Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMall amounts of oil

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Where is the cheapest place to get small amounts of oil? Eg less than 100 euro worth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Hi Bob,
    You dont say where you are at but if near a border town it would be cheaper to throw 4 25l drums in the car and get it in the north.
    I would guess if you could collect it from any oil supplier it would be the same as getting it delivered.

Theblueirish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Hi Bob,
    You dont say where you are at but if near a border town it would be cheaper to throw 4 25l drums in the car and get it in the north.
    I would guess if you could collect it from any oil supplier it would be the same as getting it delivered.

Theblueirish

I am in Letterkenny but I could try the north I think

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi Bob,

Theblueirish
    +1 to this.

In Clady and Strabane you can get the 20 litre drums for around £10 or €12. I think they are about €22 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Make sure the customs don't catch you tho!!!

customs wont do anything for 100L, same way as they dont go after northern cars with little vrt due, they only go after the big ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

If you go into Lynton and Robinsons in Strabane they sell a cap with an open shut nozzle on it that screws onto the drums,they're great for preventing the first 5 litres from going all over the tank when u try to empty them:mad: They cost £10 but well worth it. 20 litres of oil in Strabane was £10.50 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

In recent months Customs were on the look out for people with over the average amounts of alcohol in vehicles so I'd imagine they will up their checkpoints in the run up to xmas and especially after the budget.

I would seriously doubt they would dismiss upto 100l of heating oil if they came across is but their checkpoints are not that frequent - I imagine that will change after the budget in all cases.

I have also never known them to ignore any VRT issues irrelevant of amount. They are very black and white on the law and oil is a big issue for them at present. They also dip vans, cars and lorries for Green Diesel regardless of amounts, I would be sure they don't ignore amounts up to 100l unfortunately.

ASFAIK they have more power than the Gardai in lots of cases.

Anyway, Kerosenge in South is dyed red and is white in North so bear in mind they can tell is they stop you anywhere in possession.

I know from first hand they tend to ignore cars with little VRT,
    last year they lay in wait for me leaving my house, there was over 10k VRT due on my car.
    Where did they lie in wait? in a house with two Northern registered cars in the driveway, funny thing is they still have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

thAnks for the replys but I won't get up north for a while. Where is the cheapest in Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Home heating oil is available from pumps in Derry for approx 49p per litre.
    So 500litres will cost you £245, approx €292.
    500litres is currently around €375 in Donegal. Some difference.

I recently had the debate with someone about why exactly home heating oil is illegal to carry over the border. This confuses me.

After all, I pay the VAT on it in the North, so why can't I bring it down? And if it is illegal, why does this not apply to everything you buy in the North, like food, drink, clothes, electrials etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

I priced 500 litres in Ballybofey on Monday past and i was quoted €390.
    I was told today that it will be over the €400 mark by next week.

muffler wrote: »
    +1 to this.
    In Clady and Strabane you can get the 20 litre drums for around £10 or €12. I think they are about €22 here.
    I went down to Clady this morning and bought 100 litres for €60. This is a saving of €20 per 100 litres ( €100 per 500 litres!! )

martic wrote: »
    If you go into Lynton and Robinsons in Strabane they sell a cap with an open shut nozzle on it that screws onto the drums
    I took your advice and bought this cap in L&R. I have to say it makes the job a lot cleaner although it does slow the process down a bit. When each drum was over half emptied i took off the cap and just poured the rest in to the tank to speed thing up. Just be careful - the cap is a standard size and fits a standard 20 litre drum. I had one odd ball drum that was not standard size and it was a real mess putting it into the tank.( i was told that a traffic cone is the best job for a funnel.)

The journey down cost me no more than €5 in diesel and overall a good saving was made. It is also an affordable alternative for anyone that cannot afford to buy the required minimum 500 litre delivery from most southern dealers and its all above board too.

Just maybe if the oil cartels company's in Donegal see a drop in trade because of this, they may decide to drop their prices accordingly. It was disgusting and no coincidence either that every single oil company in Ballybofey just happened to raise their price of home heating oil by 2c/litre the day before the budget. Like most people i would prefer to buy local for the obvious reasons, but if i think that im being ripped off or i can make a saving by shopping else where then thats just what ill do.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Totally agree Irlpic,

If the Donegal suppliers were decent and not rip-off merchants then we'd all buy from them no bother. I would love to pay my money into the Irish economy rather than the NI/UK one, but if they are gonna rip off the ordinary public then **** 'em I say.

They deserve all they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

So if you bring 50-75 liters across the border is it going to get you in trouble with customs if you get stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

kiddums wrote: »
    So if you bring 50-75 liters across the border is it going to get you in trouble with customs if you get stopped?

anything less than 100 litres is not liable for duties, therefore it is not smuggling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Thanks. I just found out I pass an oil place on my way home from work so I could easily bring 2 or 3 drums with me on my way.

I just need to get some drums fairly cheeap.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

anyone names the places in strabane and clady im not familiar with them thanks

Westwood wrote: »
    anyone names the places in strabane and clady im not familiar with them thanks

cross the bridge in clady and you have a place on the right beside where the army base used to be. you can buy it here in the drum if you dont have any

cross lifford bridge and dolans filling station is on your right

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

cross lifford bridge and dolans filling station is on your right

Is that the topaz travellers rest place on the left hand side when you cross the bridge? Do they sell it in drums or do you need your own?

cosanostra wrote: »
    Is that the topaz travellers rest place on the left hand side when you cross the bridge? Do they sell it in drums or do you need your own?

sorry it is on the left, yes it is the topaz

you need your own drums. yesterday it was 57.9p stg
    but i noticed the petrol price went up this morning so the kero will not be far behind it

thanks for that and whats the deal with coal cross boarder im getting 40kg bags of ovoids smokless blend here which is fantastic stuff but its about 15E from local man. looking to get another 6 untill spring anyone know where to get good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Ruskey

What ever happened to EU Free Trade?

I know that the state illegally charges VRT on cross border cars but can they (illegally) do this with fuel also?

I've heard that there is some loop hole that they can do this because cars aren't produced here so they get away with it that way so is this the same with fuel? And if so is it illegal for a northern motorist to fill their cars with cheaper petrol/diesel in the ROI and then drive back home?

Some day someone will take these government crooks to a European court

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ruskey wrote: »
    What ever happened to EU Free Trade?

I know that the state illegally charges VRT on cross border cars but can they (illegally) do this with fuel also?

I've heard that there is some loop hole that they can do this because cars aren't produced here so they get away with it that way so is this the same with fuel? And if so is it illegal for a northern motorist to fill their cars with cheaper petrol/diesel in the ROI and then drive back home?

Some day someone will take these government crooks to a European court
    Please stay on topic.

Thanks

sorry for bringing up old thread. but has anyone done their sums this year on 25l drums of oil, is it still cheaper to buy them cross the border, then getting it delivered ??

I got some about 3 weeks ago, its was 65.9p in Dolans on Lifford road.
    Will be getting some more this week if I get time I will update prices.

Advertisement