Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots running Schools

Options
  • 06-12-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

The community school my son goes to has been closed all last week due to the weather, that was fine...

A text was sent out to the parents last night saying that the school would be open for 3rd, 5th and 6th year pupils only today and that it would not open until 10:15.... all well and good.... until the pupils that need transport to the school come into the equation!

We rang the bus service who said they had not been inormed that the school would be opening at 10:15 and that they would have to run at normal times....

So this morning, as both my wife and I had to commute to work... our son got the bus at normal time... that no one else got and arrived at the school to find no one there either...???!!!!!

Surely the school should of had some communication with the transport services to let them no of this change of plan and had something worked out?

I can not for the life of me believe how inept the school is, Gorey Community School btw...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bring it up at the next board of management meeting. Find out what that policy and proceedures are and if they don't have any then push for the changes to be made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was your child left waiting outside for the school to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Yes, he has now met 2 friends and has gone for a tesco coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

have seen similar posts in the past and in fairness to the schools it is usually the buses that will not change times, not saying this is the case, but a possibility.
    I think you school is to be commended for at least trying to get the exam years back to school and open as much as they can.

lynski wrote: »
    have seen similar posts in the past and in fairness to the schools it is usually the buses that will not change times, not saying this is the case, but a possibility.
    I think you school is to be commended for at least trying to get the exam years back to school and open as much as they can.

I agree at least there was effort... but there was no communication regarding the transport...

I then recieved a text at 09:15 this morning saying that there were buses available... but not the bus my son required...? They obviously did not know if the buses were running or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Perhaps you might change the title of your thread. They way it is worded is more suited to After Hours IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our text-a-parent went down last night, so the school may well have had the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kristopherus if you have an issue with a post or thread please use the report post function do not back seat mod.

My issue here is with the school and the comminication... or lack of... with the bus service....

My son is now not sure as to whether the bus will be there to take him home...

My wife has rung the school and they stated that they may be open tomorrow but do not know whether the bus will be running... How can this be possible, it is a bloody rural area and the bus service is vital... ESPECIALLY with parents who have to commute to work...

The lack of interest in the administrative staff who answer the fones there is very annoying as there attitude is they don't know so they don't really care either....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

transport to schools is run by the Dept of Transport not Education. The late start was probably to allow all students/staff to get to school safely-

The school - like many others closed last week to ensure that students would be safe.

I'm sure if you read the insurance policy - bet it does not cover snow/ice etc.

My local primary school closed last Thursday & Friday - we do not have any students using public/school bus transport. However -lots of parents were annoyed as they had to pay childcare for the full day - Me thinks this is the real reason most people want the schools open every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Is the bus privately connected with the school .ie its a school bus intended on bringing the kids to that school only

if so then the school should be in contact with the bus service as its provided as part of the schools services,

otherwise its actually up the bus themselves whether they change time or not, they are a seperate entity,a business.
    I would be making a complaint with the bus service instead of the school as they should be thinking of their customers best interests,

Ginger Nut wrote: »
    transport to schools is run by the Dept of Transport not Education. The late start was probably to allow all students/staff to get to school safely-

The school - like many others closed last week to ensure that students would be safe.

I'm sure if you read the insurance policy - bet it does not cover snow/ice etc.

My local primary school closed last Thursday & Friday - we do not have any students using public/school bus transport. However -lots of parents were annoyed as they had to pay childcare for the full day - Me thinks this is the real reason most people want the schools open every day

My issue is not with the school being closed it is the lack of interest in how the children get to and from the school... it is all well and good that they say it is open at 10:15... how do the children get there at this time???

My son had to turn up at a bus stop, hoping that the bus would be there then get to the school 2 hours prior to it open in baltic conditions...!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

Noffles wrote: »
    My issue is not with the school being closed it is the lack of interest in how the children get to and from the school... it is all well and good that they say it is open at 10:15... how do the children get there at this time???

My son had to turn up at a bus stop, hoping that the bus would be there then get to the school 2 hours prior to it open in baltic conditions...!

I agree - not a good situation - If it serves other schools then it would have to go at the usual times. You should contact the principal/parents council/board of management as this cold snap is meant to continue and I'm sure this situation will arise again.

I agree - not a good situation - If it serves other schools then it would have to go at the usual times. You should contact the principal/parents council/board of management as this cold snap is meant to continue and I'm sure this situation will arise again.

We're going to do that in mail once all the weather has cleared up and there's nothing to distract the teachers etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

transport to schools is run by the Dept of Transport not Education. The late start was probably to allow all students/staff to get to school safely

+1
    My wife has rung the school and they stated that they may be open tomorrow but do not know whether the bus will be running... How can this be possible, it is a bloody rural area and the bus service is vital... ESPECIALLY with parents who have to commute to work...

The lack of interest in the administrative staff who answer the fones there is very annoying as there attitude is they don't know so they don't really care either....!!!!

Op, you have no idea what a nightmare schoolbuses are to deal with. Their schedules are set in stone and 99% of the time, schools have to work around them. Whether they are running tomorrow depends on the weather and the drivers, two massive variables. It sounds like the school was trying to do its best not to have students missing school and I find the title of this thread offensive.

If memory serves me correctly, this particular school is one of the biggest in the country, so I'd imagine the admin staff have been flooded with identical calls. They don't know, what do you want them to tell you?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

You are the parent ultimately your child is your responsibility, your son didnt have to turn up at a bus stop hoping the bus would come, you choose to let him, you as a parent are passing the buck by blaming the school. I am a parent too by the way not a teacher, and last week I experienced the same late opening as you did. It was obvious to me that if the buses ran it would be at the normal time and that school was not going to be open until the time stated on the radio. A lot of drivers would not make the decision on wheather they will do the bus run until they hear reports in the morning, some routes would be too dangerous to run.

astra2000 wrote: »
    You are the parent ultimately your child is your responsibility, your son didnt have to turn up at a bus stop hoping the bus would come, you choose to let him, you as a parent are passing the buck by blaming the school. I am a parent too by the way not a teacher, and last week I experienced the same late opening as you did. It was obvious to me that if the buses ran it would be at the normal time and that school was not going to be open until the time stated on the radio. A lot of drivers would not make the decision on wheather they will do the bus run until they hear reports in the morning, some routes would be too dangerous to run.

Yes... BUT, I give responsiblility of the child to the school when we let them take the transport to THE SCHOOL... I am not passing the buck, I am completely reliant on this service as I have to work in Dublin and live in a ****ty rural area...

So what point is a bus service taking a child to shool when it will not open for 2 more hours.....?????

deemark wrote: »
    +1

Op, you have no idea what a nightmare schoolbuses are to deal with.

I beg to differ, I have my son using it everyday??

It sounds like the school was trying to do its best not to have students missing school and I find the title of this thread offensive.

I have already stated they were doing this, what I find "Idiotic" is the lack of communication between the bus and the school.

If memory serves me correctly, this particular school is one of the biggest in the country, so I'd imagine the admin staff have been flooded with identical calls. They don't know, what do you want them to tell you?:rolleyes:

I would like them to tell me when the school is open AND when the bus will be available... is that too much... is it???:eek:

The school transport system is seperate from the school, for instance if your child was been bullied on the school bus you would have to take it up with the dept of transport not the school. The drivers have set times to do these runs that is their working hours some would have other employment or responsibilities after their run is complete and a some of the drivers carry out a primary school bus run after they do the secondary run so it would not be possible to change the route times.
    I live in a rural area and due to schooling times clashing between secondary and national schools I too am reliant on the bus service, but at the end of the day my children are my responsibility and if circumstances dictate change on occasion then I as a parent take responsibility and step up to the mark.

I would like them to tell me when the school is open AND when the bus will be available... is that too much... is it???:eek:

Yes, in these circumstances! They presumably have a text service or will tell the children, but can't make this decision until they know the weather conditions. Schools have a very delicate balancing act to carry out between the health and safety of their students and their education.

It's been explained here a few times that the school and the buses are two different entities. The school does not run the buses!

That school has what, 1500 students? I can't even hazard a guess as to how many buses service that number of students. Seriously, with all the communication and good will in the world, for Mary answering the phone in the school to know when your child will be picked at his stop for his particular bus in unpredictable weather conditions would be impossible!

• Advertisement

Yes, in these circumstances! They presumably have a text service or will tell the children, but can't make this decision until they know the weather conditions. Schools have a very delicate balancing act to carry out between the health and safety of their students and their education.

It's been explained here a few times that the school and the buses are two different entities. The school does not run the buses!

That school has what, 1500 students? I can't even hazard a guess as to how many buses service that number of students. Seriously, with all the communication and good will in the world, for Mary answering the phone in the school to know when your child will be picked at his stop for his particular bus in unpredictable weather conditions would be impossible!

Silly me for thinking that this would happen...

as a parent take responsibility and step up to the mark.

Lol..

"Step up to the mark".....

My wife and I work I Dublin and have to leave early... due to the ****e infrastructure it takes us 90 minutes to travel to Dublin, my son then has to leave a little later to get the bus... please do not preach about marks and stepping up to them... life is difficult enough in this country!

Silly me for thinking that this would happen...

I am unclear here do you believe all the responsibility should be the schools and the dept of transport and you should bear none of it?

I am unclear here do you believe all the responsibility should be the schools and the dept of transport and you should bear none of it?

Erm... I pay the bus service to take my son to school... at the time that the school will be open... I ensure my son is ready and able to get to the bus at the given time... and I would expect the bus to be there for this.. and the school to be open when he arrives?

Ok... but anyway... I'll close this off as it's getting away from my main point and I've changed the subject heading...

My last gripe would be that my son has just rung me to say the bus to take him home has not turned up.... grrrreat!

Lol..

"Step up to the mark".....

My wife and I work I Dublin and have to leave early... due to the ****e infrastructure it takes us 90 minutes to travel to Dublin, my son then has to leave a little later to get the bus... please do not preach about marks and stepping up to them... life is difficult enough in this country!
    As parents we made big changes in our lives when we had kids so that we could parent them effectively so your "poor me" routine gets no sympathy from me. Your passing the buck and trying to blame someone else for your son waiting out in the cold why cant you accept that your dealing with two different sectors here and move on, if this is your biggest problem during this cold spell you got off lightly.

As parents we made big changes in our lives when we had kids so that we could parent them effectively so your "poor me" routine gets no sympathy from me. Your passing the buck and trying to blame someone else for your son waiting out in the cold why cant you accept that your dealing with two different sectors here and move on, if this is your biggest problem during this cold spell you got off lightly.

There's no "poor me" routine... it's the "poor service" that I don't like...

And read previous post you're a tad slow.

Erm, yes.

It is the school's responsibility to liaise with the transport services to make alternative arrangements if possible.

If they couldn't do anything about the bus services then at the very least it was their responsibility to have someone at the school to allow children to wait inside.

It is the school's responsibility to liaise with the transport services to make alternative arrangements if possible.

Oh my god, how many times?!!:eek: It's not a matter of someone ringing up Jimmy the bus-driver and asking him when he might be in!

In a school that size, I'd imagine there's at least 15 buses, directly contracted to the Dept and sub-contacted private buses. The Principal would have to go through the School Transport division to find anything out and that's without taking individual bus driver's willingness to take his/her bus out that morning and/or the state of particular roads and lanes, never mind the other routes and schools these buses might have to service.

School buses are a type of public transport, which despite the name, are not answerable to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just a gentle reminder to keep things civil. If you're taking this personally, don't. It's a general statement. :)

• Advertisement

Oh my god, how many times?!!:eek: It's not a matter of someone ringing up Jimmy the bus-driver and asking him when he might be in!

In a school that size, I'd imagine there's at least 15 buses, directly contracted to the Dept and sub-contacted private buses. The Principal would have to go through the School Transport division to find anything out and that's without taking individual bus driver's willingness to take his/her bus out that morning and/or the state of particular roads and lanes, never mind the other routes and schools these buses might have to service.

School buses are a type of public transport, which despite the name, are not answerable to schools.
    Why don't you quote my whole post?

If the school couldn't do anything about the transportation then they have a duty of care to the children to have someone on the premises to let students wait indoors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement