Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses Headford Road Shocking Conditions

• 06-12-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Has anyone seen about 20 horses in a field on Curragh Line on Headford Road Galway. Are they being fed? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do they either have shelter somewhere or have rugs on? What kind of horses are they? What condition score would you give them? A 3 is acceptable for light horses like thoroughbreds and connemaras but not for cobby types like the one in the photo in the attachment here.

I'd be more worried as to whether or not they have an adequate water supply as they will dehydrate very quickly in cold weather.

http://www.newc.co.uk/advice/documents/BodyConditionScoringofHorses-NEWC2005.pdf?PHPSESSID=da6a84cf9a57e2f78e538944b1e2d49f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Email Niall O'Brolchain niallob@oireachtas.ie

He has supposedly lobbied the Council & has been publicising it.

Galway needs to be designated as a Controlled Area for Horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

A 3 should be fine for a cob, they are not meant to look fat they should be workmanlike.

A 3 should be fine for a cob, they are not meant to look fat they should be workmanlike.

Yes but they should still be muscled as opposed to boney, also young horses and OAPs will always look like they have a bit less meat on thier bones. But it should be easy enough to determine the 'average condition' in a group of 20, unless they all have rugs on and you can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi i have mailed him, thanks.

• Advertisement

hi thanks for your mail. they are travellers horses, i have not been able to get out there because of the roads. a friend has seen them and she was distressed by looking at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Copy of letter I sent to Dept. of Agri and Galway County Council:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Can you please tell me if the Dept. of Agriculture (Galway) or anyone from the County Council has been out to check on the neglected horses on the Headford Road? There is a lot of them and they are in very poor condition. These animals have been there for a very long time so this should have been dealt with already. I have already informed the GSPCA so please don't tell me to contact them because it has nothing to do with you. It is absolutely shocking and unacceptable that local government agencies whose bills the taxpayers pay would allow this to continue by turning a blind eye to it. These animals obviously belong to residents of the halting site. These people should be held accountable for this blatant neglect despite their the fact that it may be "part of the traveller culture". Regardless of who anyone is, they should not be allowed to flaunt the law.

I'm sick of their "pass the buck" attitude and those horses have been there for a very long time. Travellers get away with way too much neglect and usually it's because of p.c. brigade defending them. Okay...for the p.c. brigade...They're not all bad.

Is anyone of any authority in this country aware of the fact that hundreds of Irish horses are being rescued by UK organisations, being shipped to mainland UK and sometimes back here to permanent homes at the unnecessary expense of the adopter, or does anybody actually care :confused: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Copy of letter I sent to Dept. of Agri and Galway County Council:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Can you please tell me if the Dept. of Agriculture (Galway) or anyone from the County Council has been out to check on the neglected horses on the Headford Road? There is a lot of them and they are in very poor condition. These animals have been there for a very long time so this should have been dealt with already. I have already informed the GSPCA so please don't tell me to contact them because it has nothing to do with you. It is absolutely shocking and unacceptable that local government agencies whose bills the taxpayers pay would allow this to continue by turning a blind eye to it. These animals obviously belong to residents of the halting site. These people should be held accountable for this blatant neglect despite their the fact that it may be "part of the traveller culture". Regardless of who anyone is, they should not be allowed to flaunt the law.

I'm sick of their "pass the buck" attitude and those horses have been there for a very long time. Travellers get away with way too much neglect and usually it's because of p.c. brigade defending them. Okay...for the p.c. brigade...They're not all bad.

This is very upsetting, I haven't seen the animals but it's terrible that they are suffering like that in this cold weather. Poor little things are in the hands of these monstors. Bloody PC brigade should get a dose of this cruelty and they'd soon be converted.
    Thanks for following up and I am going to do same tomorrow. I met O'Brolacain recently about something else and will email him too. Hope that other people will make some noise about this too.

I fear this has little to do with political correctness, it's simply fear of how these people might retalliate towards those that aproach them :rolleyes:. Since when was tollerating animal cruelty to this degree politically correct :confused: If it was any other minority group regarding any other species of animal this would not be tollerated to this degree even with this county's inadequate approach to animal welfare!

• Advertisement

Carolyyn wrote: »
    I met O'Brolacain recently about something else and will email him too. Hope that other people will make some noise about this too.

I definitely think you are right Carolyyn about enough people "making noise" about them. The relevant departments are very quick to ignore concerns raised by a single person but if a few people do it...they can't ignore it because, shock-horror, they might actually be held accountable for not doing anything.

I and another Boards member (Sec) had a meeting with N. O'Brolchain about this issue very recently, so he is aware of it. He said he would try to lobby local gov. to make Galway a controlled area. However, since the IMF/government debacle he is keeping very quiet about it. I'm sure (in his own opinion) he has more important things to take care of at the moment but please email him anyway. The Headford Road (as he said himself) isn't in his constituency but I'm sure he could get some support if he wanted to.

This is an email I just received from a Galway City Council member:

Good morning Tristan,

I travel the Curraghline road twice daily and could not agree with you more.
    I have reported the matter to my colleagues but am being told that the horses are in the County Council area, even though they may be owned by the residents of the Halting Site.
    It really bothered me on the very cold mornings as I come from a rural area and like animals.

I was involved in a similar situation in the City area.
    The GSPCA were aware of the situation when contacted. They were monitoring how the horses were being treated.
    This is probably a similar situation.

I will contact one of my colleagues in Galway County Council and request some information on the situation.

Interesting in that the GSPCA have been aware about this for some time now. I also emailed them about it a good while ago. Nothing has been done however. Hopefully the person who emailed me will get somewhere with it.

i have been advised by the Irish Horse Welfare Trust to: contact the Galway SPCA or the National Animal Helpline 1890 515 515 as we don’t have inspectors on the ground as such.

i phoned the gardai last sunday and spoke to a garda who is not back till tomorrow, i will phone him tomorrow night. i will drop out food at the weekend and i wonder how i could hightlight for people to do the same...

Dear all

Please mail the following about this: galway bay, niall o'brochlain, co council. It might help email addresses below!

letters@ctribune.ie
    news@galwaybayfm.ie
    niallob@oireachtas.ie
    housing@galwaycity.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

crally wrote: »
    Dear all

Please mail the following about this: galway bay, niall o'brochlain, co council. It might help email addresses below!

letters@ctribune.ie
    news@galwaybayfm.ie
    niallob@oireachtas.ie
    housing@galwaycity.ie

Thanks Crally, I called Niall O'Brolchain's office this morning and followed up with an email. I have just emailed the council and CC'ed to Niall O'B too. Please do the same everybody, and hopefully something will be done because there is more bad weather promised.

Email I received yesterday from Galway City Council:

Dear Tristan,

I have been in contact with Galway County Council.
    I have been informed that their Vet and Housing Section will investigate the matter.
    They hope to liaise with our Housing Section

Email I received this morning which I don't know is good or bad :confused::

Good morning Tristan,

I did not see any horses out there this morning.
    There was a bit of activity with a trailer, etc.
    Hopefully we will improve conditions for the horses.

I asked if this was related to the County Council or just the travellers hiding the animals out of the public view. This was the response:

Anything is possible.
    All we can do is monitor the activities as much as possible.

Hmmm, I don't know if they have been checked on by the Co.Co. No one in the Co. Co. responded to my email. Nor did the GSPCA or the Dept. Of Agri. The only person who did is working for the City Council and they don't have any jurisdiction there.

hi. I have phoned the veg shop in shopping centre n am pickin up food for them on Sat at 12. I have spoken to Galway Bay and now they have moved them?? i have been told that someone has leased the field to them therefore they are not on PUBLIC LAND. please let me know if anyone sees them or knows where they are being moved to.

That whole "Public Land" is such a cop-out for the authorities. Gets them right off the hook with dealing with cruelty. It's like me beating someone up in a house and the gardai saying they can't intervene because it's not public property. Well, that's what I make of it anyway.

hi. I have phoned the veg shop in shopping centre n am pickin up food for them on Sat at 12. I have spoken to Galway Bay and now they have moved them?? i have been told that someone has leased the field to them therefore they are not on PUBLIC LAND. please let me know if anyone sees them or knows where they are being moved to.

Be very careful about what you feed them & only feed in very small quantities. A lot of greenstuff could be fatal as it could induce colic. Also bear in mind that if well meaning individuals feed them then the owner can state that they are being fed.

The "owners" will know the law. By keeping them outside of the City boundary they will try to exempt them from any proposed Controlled Area legislation. There is no way that the Co Co would designate the whole county as a controlled area.

The key to doing anything about this is gathering reliable, regular & accurate evidence.

It doesn't matter if they are on private land. The 1965 Protection of Animals Act Section 16 states that:

For the purposes of any proceedings the occupier of the land where an animal is found is presumed to be the owner of the animal, unless the contrary is proven.

So in effect the owner of the land would be very keen to reveal who owns the horses otherwise he gets prosecuted.

If the Council would just shift it's arse & make the City plus certain surrounds a controlled area, which they can do with a simple by law, then every horse would have to be licensed. They could insist on every horse being microchipped & the Gardai would be able to stop & search.

hi. I have phoned the veg shop in shopping centre n am pickin up food for them on Sat at 12.

Veg will have little nutritional value to them, not at all a suitable diet and likely to cause gut problems and fights, a few bales of hay would be much better and more cost effective.

<ETA> Hayledge should also be fed with caution!

• Advertisement

If people really want to stop animal cruelty there are clear cut steps that you have to follow. Firstly a Vet must examine the animals & agree that they are in sufficiently poor condition to constitute cruelty. The Vet must be willing to provide evidence. Next you go to the Gardai, with the Vet evidence, & report the matter. You should make it absolutely clear that you expect immediate action & that you will not hesitate to make a formal complaint if the matter is not dealt with urgently.

If the Gardai have evidence from a Vet they know that there is a very good chance of a successful prosecution as the defendant would have to find a Vet that would testify that the animals are OK. If the Gardai believe that the animals are being subjected to cruelty they have quite wide ranging powers of arrest & seizure.

The problem with all of this is that the animals may well end up being put down. The other problem is that people will deny owning the animals. One way around this, if one is brave enough, is to seize the animal. I have witnesses a SPCA inspector taking a tethered pony. All of the spectators denied that it was theirs. But once they saw it being led away an owner emerged. This was in the good times when the horses were worth money. Today the owner might be glad to see the animal being removed.

hi. food: i googled this n it said horses can eat anything apart from apple seeds. i do not know much about horses and i do not want to make matters worse. how much is hay anyone?? I contacted galway bay n asked them to hightlight this matter. they did, gspca spoke n said it was an epidemic cattle n horses n could people feed them! no mention of what with! same day a garda ph me. i had ph them the prev sun n when the radio station ph them they said no one had made a complaint about this!! i ph the cops again n said that i do hope he had logged my complaint. he prob did nil. after the radio a cop ph me. he had it chk out. did not see 20 horses anywere. saw 7 n one field, further in a dead horse in a field! and up the road on the other side 2 horses v thin but being fed! i had planned to get the veg n go there. can i give them any veg? any idea how much hay is?? i could get some. any horse advise welcome re the water etc if it freezes again.

I went into Olympic Saddlery about a week ago to get some food for another abandoned pony in my area. The shop keeper told me that it was okay to feed them almost anything. He said if they don't like it they won't eat it and I asked him specifically about vegetables. He said no problem at all. I bought 2 bales of hayledge for the pony on his recommendation. He said to give them the meal stuff could drive a non-working animal a bit mad whereas the hayledge (treated hay I think) would sustain them for longer periods. Also, they can't eat it as quickly as meal.

I have the use of family-owned land (approx. 100 acres) in Sligo. It's no longer a working farm. I would have no problem putting abandoned horses onto it but it's the feeding that's the problem. There are fields that we used to make hay/silage from but how much does it cost to get a contractor to bale it? Is this a feasible idea?

The shop keeper told me that it was okay to feed them almost anything. He said if they don't like it they won't eat it and I asked him specifically about vegetables. He said no problem at all.

Horses will eat anything if they are hungry enough. I am not a horse expert but I was always told to be very careful with horses that have been denied good food. A friend of mine was involved with the horrific RSPCA horse rescue in the UK. It took months to get the horses feeding properly.

I believe (horse people please correct me) that it is a simply a case of rich food after no food. We would suffer if we starved & then ate a big steak. A stomach upset for us is nothing too serious but for a horse it can be fatal as the gut can twist & block.

Might be worth seeking advice in the Equestrian section here.

I have been keeping an eye on the 4 horses alongside the Rahoon Road (by the Linen Supply factory). One of them has a hugely swollen stomach. Could it be pregnant at this time of year :confused: I already emailed the GSPCA and the Dept. of Agri. about it because it doesn't seem well. It stands turned away from the other horses and it doesn't seem to be feeding. There is silage there now but it was only put there fairly lately after putting lots of pressure on the GSPCA to help do something. it's stomach isn't symmetrically swollen. It looks like it's more-so on one side.

I would call the GSPCA & get them to get a Vet out just in case. From the net:

Among the most frequent causes of this form of colic are to be mentioned sudden changes of food, too long fasting, food then
    given while the animal is exhausted, new hay or grain, large quantities of green food, food that has lain in the manger for some time and become sour, indigestible food, irregular teeth, crib-biting, and, in fact, anything that produces indigestion may produce flatulent colic.

The symptoms of wind colic are not so suddenly developed not so severe as those of cramp colic. At first the horse is noticed to be dull, paws slightly, and may or may not lie down. The pains from the start are continuous. The belly enlarges, and by striking it in front of the haunches a drumlike sound results. If not soon relieved the above symptoms are aggravated, and in addition there are noticed difficult breathing, bloodshot eyes, and red mucous membranes, loud tumultuous heart beat, profuse perspiration, trembling of front legs, sighing respiration, staggering from side to side, and, finally, plunging forward dead. The diagnostic symptoms of flatulent colic is the distention of the bowels with gas, detected by the bloated appearance and resonance on percussion.

It's as simple as this lads, horses are trickle feeders there digestive systems are designed to deal with a small amount of forage, their stomach is tiny, they cannont deal with a large amount of food in one go and they don't have a gag reflex so cannot bring up anything that doesn't agree with them. Most people who own horses haven't a clue, most people who own saddlerys haven't a clue! A bale of hay is about €3.50, silage should never, ever be fed to a horse and is most likely the cause of that baby belly you describe!

How many times now have I posted on this forum for people not to feed horses ffs!!

How many times now have I posted on this forum for people not to feed horses ffs!!
    So...leave them to starve? What do you propose? Seriously. Do you have an alternative?

So...leave them to starve? What do you propose? Seriously. Do you have an alternative?

Yes, find someone who knows what they are doing and let them do it, or follow the correct procedure as Discodog has stated. Even if you start feeding and are doing it properly, once you start you have to keep doing it and there is no way of knowing how many people have taken it on themselves to feed the same horses. To feed 20 horses you are going to need a round bale every 3 days at a cost of €35 a time. How long do you plan to feed someone else's horses at this cost?

It amazes me how many people are so quick to jump in and start feeding them whatever and think they're doing a great job. Have you checked the water supply for any of these horses?

The fact is that animal welfare in this country, like everything else is a complete mess. There aren't enough people who give enough of a crap to change this fact and those that do give enough of a crap have to go down the correct routes or nothing will ever change!

• Advertisement

Yes. Start gathering proper evidence. Take photos, note dates, when they are fed, watered etc. Build a case & then publicise it widely. "Galway Council refuse to help suffering horses". Force the Council to either make Galway a controlled area or suffer the bad publicity.

Put some videos on youtube & link to them. Write to the press "Green Senator hypocrisy as they act on puppy farms but leave horses to suffer". Do a press release but don't refer to any one specific horse. Keep it general.

The Councillors, Politicians do not care one jot about the horses but they do care about their image. We are approaching an election so use it. Force them to take a position. Send each one a letter. "Will you agree to a by law to make Galway a controlled area for horses - Yes or No. An immediate response is required to enable us to decide who we vote for. A failure to respond will be taken as a No. All replies/non replies will be notified/published. "

If you feed my horse & it gets ill I can sue you. You could even face a cruelty charge - OK unlikely but possible. I can also say that I haven't fed them because someone else is doing it for free.

If you want to feed then get some hay bales. Then break off a few handfuls, put them in a big liner & take the to the horses. But take some pics of them eating the hay to cover yourself.

Advertisement