Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when is racism acceptable on boards!!?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm not even sure if this the right place but... here we go...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056102387&page=3

Right, a jokes thread. So by it's very nature. an awful lot more lee-way has to be allowed. Different people find different things funny. Of course, that's the nature of the beast. What one person finds offensive, another finds hilarious, and vice-versa.

I've just gone through all 8 pages. I couldn't be any less 'conservative' tbh, I have a f*cking dark sense of humour and generally think the more alternative the humour the better.

This is not the point. The point is, despite the fact that at least half the jokes are rubbish (which nobody can argue or complain about in fairness, each to their own and all that!) but some of them are actually blatently racist or otherwise 'offensive' (I hate to use that word because I usually like that!). And not even in a "funny" way. Just actually shocking. Especially for somewhere like boards which is generally so well run. There are references to disabilty, child abuse, sexism, anti-semitism, "oirish"ness etc, and of course, the most sensitive subjects are often the funniest. In many cases here the jokes are just really, really crap (which is a matter of taste anyway). Nobody can legitimately object to that. But in other cases the jokes are not just crap but really offensive, not in a good way or funny way but in a borderline illegal way. I've gone through the whole thing and I'm not going to go back to find the exact offenders (among the rest of the just plain, "unfunny", jokes on 'controversial' subjects).

All I'm saying is, keep an eye on it, please. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hi ,

Racism is not, and never will be, tolerated on boards.ie . If you see a post that you consider to be racist please report the post using the report button to bring it to the moderator's attention.

However, as you say, not everyone's sense of humour is goign to be the same so if the post is not removed or edited and you'd like to know why please feel free to POLITELY ask one of the forum mods via Private message and I am sure they will be happy to explain their reasoning to you.

Advertisement