Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Aston Villa MNF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Im a Villa fan, and usually one of the more optimistic ones on here even if I do say so myself but Villa are in terrible form and torn apart by injuries. It sounds as if we may have Herd and Hogg as our starting CMs with Ireland out wide, we have already used the kitchen sink and injured it, if Liverpool fans cant be confident now I dont know when you will be. Things arent all that bad under big bad woy, sure he makes gaffs from time to time and is no tactical genious but compare the two potential teams on paper and his job should not be too hard tonight.

Having said all that I still believe this Villa side are capable of getting a result here but it will take a very big performance especially from defense which is an area that has let Villa down big time considering we have had first choice defenders available its just they have been underperforming.

Dont get me wrong , i am fully confident we will win tonight , ye have a threadbare & inexperienced squad that should be there for the taking. What i was getting at is that this Liverpool team wont be dishing out too many hammerings this season. Unless Torres is on fire tonight i can only see us scraping past ye by the odd goal.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Torres not playing? Nooooooo.

Super Dirk to the rescue hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Who cares if she is having a baby, can't he visit her after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Speedy recovery from Albrighton, hope he doesn't literally bust a gut.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

matrim wrote: »
    Seems Villa's team is

Friedel
    Young Collins Dunne Warnock
    Albrighton Ireland Hogg Clark Downing
    Gabby

And as said, apparently no Torres for Liverpool as his wife is in Labour

Jaysus thats a quick recovery from appendicitus for Albrighton. Very glad to see him and Clark start though. 5 man midfield with Gabby at the front and Ireland just behind him hopefully pulling the strings looks nice too. Combine that news with Torres being out and im getting more optimistic by the minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

niallo27 wrote: »
    Who cares if she is having a baby, can't he visit her after the game

He's no John Barnes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Id like to see Babel get another run up top in place of Torres , cant see it happening though , think Roy will stick Kuyt up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Rumours of Babel and Ngog up front. That'll be interesting if true.

We might, I repeat might, see a performance from Ireland tonight with Young not getting in his way.

• Advertisement

Hoki wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong , i am fully confident we will win tonight , ye have a threadbare & inexperienced squad that should be there for the taking. What i was getting at is that this Liverpool team wont be dishing out too many hammerings this season. Unless Torres is on fire tonight i can only see us scraping past ye by the odd goal.

seems that conversation is moot, Torres is out and two of those Villa midfielders in Albrighton and Clark (well still primarily a Defender but a good ball player) start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

The lineup all over twitter is Reina, Johnson Skrtel Soto Konch, Lucas Meireles Kuyt Maxi, Babel N'gog. Subs: Jones, Kelly, Aurelio, Poulsen, Shelvey, Jova, Cole

I fear for Skrtel and Soto up against Gabby, its a serious mis match in the pace department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hmmm i`ll go for a 0-0 or 1-1.

Babel in for Torres.......yuck!

JPA wrote: »
    We might, I repeat might, see a performance from Ireland tonight with Young not getting in his way.

I dont like to think that Young not playing would benifit Ireland but tbh I think you may be right. I think he will be in his ideal role tonight of attacking midfielder centre, he will have Clark and Hogg doing the dirty work and will be tasked with creating opportunitys for Gabby and the Wingers and being there to get on the end for chances they create.

Of course he could have this role with young about but with the emregence of Albrighton and the improvements from Downing he didnt get the chance till Ashleys suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

redzerdrog wrote: »
    3-0 to liverpool

have not got a clue why I am being so optimistic

scrap that just heard that torres is out:(

another thing i like about the team being put out by Villa is that we actually have an impact sub in the form of Carew now not that given current form id expect him to make an impact but its nice to have an option for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

another thing i like about the team being put out by Villa is that we actually have an impact sub in the form of Carew now not that given current form id expect him to make an impact but its nice to have an option for a change.

Carew could be an impact sub, he's just too lazy.

Babel for Torres :(

Shows how strong our squad is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

John Barnes wouldn't have done the same.

No carragher torres and gerrard, points to a 3 nil win myself, players all at the same level, call me crazy, but I think we ll see a performance tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No carragher torres and gerrard, points to a 3 nil win myself, players all at the same level, call me crazy, but I think we ll see a performance tonight

You sir, are f.ucking crazy!!! :D

• Advertisement

That's some mad logic.

We will see a performance alright but it could be a shocking one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I wonder will Roy get annoyed with torres and try sell him for a fraction of his worth in the summer?:D

Maybe I am crazy, have a feeling though

so on paper its now:

........................Reina
    Johnson.....Skrtel.......Soto...Konchesky

Kuyt.......Lucas.......Meireles....Maxi

...............N'Gog....Babel

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Aurelio, Poulsen, Shelvey, Jova, Cole

Vs

........................Friedel
    Young.......Dunne.........Collins....Warnock

..................Clark.....Hogg
    Albrighton.........Ireland............Downing

.....................Gabby

Subs: Guzan, Cuellar, Lichaj, Herd, Pires, Delfouneso, Carew

Villa still need to up their performance but im more confident looking at the two lineups now than when i made the OP earlier today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gerrard, Carragher and Torres out, Albrighton and Clark in and Villa still 5.8 on Betfair?

I'm getting involved.

The Fonz is the impact sub, Carew never performs from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

They are the ones holding us back from true greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Footballers should only be allowed pro-create precisely 9 months before the Summer.

Wonder if Man City would pay us big money to put Torres out to stud and mate with talented female footballers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Good to see Albrighton come back. Him and Downing formed a fearsome combination with their running against United, Villa look a different side with the two of them on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Anyone else just see Richard Keys kissing Roys arse live on Sky?

My god that was seriously :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Interesting to see Babel preferred to Cole.

Well I think the team is more balanced without gerrard but he is too brilliant to leave out, I just don't know where to put him, carragher could do with a spell on the bench, torres is a huge loss though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Gerrard, Carragher and Torres out, Albrighton and Clark in and Villa still 5.8 on Betfair?

I'm getting involved.
    I'd personally prefer to see Carragher playing. Agbonlahor would destroy the lummox.

Anyone else just see Richard Keys kissing Roys arse live on Sky?

My god that was seriously :o

What was said roughly? I missed it as it would have meant watching more of Keys/Gray than I could stand without killing someone.

How can Keys say Roy had the best 4-4-2 with Fulham last season when Redknapp got Spurs to 4th with the same system :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Babel and N'Gog will be interesting to say the least.

1-1 Mereiles to score.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

How can Keys say Roy had the best 4-4-2 with Fulham last season when Redknapp got Spurs to 4th with the same system :confused:
    Because he knows nothing about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'm interested to see Babel up front in a 4-4-2, he has the potential to be a poor mans Torres.

And considering they finished 13th, if it even was true, it would show that it isn't a winning system.

• Advertisement

Hate to use the cliche, but it's probably now or never for Babel.
    Imagine he would be one of the players close to the exit door come January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Excellent post*

*not really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ged is applauding the Kop during YNWA.

Be interesting to see how good a reception he gets.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

nice to see GRD get a great response from the crowd.

Cmon lads dont like these 4am kickoffs

UTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hate to use the cliche, but it's probably now or never for Babel.
    Imagine he would be one of the players close to the exit door come January.

I think it is more the case he is outside the door, and this is one of his last chances to reach the knocker or the doorbell!

I like the look of this Villa set up tonight, think this will finish a draw though - hopefully a score draw!

The Greek 22/1 great bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Babel :mad:

shaky defensive start so far but i dont think thats going to be limited to just Villa today, think Gabby will be a handfull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Lively start to the game.

I'd personally prefer to see Carragher playing. Agbonlahor would destroy the lummox.

From the lad who admits singing about Hysel.

Enjoy the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

nice snood on maxi there

• Advertisement
Advertisement