. The NCI guy did two years there and then got into 2nd year here. The Carlow IT guys I think were the same.. though I could be wrong. The best thing to do is probably to contact your college's admin and see if they know of people transferring. They'd probably have the best idea given that they know how UCD and your college interact.

With regards class sizes.. I'm pretty sure there was about 220 in Introduction to Programming I the year I did it. Given this includes Science, Arts and whoever else takes it as an elective.
    I'd say the "Computer Science" class was over 100 but I guess that's my guess. Second year there was about.. 60 maybe? and this year I'd say there is probably 50ish registered to third year but really about 35-40 actually attending and completely assignments.
    From what I hear from 4th years and previous years anywhere from 20-30 people actually graduate every year. Of course, these figures are just what'd guess from my own observations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fufalumpa

Ok cool thanks for the info, appreciate it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

CS now takes in 50 people, and you'll be with those 50 for the degree.

Programming is done on their own now (They're just doing C, intro is doing some mix of C and C++).

You might share a few classes with Engineering later on though, masters in computer engineering has a few programming modules.

Fad wrote: »
    CS now takes in 50 people, and you'll be with those 50 for the degree.

Programming is done on their own now (They're just doing C, intro is doing some mix of C and C++).

You might share a few classes with Engineering later on though, masters in computer engineering has a few programming modules.

unless they've changed the course contents I can't remember ever being shoved in with engineers unless they were taking our modules as electives.

I'm in 1st year in NCI and we're studying java I was talking to the teacher and she said we don't ever study C++ or C since if you can do java you can more less do C or C++ so would what I study in NCI be different to what I'd study if I was in 1st yr in UCD I ask because somebody said I could get into UCD in second year since the course is the same as what I'm studying right now they're all linked or something like that. Also what are electives exactly? There is no mention of them in NCI.

• Advertisement

I'm in 1st year in NCI and we're studying java I was talking to the teacher and she said we don't ever study C++ or C since if you can do java you can more less do C or C++ so would what I study in NCI be different to what I'd study if I was in 1st yr in UCD I ask because somebody said I could get into UCD in second year since the course is the same as what I'm studying right now they're all linked or something like that. Also what are electives exactly? There is no mention of them in NCI.

They're similar, you'd probably have to read a book by yourself to get up to scratch on C / C++ but there is also free grinds available in our support centre so the switch over probably wouldn't be too bad but would take a little more effort from your end.

Elective in UCD are classes you can take which are outside your field of study / degree program. E.g an Arts student can take 1 Computer Science class a semester if they wish or a Law student take a medical class. Stuff like that.

I know of a guy in second year who went to NCI for two years before switching over to second year here. So it is do-able. If I was you I'd go ask UCD / your college what it is you need to do to get accepted into second year here. If you have any more Q's I'll gladly help! :)

TDOie wrote: »
    They're similar, you'd probably have to read a book by yourself to get up to scratch on C / C++ but there is also free grinds available in our support centre so the switch over probably wouldn't be too bad but would take a little more effort from your end.

Elective in UCD are classes you can take which are outside your field of study / degree program. E.g an Arts student can take 1 Computer Science class a semester if they wish or a Law student take a medical class. Stuff like that.

I know of a guy in second year who went to NCI for two years before switching over to second year here. So it is do-able. If I was you I'd go ask UCD / your college what it is you need to do to get accepted into second year here. If you have any more Q's I'll gladly help! :)
    Alright cool thanks really appreciate the help :D just one question though when you say he went to NCI for two years do you mean he would've been going into his third year in NCI yet chose to go for second year in UCD

Alright cool thanks really appreciate the help :D just one question though when you say he went to NCI for two years do you mean he would've been going into his third year in NCI yet chose to go for second year in UCD

Yes, as far as I am aware he did two years in NCI and then came here. I'd check with your admin. They'd know how hard / easy and how long it takes to transfer better than anyone else as they've seen this all before and know the in's and out's of it.

Advertisement