Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots running Schools

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Since the school could not tell us if the bus was running and if so what time I've had to keep my son home this morning... as yesterday he was 2 hours early with no school open and then there was no bus to pick him up on his return home...

When it is all said and done they may be two separate entities but they are intrinsically linked together and there should be dialogue between them to run smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes it's nincompoopery of the highest order but saying that and knowing how chaotic and badly organised this country is in a crisis, I would not have relied on the bus knowing that they were going to do their normal time pick up and not accommodate the alternate opening time of the school and put my son in a position where he would be standing around in the cold for two hours. I would have kept him home first or gave him money for a taxi [presuming age appropriate].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Noffles wrote: »
    Yes... BUT, I give responsiblility of the child to the school when we let them take the transport to THE SCHOOL.

Doesnt matter when YOU give responsibility to the school, the school is not responsible for the safety of your child unless they are on School property or on a school organised trip, therefore you are responsible for your child getting to school safely. You have still not answered if this bus service is one that the school contrats just to bring pupils to that school or if a public service/used by multiple schools.

My wife is a teacher and as soon as i read the title of this thread i was annoyed, and when i read deeper into it i was even more annoyed, your problem is not with the school, its with the bus company.

Couple of finer points re: responsibility for children and insurance;

1, Child is only insured to be on school property during the standard school day or unless you have given written consent to allow the child to be involved in any out of hours activity.
    2, Until the Child crosses the school gates (and within the parameters above) they are YOUR responsibility
    3, Unless the school explicitly provides a private transport service then it is your responsibility to get your child to school.

Just some food for thought, obviously you are a little confused over what you are saying

innovated wrote: »
    Doesnt matter when YOU give responsibility to the school, the school is not responsible for the safety of your child unless they are on School property or on a school organised trip, therefore you are responsible for your child getting to school safely. You have still not answered if this bus service is one that the school contrats just to bring pupils to that school or if a public service/used by multiple schools.

My wife is a teacher and as soon as i read the title of this thread i was annoyed, and when i read deeper into it i was even more annoyed, your problem is not with the school, its with the bus company.

Couple of finer points re: responsibility for children and insurance;

1, Child is only insured to be on school property during the standard school day or unless you have given written consent to allow the child to be involved in any out of hours activity.
    2, Until the Child crosses the school gates (and within the parameters above) they are YOUR responsibility
    3, Unless the school explicitly provides a private transport service then it is your responsibility to get your child to school.

Just some food for thought, obviously you are a little confused over what you are saying

Nope not confused... this bus takes kids from this area to the one school... simple as that... No other school... just this one school.!!!

And this is School Transport to the SCHOOL!

And how am I confused, my son was brought to school 2 hours early and not able to get in to school...? Then he was not able to get home.... where the **** is the confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Second reminder to be civil. I don't want to ban people, but I bloody will. This thread is heading down a path that it's difficult to return from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I went to that school and from my memory of the school days, we were usually allowed in the back door at the gym? the caretakers were definitely there anyway and they used to let people in.

Just saying that if your child doesn't know the caretakers in the school, they are definitely a worthwhile ally :)

Also, there was 1700 of us when I was there, and I left about 5 years ago.

To be fair, they are usually very well organised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... where the **** is the confusion?

Is the school bus run/managed independently of the school. Because that might explain what happened. The school might have little control over the bus. You'd need to find that out.

If its an independent bus company, they may have other runs later, that they didn't want to let down.

Our school was bit useless. Texting parents just as school opened, hardly any warning if the school was closed or opened. How hard is it to put it on their website so people can look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Why don't you quote my whole post?

If the school couldn't do anything about the transportation then they have a duty of care to the children to have someone on the premises to let students wait indoors.

Because I was focusing on the misconception that the school bus is run by the school. Not having someone there is most likely an insurance issue.
    When it is all said and done they may be two separate entities but they are intrinsically linked together and there should be dialogue between them to run smoothly.

Agreed, there should, but there isn't and it's been this way for decades.
    Nope not confused... this bus takes kids from this area to the one school... simple as that... No other school... just this one school.!!

This is unusual. Most school buses service several primary schools after the first run to a secondary school. Sub-contracted buses can have all sorts of commitments after the school run.

Believe me, I'm no fan of the school bus system and I'm not defending them, just trying to explain to people how it works (or doesn't). I spent many a cold morning and wet evening waiting on a bus that didn't come or left me at school early or late when I was at school myself. In my school, there has been a row ongoing for 10 years, over getting the buses to stop on the same side of the road as the school! That is how bad communication is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

BostonB wrote: »
    Our school was bit useless. Texting parents just as school opened, hardly any warning if the school was closed or opened. How hard is it to put it on their website so people can look it up.

We had to close our school this morning - nobody knew anything about how bad the area around the school was until we got there this morning, and I'm guessing a lot of schools were in the same situation. If schools decide to close before it's actually necessary they get nothing but abuse from parents, so realistically unless the conditions are bad enough the night before, then this doesn't happen. Our area hasn't been badly hit by the weather so even parents said they hadn't counted on this happening this morning.

We had lists ready and each staff member rang parents from their own phone (at this stage it was too dangerous to go past the school gate). We couldn't get into the school to get on the website, and our internet is so unreliable anyway that you couldn't tell parents to check the website at short notice. I've actually updated it from home by now though.

• Advertisement

I don't believe its impossible for someone to check the school area an hour before school and update a website, from anywhere on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't believe its impossible for someone to check the school area an hour before school and update a website, from anywhere on the planet.

I'd agree with you here - if/when it's expected. As I said, we're in an area that has been ok up to now, roads are driveable still. All the parents I spoke to on the phone hadn't sent their kids to school anyway as they'd said they felt it was too icy. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as this yesterday, so it really wasn't expected.

I would have though some immediate notification system would be in place in any school, if theres was some other events, no heating, no water, health alerts if theres an outbreak of something etc. Something that can't wait for the monthly newsletter.

A school website with an update is cheaper and easier... why don't they all use them... and the even better news is I now get to pay 50 quid more for my sons Bus Travel ticket..... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

The community school my son goes to has been closed all last week due to the weather, that was fine...

A text was sent out to the parents last night saying that the school would be open for 3rd, 5th and 6th year pupils only today and that it would not open until 10:15.... all well and good.... until the pupils that need transport to the school come into the equation!

We rang the bus service who said they had not been inormed that the school would be opening at 10:15 and that they would have to run at normal times....

So this morning, as both my wife and I had to commute to work... our son got the bus at normal time... that no one else got and arrived at the school to find no one there either...???!!!!!

Idiot school...Idiot parent! May be a personal attack but so was your slant on the school authorities

Surely the school should of had some communication with the transport services to let them no of this change of plan and had something worked out?

I can not for the life of me believe how inept the school is, Gorey Community School btw...

Idiots running school...more like idiot parent.
    As other posters have pointed out the school in question made an effort to open for exam years when many more schools in the area remained closed. You were informed of the exact day and time the school was opening , but still make a further request for more info...on a website,wtf!!! What more information do you want regarding opening hours/days??
    And in agreement with other posters I can assure you not only would any caretaker worth his salt be there well before opening hours, the Principal/Deputy of any school turn in to work at least an hour before school starts....check your sons story again
    You made the decision to send your son to school, no one else.
    You knew when sending him on the bus the school was not opening.
    Dope

Idiots running school...more like idiot parent.
    As other posters have pointed out the school in question made an effort to open for exam years when many more schools in the area remained closed. You were informed of the exact day and time the school was opening , but still make a further request for more info...on a website,wtf!!! What more information do you want regarding opening hours/days??
    And in agreement with other posters I can assure you not only would any caretaker worth his salt be there well before opening hours, the Principal/Deputy of any school turn in to work at least an hour before school starts....check your sons story again
    You made the decision to send your son to school, no one else.
    You knew when sending him on the bus the school was not opening.
    Dope

You need to check your font....

My issue was that the school and the bus service were not in communication thus he was there too early and eventually there without a bus to take him home, please see further on where I have made some clarity on my gripe.

DO NOT TELL ME TO CHECK MY SONS STORY....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gowayuwilya

You need to check your font....

My issue was that the school and the bus service were not in communication thus he was there too early and eventually there without a bus to take him home, please see further on where I have made some clarity on my gripe.

DO NOT TELL ME TO CHECK MY SONS STORY....
    If to check my font is the best argument you can come up with it shows just how inept you are...never mind the school!!I checked further, unlike yourself I can take and act on information I do not need it to be relayed via text AND a website. DO NOT check your sons story so, Gorey must be the only school in the country where ancillary staff and school management turn up minutes before school starts...you're an even bigger fool than I realised.

If to check my font is the best argument you can come up with it shows just how inept you are...never mind the school!!I checked further, unlike yourself I can take and act on information I do not need it to be relayed via text AND a website. DO NOT check your sons story so, Gorey must be the only school in the country where ancillary staff and school management turn up minutes before school starts...you're an even bigger fool than I realised.

Checking your font an "argument" ?... :rolleyes:

It's clear you can't grasp the notion of this... and I'm loath to repeat it again but since you're keener to call people names than comprehend, I'll dumb it down a little.... whether the school update on what time they are open or not, it is almost irrelevant if the bus service is not in tandem to this... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

gowayuwilya banned for personal abuse.

edit: Actually, this thread is going nowhere. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement