Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading from Iphone

• 06-12-2010 5:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

I have a 3gs at the moment and thinking about going to android. I'd like to get a tablet at some stage and i'm not getting an ipad, so getting an android phone would be good now.

If you were buying and had these choices, which would you choose (and why:D)
    HTC HD2
    HTC HD7
    Samsung i9000 Galaxy S

Is there any others i should be considering?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

well if u want an android phone then the samsung.the other 2 are windows phones.i recommend the HTC Desire HD i just bought 1 and its better than any phone i've ever used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Samsung Galaxy S is amazing. Android of course.

I never had an iPhone but the amount of software available (apps) to download is incredible and I have not had a problem getting anything on it yet - including Office (QuickOffice).

If you want an iPad type there is a new Samsung Galaxy Pad available now, getting great reviews.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/galaxytab/?pid=uk_subbanner1_galaxy_tab_29102010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Senna wrote: »
    I have a 3gs at the moment and thinking about going to android. I'd like to get a tablet at some stage and i'm not getting an ipad, so getting an android phone would be good now.

If you were buying and had these choices, which would you choose (and why:D)
    HTC HD2
    HTC HD7
    Samsung i9000 Galaxy S

Is there any others i should be considering?

I own a Desire HD but would not consider switching from an Iphone to be an upgrade, more of an alternative, id hang on a few months and see whats around the corner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Of those three only the Samsung is an Android.
    At the moment in Ireland I'd imagine the two top phones are Samsung Galaxy S & Desire HD.
    There's also the Desire if you're on a budget.

Having used all three I'm with the Desire HD now.

Both are great phones and you'll be happy with either but the Desire HD seems to be better designed to me. Higher resolution on camera, flash on camera, released with Android 2.2, very solid (get very few force closes on the HD and the performance of the phone is great).
    The major advantage to the Samsung is the screen. It is better if you're holding both phones beside each other. But the Desire HD & Desire screens are both great and you won't have any issue with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

truthfully I wouldn't buy any phone until the start of next year if it can be avoided. With dual core phones just around the corner and with gingerbread "hopefully" being released this week, the current crop of phones could be outdated soon enough, especially the Samsung given how long it took to get a 2.2 update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Can any of the current operating systems harness the potential power of a dual core processor? If not, what's the point?

OP: could you tell us what you like about the iPhone and what you don't? What is your expectation of Android/WP7? It's not a case of one being better than the other, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Brian.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

truthfully I wouldn't buy any phone until the start of next year if it can be avoided. With dual core phones just around the corner and with gingerbread "hopefully" being released this week, the current crop of phones could be outdated soon enough, especially the Samsung given how long it took to get a 2.2 update
    Isn't this always the case? You can keep waiting and waiting because there's always something new and better coming around the corner.

I also doubt that any new phones will quickly make other phones outdated. There wouldn't be many apps that would really need any dual core processors for a long while.
    As to Gingerbread - I'd be very surprised if a phone like the Desire HD doesn't get it. Even if it didn't (unlikely), it'll again be a while before many apps take advantage of it as most people can't keep updating to the latest model. There's still phones running 1.6 out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

truthfully I wouldn't buy any phone until the start of next year if it can be avoided.

What phones will be available at the start of next year?

Normally the way it works is we hear of a new model and then it appears 1 or 2 months laters. So if you want to buy it in the new year we'd have heard of it by now.
    The big models of this year appeared around April - June time and then late in the year. I'd imagine it'd be similar next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

What phones will be available at the start of next year?

Normally the way it works is we hear of a new model and then it appears 1 or 2 months laters. So if you want to buy it in the new year we'd have heard of it by now.
    The big models of this year appeared around April - June time and then late in the year. I'd imagine it'd be similar next year.

well both motorolla (olympus) and LG (star) have tegra2 phones that should hit stores early next year and with CES in January I would expect to see a few more at that point to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

well both motorolla (olympus) and LG (star) have tegra2 phones that should hit stores early next year and with CES in January I would expect to see a few more at that point to

Hope those phones will use some kind of Voodoo to make the battery last more than half a day!

Now that I'm running 2.2 on my SGS I'm very happy with getting a day out of it.

lol remember you could get a week out of a single charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

bd250110 wrote: »

OP: could you tell us what you like about the iPhone and what you don't?

The only thing i really like about the iphone is the huge amounts of apps, and they really make up for a lot of the short comings. The things that bug me are the poor 3g signal, my old n95 would get 3/4 bars lying in bed, but the iphone gets 1/2 bars and drops signal if i move the phone a foot to the left. the slider bar to answer is a balls, cant tell you how many calls i've missed because it wont slide fully on the first (or second) attempt. And i generally hate the restrictive nature of the phone and the itunes interface to add more music/apps/anything etc.
    The iphone is very user friendly and can be picked up in minutes, its a great device if its your first experience of smartphones, but i got bored of it very quickly.

I'll be picking up a tablet in a few months and seen i can upgrade now, i think android is the way to go. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S will be the one, unless someone post that all the gripes i have with the iphone are the exact same on the SGS:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

If you can pick up a desire hd I don't think you'll be disappointed. I got one about a month ago and have hardly put it down I now use it for most of my web browsing, there's plenty of apps and a decent camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 No 7

Kxiii wrote: »
    If you can pick up a desire hd I don't think you'll be disappointed. I got one about a month ago and have hardly put it down I now use it for most of my web browsing, there's plenty of apps and a decent camera.

Hi Kxiii,

I am trying to get my hands on the Desirer HD and from my research it looks amazing, my one fear is the the battery life, can you get a day of moderate use from it comfortable?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No 7 wrote: »
    Hi Kxiii,

I am trying to get my hands on the Desirer HD and from my research it looks amazing, my one fear is the the battery life, can you get a day of moderate use from it comfortable?
    Yes you can, especially if you tweak the settings a little. You should get more than a day to be honest. I got about 36 hours with pretty heavy usage and when I forgot to turn off some features so I reckoned I could have had more. This is after having the phone for a little over two weeks.

In an idle state, with the likes of 3G turned off, etc. I've found you generally get about 1% per hour. You should be able to 3-4 days (of course not much point in having a smart phone in that scenario!).

Senna wrote: »
    The only thing i really like about the iphone is the huge amounts of apps, and they really make up for a lot of the short comings. The things that bug me are the poor 3g signal, my old n95 would get 3/4 bars lying in bed, but the iphone gets 1/2 bars and drops signal if i move the phone a foot to the left. the slider bar to answer is a balls, cant tell you how many calls i've missed because it wont slide fully on the first (or second) attempt. And i generally hate the restrictive nature of the phone and the itunes interface to add more music/apps/anything etc.
    The iphone is very user friendly and can be picked up in minutes, its a great device if its your first experience of smartphones, but i got bored of it very quickly.

I'll be picking up a tablet in a few months and seen i can upgrade now, i think android is the way to go. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S will be the one, unless someone post that all the gripes i have with the iphone are the exact same on the SGS:D

My only complaint on the Samsung Galaxy S is that it has no flash for the camera like my old Nokia 5800.
    But I have a digital camera so it's not a big deal.
    Other than that it's a great phone and you can customise everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 No 7

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes you can, especially if you tweak the settings a little. You should get more than a day to be honest. I got about 36 hours with pretty heavy usage and when I forgot to turn off some features so I reckoned I could have had more. This is after having the phone for a little over two weeks.

In an idle state, with the likes of 3G turned off, etc. I've found you generally get about 1% per hour. You should be able to 3-4 days (of course not much point in having a smart phone in that scenario!).

Good to hear, as long as i get at least a day i will be happy.
    Going to switch to Three from Meteor to get it, they say they will have by this weekend, i doubt it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Have to agree with ixoy no worries getting a day out of a charge and I always have WiFi or 3g switched on with the screen brightness set to auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

hd2 ftw :) the only multi platform phone out there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Went to order a phone today, had decided on the HTC Desire HD, but the woman said o2 dont stock the HD model, so went with the SGS. Hopefuly its as good, i'm sure i'll be back posting as soon as i run into trouble:D

Thanks for the replys.

Both great options as far as I can see. Samsung and HTC have made the same phone at the same time.
    There are 2 great threads on here about the 'Samsung Galaxy S' and also 'Andriod phones' so you shound be fine for upgrades and tips.

• Advertisement
Advertisement