Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*** Spoiler Thread*** UFC 124 St-Pierre vs. Koscheck!!

• 06-12-2010 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Sooo St-Pierre vs. Koscheck at UFC 124 on 11th Dec....

What ye reckon, GSP ever the epitome of the masteclass but put a few euro on the longshot of a Koscheck KO in Rd 2 or 3!

Who ye think will win? Looking forward to the Fight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ministerofwar

GSP will take him down the whole time and at will.His wrestling is a different level to Kos.If Thiago Alves cant knockout GSP Kos wont.He just doesnt have the power or technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Paul16

I think it will go 5 rounds and GSP will get the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

GSP to handle him like a rag-doll again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can't see past a GSP win tbh. Takedowns are a huge strong point of GSP's and I don't think Koscheck will handle them.

But as always I'm open to correction. Hoping for a strong card overall after 123 being so brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kos won't get out of the third

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

No way GSP can lose. Everyone saw from the Ultimate Fighter (although I know they edit the crap out of it) the amount of training he was doing and the top class coaches he was bringing in. He was training and sparring all the time. The guy breathes this.

Kos was busy with his two phones (one for each woman, eh?) :) Maybe he has a bit of magic up his sleeve and will surprise us but I seriously doubt it.

GSP is the best in the UFC at the moment and nobody can touch him in my opinion.

Recon the fight won't last that long either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

never say never in this game my friend, but its gonna be hard to see him losing, lots of dry humping and maybe a kimura victory for gsp late in round 2/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Koscheck won't be dominated by GSP's wrestling. I think it'll be fairly even

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Best Promo Ever..

I think many people are underestimating Kos' wrestling here, I think it'll be fairly back and forth tbh.. Hope Kos pulls off the win though. Would love to hear the whole arena go from chanting "GSP! GSP!" to complete silence in less than 2 seconds..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

I hope GSP does it and most people think he will... but. it just seems like one of those instances were we may get an upset. I think too that Kos wrestling will have been getting a serious working out. I can see him stuffing takedowns at least at the beginning after which I think he may tire. I'd like to see GSP stop him with strikes but there's part of me that sees GSP sprawled out - KOS sitting on the cage and jeering all the haters.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Rhamiel wrote: »
    Who ye think will win?

GSP by UD
    Rhamiel wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Fight?

No, the card is absolutely abysmal. I definitely ain't watching that card. It is probably the worst card which has a title fight that the UFC has ever put on.

unknown13 wrote: »
    No, the card is absolutely abysmal. I definitely ain't watching that card. It is probably the worst card which has a title fight that the UFC has ever put on.

Woah, hold on a second..
    John Howard vs. Thiago Alves: Bound to be some fireworks.
    Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle: Has the opportunity to be a decent fight.
    Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira: Whoever wins this will be one fight away from a shot at the LW Title imo. Maybe 2 for Oliveira.
    Joe Stevenson vs. Mac Danzig: Probably the worst fight on the main card, not excited about this.

On a side note, anyone use PP to bet on UFC events? How do I place an accumulator on this event?

I think I should explain this a bit more

John Howard vs. Thiago Alves: Alves is too good for Howard. Will out strike him very well on way to a wide UD

Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle: Struve will be too much for mc corkle

Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira: Best fight on the card hands down. Picking a winner ain't going to be easy

Joe Stevenson vs. Mac Danzig: Joe Daddy UD

I want Kos to win simply to push GSP to the middleweight division for a showdown with Anderson Silva. Jake "The Wet Blanket" Shields can take the Welterweight championship from Kos after that, I think GSP-Shields is a bout none of us want to see. They'd hand out pillows at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

John Howard vs. Thiago Alves: Alves is too good for Howard. Will out strike him very well on way to a wide UD

Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira: Best fight on the card hands down. Picking a winner ain't going to be easy

Can't disagree with that, although I could maybe see Joe Daddy finishing Danzig. I'd like to see Alves get the KO, but yeah, an easy 30-27 is more likely. I'm a bit worried about Struve going into this. Sure, he should be too much for McCorkle, but as a result of McCorkle's trolling, Struve has said he plans on standing with McCorkle and go for the KO - might not be the best idea.

Kos-GSP could be good. I've fallen for the hype again and think Kos has a decent chance (I gave him none following the Daley fight) in pulling out a Serra-ish win. Still, GSP is just way too complete to lose soundly in this division. Anyone who can stand with him just can't deal with his wrestling (Hardy, Alves) and anyone who *should* be able to deal with his ground game have pretty average or no striking ability (Kos, Shields, Fitch). If only BJ was bigger :P

I don't know, I don't really see it going to a decision.. Alves will win 9 times out of 10 but Howard does have that dangerous power.
    I don't think I've seen enough of McCorkle to make that decision, struve isn't a great fighter in my opinion.
    Definitely agree there, Oliveira looks like a good prospect but I can see Miller winning a boring one-sided UD. I hope not though.
    Once again, definitely agree, not worth a televised spot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

not to sure who has the better wrestling prob GSP, what should win gsp the fight is the fact he is better at mixing it up between stricking and takedowns, hope gsp can get the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DJKendo

GSP in a humpfest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Just hope Kos takes GSP down see how he deals,
    Kos promo vid looks great till you rewatch the Daly fight and see him do all
    but no damage and hold position for 3 rounds.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

GSP is too big and strong for Kos. His striking is too good and he's too smart a fighter to fall for anything Kos can throw at him. Of course this is MMA and anything can happen but I cant see Kos having the power to catch GSP in a single knockout blow.

I hope its not a "humpfest" but we'll see... I think it will be GSP by UD but I would love to see him win by RNC :)

DeV.
    (how are Red Team and Phams dick alike? They've all been choked! :) )

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    GSP is too big and strong for Kos. His striking is too good and he's too smart a fighter to fall for anything Kos can throw at him. Of course this is MMA and anything can happen but I cant see Kos having the power to catch GSP in a single knockout blow.

If Matt Serra dropped GSP, so can Kos.

I think this fight could all come down to how the first round goes. With the pressure of this fight in particular, I think a bad first round for either could break them mentally and they won't be able to recover confidence in the subsequent rounds. I know GSP was able to turn it around against BJ first time around, but if he gets tagged a few times by Kos without reply or gets dominated in the wrestling department, I don't think he'll be able to turn the corner. Same goes for Kos. Physical attributes aside, the mental side to this fight is very interesting. To me at least :P

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think they are both mentally very strong. I dont see a big problem for either of them in that dept. I think GSP's training partners seem to be world class and that may make the difference. Kos's ego might be too big for him to take instruction from anyone else while GSP has a much more zen-like quality to him.

I liked GSP's answer to Rogan that he was going to finish Kos and then that would be it for their "rivalry". It was a real "f*ck you, you're nothing to me" response :)

DeV.

Ha, yeah, I liked that too. Just a point on the training partner comparison. AKA definitely has some world class fighters training with Kos, like Cain and Fitch. Cain, Fitch, Swick and Josh Thomson are every bit as world class as the guys at Jackson's, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Mod - edit fighter abuse

No one actually likes Kos but still we have rules on fighter abuse

DeVore wrote: »

I liked GSP's answer to Rogan that he was going to finish Kos and then that would be it for their "rivalry". It was a real "f*ck you, you're nothing to me" response :)

I think it was more, we settle this in the octagon.
    it's been like that with loads of people, Hugues and Serra had a massive rivalry, but it end the second the fight was over. i can't even remember which of them said it, but they patted backs one one said its over now.

If GSP wins, kos its settled for him, if kos wins, GSP gives him he dues

*btw i'm not suggesting if Kos is planning of forget about the rivalry

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Mod - edit fighter abuse

No one actually likes Kos but still we have rules on fighter abuse

I love Josh Koscheck!

now back on topic. AKA is one of the best camps around atm. Jackson's is overpopulated I think. Did anyone watch the ultimate insider where GSP was talking about his careful approach?. He's 29 coming into his prime, he wants to stay healthy and keep his brain healthy for the years to come (on a side note did anyone else notice forrest griffin is really punch drunk? or am I catching the end of that bus?). He also claims to never do strength and conditioning :pac: and only lifts weights to look good. /posting diarrhoea

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Ha, yeah, I liked that too. Just a point on the training partner comparison. AKA definitely has some world class fighters training with Kos, like Cain and Fitch. Cain, Fitch, Swick and Josh Thomson are every bit as world class as the guys at Jackson's, in my opinion.

Sorry but Swick is definitely not World Class. Josh Thompson isn't either but he is definitely a better fighter than Swick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah i also love Koscheck, you should be ashamed of yourself dunkamania. :pac:

Sorry but Swick is definitely not World Class. Josh Thompson isn't either but he is definitely a better fighter than Swick though.

I think Thomson is a world class LW, but its all opinions I suppose. As regards Swick, I don't consider him like top-tier, but what was trying to say was that if all GSP's training partners reach the criteria of being world class, then so do these guys. The only guys training with GSP that I'd truly consider world class would be Evans and Marquardt, maybe Bones Jones at a stretch. If Jardine is considered world class, then so if Swick.

*This is just going off the fighters at Jackson's, I don't know if these were the only guys to train with GSP leading up to this fight.

• Advertisement

LW is stack, world-class isn't given out that easily, ie thomson
    jardine isn't world class, hasn't been at his best for years and was never world class
    Bones is getting there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Is there a primetime or a countdown up for this event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

GSP in round 1. 4/1 is available on this and I have invested accordingly.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    GSP in round 1. 4/1 is available on this and I have invested accordingly.

Boyles are giving 4/1 on GSP to win by points. lump on :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I'll give you 9/2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

i think he'll finish him

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DJKendo

Mellor wrote: »
    I'll give you 9/2

you only offered me 81/50 Mellor!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

DJKendo wrote: »
    you only offered me 81/50 Mellor!! :(

Sure if ya pushed him hard enough he'd give ya 10/1.......but you'd have to pay by paypal and collect winnings in person ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

I personally hope Kos is hospitalised by GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RNO

GSP by sub round 5.
    Both are great cardio and conditioning.
    Kos is the only one to have takedown GSP so far, but the way he's boxing will give GSP a lot of opportunity to take him down. Unless Koschek try to strike like Silva or Machida, I mean counter strike, he will be open for GSP's wrestling shot.
    Great stand up fighter, better than Koscheck, like BJ and Alves could do nothing against him.
    Brillant wrestler like Fitch or Hugues could do nothing against him.

I cant see how Koschek can win, may be if GSP make a mistake, like to finish fight by sub for public.

• Advertisement

Rycn wrote: »
    I personally hope Kos is hospitalised by GSP.

No need for that no matter how much you dislike someone. He's playing a game and selling tickets, some people don't realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Kos seems to be a gimp but at the same time he is making some serious cash for GSP :cool:

When was the last time GSP finished a fight? He dominates the fight but 5 rounds is a lot of time for someone to get of a perfect knockout shot. Really hope he pounds Kos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Whats with all the Kos hate?, I think hes funny.

I think koschecks wrestling will cause alot of problems for GSP and take him out of his comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Koscheck gonna win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I think GSP is due a submission victory so thats what I'll go with. I still have a couple of bucks on Kos to win in round 1 just in case though ;).

I also think McCorkle might gas & Struve will win in the third, Joe Daddy by decision & Alves by KO.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'll give you 9/2

You must have faith he aint gonna win by decision so?

TechnoPool wrote: »
    i think he'll finish him

I'm thinking points, 4 of GSP's last 7 fights have been by decision. I'm going to go all out and say he will win all 5 or 4/5 rounds :D

Doubled him up on points with amir khan to win on points too.

EDIT: knew that was agreat price, just gone into 11/8 now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I have a fiver with betfair on this at 21/1:

To win-
    Howard
    Stevenson
    Oliveira
    McCorkle
    St Pierre

Main one I'm worried about is Howard but I wasn't impressed by Alves in his last fight, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DanielC95

to win

Alves
    Stevenson
    Miller btw want oliveria 2 win but dont think he will
    mccorkle
    st pierre

I'd love to see Oliveira win.. But I'm going with Miller by 3 round UD Humpfest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I know that Kos has acted the total bollox on TUF, but i really really REALLY wanna see him win tonight, just to see the faces of the French Canadians.

They're all GSP's nuthuggers and wouldn't have a clue about the sport if it wasn't for him

• Advertisement
Advertisement